Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The County Recycled My Sixties Open Road

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yep. It was in a Stetson box, sitting next to my desk, waiting to go to Optimo for a new sweat band. This past weekend the county maintenance guys came to clean the carpets. They moved my hat out into the hall, and when they were finished cleaning, just left it there. Our janitor came in the next morning, and thinking the vintage Stetson box to be garbage, put it (and my OR) into the recycle cart...and hauled it away.

So now I'm watching several sixties ORs on e-bay...trying to decide which of them Craven County's taxpayers will buy for me. ;)

AF

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Atticus, you seem to be dealing with this tragedy with far more equanimity than I ever could. But a couple of sandwiches from Moore's would have peppped me up some.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As long as it will become playground mulch for the kiddies, I guess that's not too...

no, that's just terrible.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Are you sure it got tossed or will it possibly turn up on ebay? You never know...

Yeah, it got recycled. Our office manger asked the janitor about it. He told her that he remembered seeing it and, "not understanding why Mr. Adair would be throwing out his Stetson"...he figured "something must have been bad wrong with it."

But it really wasn't Goober's fault. The fault clearly lies with the carpet idiots who moved all my stuff into the hall, and then failed to bring my hat back into my office.

And unfortunately for them, their boss is married to my office manager.

AF

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is one sad story.

Where does the recycle cardboard go? Call the Waste Management place. I KNOW sometimes when they pick things off the conveyor belt, the workers pull off anything that shouldn't be there, or something they may want to "save"..

May be a long shot, but there could soon be a WM driver wearing a Stetson, coming to a neighborhood near you!

Maybe, despite the family relationship, the carpet folks may try to make it right.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
And unfortunately for them, their boss is married to my office manager.

AF

Then all is well that ends well....even though there will be new additions for unemployment benefits, I'll gladly pay my part!

Condolences.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Sorry to hear of it... I'd say give them a call. The worst that can happen is that they say they don't have it. It's worth a shot, though; there still are good samaritans out there who would put it aside incase someone claims it.

All the best,
flute

Justdog

Practically Family
Sympathies

Atticus Finch said:
Yep.

So now I'm watching several sixties ORs on e-bay...trying to decide which of them Craven County's taxpayers will buy for me. ;)

AF
My sympathies Atticus but alas another future aquisition awaits;)

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
What size do you wear?

Atticus,

What size do you wear? I have 2 - 7 1/8 ORs that I don't wear because my wife does not like me in light colored hats. I have never been motivated enough to put them on OFAS but might pass them on to a fellow lounger in need. I haven't even gotten one of them out of the box in years. If you are interested, I will check the condition and take pictures.

Robert

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
GA Wildlifer said:
Atticus,

What size do you wear? I have 2 - 7 1/8 ORs that I don't wear because my wife does not like me in light colored hats. I have never been motivated enough to put them on OFAS but might pass them on to a fellow lounger in need. I haven't even gotten one of them out of the box in years. If you are interested, I will check the condition and take pictures.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Sadly, I'm one of FL's big-mellon guys. I wear a size 7 5/8 in new hats and sometimes a 7 3/4 in vintage. That's another reason that the loss on my sixties OR was a bit painfull...great, big Open Roads are a tad difficult to find.

But the good news is the County has agreed to buy me another hat. So I'm watching several auctions to see what large, vintage ORs are selling for these days...

AF

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Give it a week. You'll be driving by some homeless guy wearing a tattered hat, as he's pushing his shopping cart down the sidewalk. You'll start wondering ... :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
All's Well That Ends Well...

I finally found an Open Road on e-bay almost exactly like the one Craven County sent to the dump. Like the other one, it has a black sweatband, a diamond liner, a white bow and a square size tag...so I'm thinking it dates from the sixties or seventies.

So I managed to "win" the auction...no too difficult, really, since I was using taxpayer's money...and the hat arrived today. Its in good shape and is a size larger than the other one. Also, its a long oval, so there will be no need to send this one to Optimo for re-sizing. I'm happy.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran