Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Lovely job. :eusa_clap
It sounds like you saved and then turned the ugly duckling into a beautiful wearable hat,
or something like that:D

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, everyone! It was definitely worth all the work. My sewing skills certainly improved from all the repetition, not to mention learning a trick. It seems that the ribbon on the brim was easier to sew on when I lightly dampened it with my spray bottle. And, after having been frustrated in the past with polyester ribbon, I am very glad to have found a source for the good cotton-rayon blend stuff. Makes all the difference in the world for a nice smooth binding and band.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I was finally able to get hold of a Long Oval block in my size! My thanks to John Galt for helping me acquire it. Thought I'd try it out and reblock this 4X OR from the '80s...seems to be a nice straight sided block too. John figured it was one of the Beaver Brand blocks that was auctioned off when the company went under....

OR_on_LO_Block_02.jpg

OR_on_LO_Block.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TY esteban! and congrats on finding the right block for your noggin, TJones. I am currently about halfway through carving my own block out of wood. I now understand why they cost so darn much. It is a lot of time and elbow grease shaping it, and I am certainly glad now that I opted for pine instead of oak or other hardwoods.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TY esteban! and congrats on finding the right block for your noggin, TJones. I am currently about halfway through carving my own block out of wood. I now understand why they cost so darn much. It is a lot of time and elbow grease shaping it, and I am certainly glad now that I opted for pine instead of oak or other hardwoods.

I'd definitely like to see what you come up with after you get your block carved. Maybe your next project, after your block, could be a brim flange. That's what I'm looking for now.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
T Jones,It's cool you found a block.I see your putting it to good use.

Oh yeah, definitely putting it to use. The plastic hat shapers I've been using work out ok, but they don't come close in comparison to having an actual vintage wooden block. Now my search will be on for a brim flange, then after that, more hat tools and more blocks!

Nice, Terry! A block sure is handy.
Hey, have you heard from John Galt? He has had a couple of my hats since August, and I cannot get him to respond to any PMs. I hate to bother him, but, you know. Any help would be appreciated.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Terry! A block sure is handy.
Hey, have you heard from John Galt? He has had a couple of my hats since August, and I cannot get him to respond to any PMs. I hate to bother him, but, you know. Any help would be appreciated.

I spoke with John last week. During the course of conversation he mentioned that he was going to finish up some hats he was working on. He mentioned yours and a couple other Loungers. Try giving him a call and see how far along he is with your hats.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'd definitely like to see what you come up with after you get your block carved. Maybe your next project, after your block, could be a brim flange. That's what I'm looking for now.

Geez, am I wrong to think maybe Bond has some flanges he was wanting to sell? Ask him he may have something for you.

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
I was finally able to get hold of a Long Oval block in my size! My thanks to John Galt for helping me acquire it. Thought I'd try it out and reblock this 4X OR from the '80s...seems to be a nice straight sided block too. John figured it was one of the Beaver Brand blocks that was auctioned off when the company went under....

OR_on_LO_Block_02.jpg

OR_on_LO_Block.jpg
Nice block T Jones. Quite a find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace