Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Has anyone come across the mysterious rust-coloured vintage dust before?! I've got a vintage nylon jacket/top with a real fur collar and it is emitting said strange dust and I can't tell where the dust is coming from - the fabric or the fur. This has happened to me before with something vintage but i can't remember which garment. Has anybody else had this experience? Maybe I should just take it to the dry cleaners and see what they say.

I've had this rust dust before from just a plain rayon blouse. It puzzled me for a while until I realised it was coming from the safety pins used to keep the arm shields in place.

Back on topic, I certainly won't be taking my vintage items to my local dry cleaners anymore! He made 3 of my rayon crepe dresses shiny due to probably ironing them face up. They are still wearable but it's annoying :rage:

Mary

Practically Family
Good to actually learn how to handwash.:) I've always been taking the dress up and down into the water but swirling it around seems so much gentler.

Do you think softeners are good for a fabric in the long run? Or can they ruin the fabric? I've used them when I handwash in could water too hide the fabics bad smell. How do you get the bad smell out of old dresses?

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
How do you get the bad smell out of old dresses?

I would try a dilute bath of white vinegar and water. Vinegar is great for neutralizing odors. Just wash it regularly after that to help get rid of the vinegar smell.

Mary

Practically Family
Oh. How much vinegar and how much water?

I'll try it on something I don't like to see if I can stand the vinegar smell. But it seems very enviormentlaly friendly and I like that.

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
Oh. How much vinegar and how much water?

I don't know, it's not rocket science :) Vinegar is strong so it probably doesn't have to be much. You probably only need 1/4 cup for a sinkful of water. You might also want to air the item out well outside on a clothesline when you're done.

Here is some basic information about using baking soda as well. Baking soda can act like a fabric softener for clothes and you can use it in conjunction with vinegar. http://home.howstuffworks.com/uses-for-baking-soda-clothing-care-ga.htm

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks! When I try it I'll post some comments here.

The bakingsoda again! It's going to take over my life.

Amazing homepage by the way they even have how to give first aid to your dog and other things but it's almost to much. It could make me scared of living. "Have to read how to buy food.. "

M

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just got a new 30s rayon dress. It's quite smelly and very wrinkled. I know I've read about putting it outside. Do you put in the sun or shade or does it matter? Also, can it be ironed? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm a little bummed. I handwashed a beaded turquoise sweater over the weekend. As it air-dried flat all the areas that were creased held the dye - so now its a bit streaky. I used oxyclean to pre-treat the small stain and those did come out. I don't mind the slight fading or the dye washing out, nor a little bit of shrinkage as it's a bit big for me. But the streaks are definitely noticeable.

Do you think I should try it one more time to try and get a more even color - or perhaps just a water rinse? Any ideas?

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
Has anyone used one of these to clean their vintage garments as opposed to going to the regular dry cleaners? And if you were to hand wash Rayon, what is the best way? I've had it shrink before.. but I think I washed it in warm water.:(

Thanks!!

I work with vintage garments on a regular basis. My job is basically to take grandma's or great grandma's wedding dress and veil out of retirement so that a new bride can wear them. I deal w/ silk, rayon, polyester, netting that is over 100 years old on a daily basis.

Let me stress to you- eco drycleaners are still dry cleaners. They suck all the moisture out of your fabrics no matter what. And honestly, some dry cleaners aren't dry at all. They'll wash and dry your clothing in a giant machine while it all hangs on a hanger. The force of the steam/ chemicals that are going through your garments are only recommended for "healthy" fabrics.

Woolite is the best thing I can recommend. Soak your rayon in cold water in a sink overnight w/ a capful of woolite mixed in. Rinse well w/ cold and then hang dry.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Smuterella said:
I'm really worried about a recent purchase, its a dress and jacket that look like they are made from shot silk. unfortunately all the seams have given way - I have reinforced them all and it seems to be holding together but I'm concerned I'll wash it and it will just disintegrate.

Any recommendations?

Soak it in milk to add some protein back in to the fiber. To clean it, soak it in woolite. haha- i just said that about rayon in the previous post, but it's a tried and true solution for me. Cold vat of water w/ a capful of woolite. soak overnight, then rinse w/ cold water. Hang dry. Don't wring out your silk.

Iron on a medium/ hot setting w/ minimal steam to get rid of any water marks that may occur.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
I just got a new 30s rayon dress. It's quite smelly and very wrinkled. I know I've read about putting it outside. Do you put in the sun or shade or does it matter? Also, can it be ironed? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

I'm going to be the new spokesperson for woolite apparently!

Woolite Woolite Woolite!!

I would keep it out of the sun. Sun bleaching can be harsh onolder fabrics. It can be ironed, but carefully. The best recommendation I can make is to wash your dress and let it hang dry. When it is completely dry, mist it w/ water from a spray bottle (a little at a time) and iron it on a medium setting. Don't use steam!! Not only could this shrink your fabric, but it could also melt it. The mist will keep your fabric pliable while ironing, and provide enough steam in the fabric to relax the wrinkles.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
I'm a little bummed. I handwashed a beaded turquoise sweater over the weekend. As it air-dried flat all the areas that were creased held the dye - so now its a bit streaky. I used oxyclean to pre-treat the small stain and those did come out. I don't mind the slight fading or the dye washing out, nor a little bit of shrinkage as it's a bit big for me. But the streaks are definitely noticeable.

Do you think I should try it one more time to try and get a more even color - or perhaps just a water rinse? Any ideas?

What about washing it and letting it hang dry this time? The dye will drip down the shirt if it does in fact still have unset dye. That way it won't pool.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks so much Cherry Bombb! I haven't done anything to it yet. It does smell a lot better just from hanging in the house. She shipped it in a ziploc bag all the way from Italy and I think it just made it smell worse being confined-lol. So I may be able to get by wearing it for the show with just ironing it. Thanks again!!!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh, another question. What do you recommend for modern wedding dresses? I got married about a year ago and never had my dress cleaned- I kinda think it's a racket to charge $200 to dry clean it. I really never have anything dry cleaned, too many items I've gotten back ruined. But do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Texas Girl- Here's the thing. Years ago people almost forced you to dry clean and preserve your dress. It was almost a blasphemy to NOT do that. Over the years they've come to one conclusion: Preserving your dress is a 50% chance that it will stand the test of time.

The best dresses that I've had to deal with were cleaned (yes dry cleaned) after the wedding, stuffed into a linen/ cotten/ silk/ rayon bag, and stored in a cedar chest. Dresses stored in the attic whether hung or boxed in acid free boxes are still subject to major changes of heat and/ or moisture causing them to disintegrate, yellow beyond repair, moth eaten, etc.

Yes- I do recommend getting it dry cleaned. But ask them not to press it or box it. Why do you want to pay an extra $75-$100 to get a dress pressed that when it's taken out years from now is still going to need to be pressed?! That's just silly!! Getting it cleaned is a good idea though because having to take any stains out years from now only makes it harder to do so. And especially on the trains of dresses. Not to mention, based on what chemical mixture we use, we know EXACTLY what it was that is on your dress. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will stress to you though, all fabrics will yellow over time, as most of us have come to realize. Even though the fabric will yellow, you want to keep it in a good and useable condition. If it becomes too brittle... well, we've had our fair share of those, haven't we?

The best way to store it that we recommend (if you don't have a cedar chest) is to clean it, fold it, put it in a cotton pillow case w/ some cedar blocks/ balls and store it in your every day closet. It keeps the shoulders/ straps of your dress from being strained on a hanger, the cedar balls keep the moths or other no-goodies out, keeping it in your closet will prevent it from yellowing as much, and the pillow case will allow your fabric to breathe.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
The best way to store it that we recommend (if you don't have a cedar chest) is to clean it, fold it, put it in a cotton pillow case w/ some cedar blocks/ balls and store it in your every day closet. It keeps the shoulders/ straps of your dress from being strained on a hanger, the cedar balls keep the moths or other no-goodies out, keeping it in your closet will prevent it from yellowing as much, and the pillow case will allow your fabric to breathe.

You put the cedar right in with the dress? Just checking. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner