Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Cowichan Sweater"

KOOLKERNEY

New in Town
They are hot right now with the hipsters and university students here (western Canada). I saw 5 different people wearing them on the street yesterday. One was even a vest, sort of a sleeveless cowichan.

Spam:
I actually have one I'm prepping for sale. If you interested drop me a line. I could hold it till you arrive in country.

They are everywhere where I am from, and I come by them quite regularly at vintage and thrift shops. I do like them, but their popularity in my region definitely makes them less desirable.

I had a Dude sweater! It was awesome...the fit is snug, just so you know when purchasing...
Pendelton also made them in different colors. The grey one with blue designs is my favorite.
If I was going to get one I'd want it to be an original made by Pendleton. Unfortunately, their popularity (because of the movie) has made them difficult to find, and definitely out of my price range when I do find them regardless of their condition. I've seen a couple of "clones" made by companies other than Pendleton, but they've been almost as expensive as the originals and don't appear to be made as well. A couple of years ago Pendleton themselves created a "tribute" version of their own sweater, but the pattern is quite a bit different from the original, which left us die-hards wondering, "How difficult could it have been to faithfully duplicate a sweater from their own back catalog?"

If you're saying Pendleton are the originators, you are wrong. The history of the technique/design goes well before them!
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I was referring specifically to the sweater and pattern in the photo I inserted in post #16.

For those who may not know, this particular sweater gained a resurgence in popularity after it was worn by Jeff Bridges in a 1998 movie called The Big Lebowski in which Bridges plays a "slacker" character named Jeffrey Lebowski (but prefers to be called "Dude") who becomes involved in a kidnapping mystery after having been mistaken for a millionaire who is also named Jeffrey Lebowski. The sweater purportedly came from Bridges' personal wardrobe, and it immediately became a hit among fans of the movie.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Cowichan sweaters are pretty common here on the island. I've found several at the thrift stores for my wife and myself, all for under ten bucks apiece. To me, the ones made by Pendleton and other commercial companies aren't "real" Cowichans. Real Cowichans are knitted by moms, grannies, and local natives.

Here are photos of my current favorites:

This one is probably a native knit.
Cowichan1cr.jpg

The classic pictorial style.
Cowichan2cr.jpg

Cowichan3cr.jpg

This one is very unusual - body and sleeves are lined with flannel and the back has a heavy felt panel sewn on. Does anyone know the purpose of the panel?

Cowichan4.JPG

Cowichan5.JPG

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I was hoping that someone here could vouch for the quality of the Camp Kitschy brand, before I abide.

Or, maybe, the 80sTees reproduction that I also found (which, actually looks like a more accurate reproduction of the movie sweater), but costs a little extra.

I really want one, but at those prices I would need someones opinion. I read the "reviews" but I don't trust them these days. They are easily rigged.

(And, my wife is actually on a bowling team. If I wore it to her league night, I'm sure someone would "get it", but probably not many.)

I was hoping that someone here could vouch for the quality of the Camp Kitschy brand, before I abide.

Or, maybe, the 80sTees reproduction that I also found (which, actually looks like a more accurate reproduction of the movie sweater), but costs a little extra.

I really want one, but at those prices I would need someones opinion. I read the "reviews" but I don't trust them these days. They are easily rigged...
I can't comment on the quality, but I can say definitively that the 80s Tees sweater is far more accurate. Aside from being a sweater, the Camp Kitschy version is wrong in just about every way--the colors are wrong, the central pattern (the one that goes across the chest and upper arms) is wrong, the collar is wrong, and the buttons are definitely wrong (the original had a zipper). If I had the spare cash and these were my only choices I'd spring for the 80s Tees sweater, but you'd have to decide for yourself whether the accuracy is worth the extra $60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran