Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissJeanavive said:
I tried some Oxy, but still have some spots. I am going to try one more soak to see if it does the trick with out destroying the fabric.

How long did you soak them for?

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
White Glove & Lemons = Beauty.

Yes, thank you, they are white gloves.

- I just did a quick application and rinse with the Oxy yesterday. Figuring less is more if it worked the first round.

- Lemon Juice; I have that. I will try a spot treatment of that on one to see what it does.

BTW: Lemons are amazing ladies!

I take lemon juice in rm temp water every morning. It creates a glowing complexion, flushes toxins and for those concerned with weight it is said to help with that.

Mind you lemons are a bit pricey these days and for those minding your pennies in this Recession look to friends or neighbors who have tree's overrunneth.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Soak in the oxyclean and water for -days-, checking on them each evening to see their state....seriously.....a quick application probably just wasn't enough.

Miss N is right. If I'm trying to get something out using Oxyclean, especially if it's been in a long time, I go with the soak, and I use the longer soaking times recommended as a minimum. Usually, I have stuff in for a minimum of 6 hours. Also, go in and agitate it once in a while. I've only used it on all white 100% cotton stuff though, so be careful. Some gals have had trouble with it on colored items.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissJeanavive said:
- I just did a quick application and rinse with the Oxy yesterday. Figuring less is more if it worked the first round.

A quick application won't do squat. At the very least, you need to soak overnight, in the warmest water the fabric can tolerate. Unless the fabric has some serious degradation, Oxyclean won't destroy your vintage stuff - unless you soak multiple items together and one of them isn't colorfast. Learned that one the hard way.

My last Oxy soak took out 50 year old sweat stains.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I buy so many vintage linens that I actually have a constantly running Oxy-clean bucket....

Keep adding water..and new linens.....

I actually got huge brownish grease stains off the front of a vintage apron just by soaking in oxyclean.....and I was not sure it was actually going to work.

D...who needs to stop buying linens before she morphs into Martha Stewart

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
I buy so many vintage linens that I actually have a constantly running Oxy-clean bucket....

Keep adding water..and new linens.....

I actually got huge brownish grease stains off the front of a vintage apron just by soaking in oxyclean.....and I was not sure it was actually going to work.

D...who needs to stop buying linens before she morphs into Martha Stewart

Ohhh for grease stains try using blue dawn dishsoap.. It's fantastic for removing oily stuff.. Wildlife rehabilitators use it to deoil birds...
For laundry stuff i just pour a blob on the stain and let it sit.. The was as usual. Works like a charm on knits too...

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
im sure i read somewhere a tip on using cat litter to take the smells away!

wrap your items in light tissue paper, and place in a box, covering it with cat litter.

Maybe someone else here has tried it![huh]

The Shirt

Practically Family
Sometimes I try the mothballs and set it outside trick. Otherwise I tuck a dryer sheet into the pocket to clear up the smell. The cat litter one works as well.

I know we used to have a long post about getting out smells but I couldn't locate it this morning. Must need coffee.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baking soda! Put the item in a plastic bag with a cup of baking soda and leave it for a week. Won't hurt the leather or silk or feathers or fur...
I would not recommend Febreze on anything vintage as it is will make things wet.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
hello ladies. Does anyone have a tip on how to get waterstains out of satin? I found this beautiful boudoir chair from the 30's ( I know it is not clothing, but it has fabric ;) ). I got it for 20 euros, so I consider it a steel even though it is terribly waterstained. I would like to keep the original upholstery so I was thinking someone here had the knowledge to help me. Thank you.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
mackenzie said:
hello ladies. Does anyone have a tip on how to get waterstains out of satin?

Sorry, water stains cannot be removed other than water staining the whole thing all over. I would suggest a reupholstering job.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
mackenzie said:
Thanks.
I guess I'm going to try my friend that has a car interior cleanener. If it does not work I guess I have to redo the upholstery.

Note that any cleaner that is wet will waterstain satin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24