Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks you very much Geldoc and Jeff.

Jeff, nicely done, can't better look. The Cattleman Crease comes good on you!

Phineas, nice work on your wool. The result looks very good!

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I got my ribbon in the mail today! Thanks Bond. Now my 50 cent hat is finished.

2013-06-27221938_zpsa14ea71b.jpg

2013-06-27221920_zpsf15d1dc8.jpg

Here it is on:
2013-06-27222033_zps796fd1a5.jpg

and at home with the family:
2013-06-27222128_zps2d7f4841.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A few pics from the process. You can see that even when I tried to sew in the new sweatband, I still couldn't execute quite the crown height I originally intended, from the faint red pencil line!

iy7k.jpg

gy9x.jpg

looked better the following day, but not perfect, and not quite as snug as I thought. Still a much better fit than before!

2p9n.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
Resistol Stockman Conversion

My first attempt at converting a beat up old Resistol Stockman into a somewhat servicable fedora. Removed 3/8" from brim, sanded edge, made a rather crude ribbon, steamed, brushed, and rebashed. Great fun.

IMG_1691.jpg

resistol cowboy hat.jpg IMG_1690.jpg

Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
10X Custom Made Beaver

I couldn't bring myself to put an exacto knife to this beautiful, custom made 10x beaver cowboy hat so I decided to try for an ugly duckling cowboy hat to beautiful swan fedora/homburg kind of thing. Two hours over a steaming tea kettle, lots of brushing, lots of rebashing, and worth every minute of it. Went with a fedora teardrop bash and dropped the brim to achieve a style I much prefer. The pencil rolled brim was too perfect to touch.
dusty cowboy hat 2.jpg dusty cowboy hat 1.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice conversions guys. Just a thought about steaming a hat ,ditch the tea kettle method and find a "steamfast"steamer that sits on the table top . Cost about 20. Or so and their well worth it. Bought mine on amazon, guarantee you'll never go back to a tea kettle .

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words gentlemen. I've only just rekindled my love of good hats that started with an old Stetson Open Road that my grandfather gave me when I was eighteen. I gave it a diamond bash and wore it all through my "hippie" years, but alas, it was left behind somewhere along the way. I'll definitely check out the "steamfast" steamer, Bond. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou