Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DANDRUFF Thread

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
Love this stuff!

Not sure if I can post a link here but I just started using Basin products from Disney World. They recently started up an online store.

http://www.basin.com/web-cart/customer/home.php?cat=259

They have shampoo bars that work amazingly! The best part is they are small but last the same amount of time as a bottle of shampoo. (the soaps and bath bombs are swell too!)

For about $24 you can get 4 bars so I mixed them up and alternate with every shampoo...it has really kept the flakes at bay!

Smells really good too!

*WARNING* You will become addicted! I dropped $75.00 on fresh cut soaps, bath bombs, and shampoo bars in one visit. Have since aqquired another $40 worth of fresh cust soaps!!! (and Im the type that changes deoderant from sale to sale! lol)

And I have super thick and long hair too, these bars last forever and lather like a dream!

Antje

One Too Many
Hey

I have a great tip for when your dandruff is really bad.
first of al you're actualy never get rid of it.

But when it is really bad you can try pure anti dandruff shampoo mixed with an aspirine (you crush that till you have powder)
and apply that on your scalp with a brush.
Put a towel around and let it stay for about 10 minutes and then gently wash it out.
Instead of a towel you could use some foil (don't know the right word for it:eusa_doh: )

We use this tecnice in our salon somethimes and it really works
Our main brand is Indola and I really don't know if you can buy it everywhere.

But I think you could use this tecnique also with other anti dandruff shampoo's

succes

antje

Antje

One Too Many
PolkaDotMeggie said:
No I haven't because I don't have it all the time. It comes out of no where (seems stress induced) and then I have it for about a week, then suddenly I get relief. It seems to always be around my hairline on my forehead.

Maybe the skin of your scalp is working too fast and somethimes has something to do with stress and or maybe a flue or something.

antje

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeasty?

Dandruff is actually a scalp fungal infection! Ew! I used to have a condition called Candida Overgrowth Syndrome, basically a yeast infection throughout my whole body, which included all other kids of fungal infections, everywhere... and dandruff!
So - have you been taking antibiotics lately? Any yeast infections? The fact that it is stress-related sends up red flags to me... sugar is to be avoided, also fermented things and especially beer... just a thought...

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
Dandruff is actually a scalp fungal infection! Ew! I used to have a condition called Candida Overgrowth Syndrome, basically a yeast infection throughout my whole body, which included all other kids of fungal infections, everywhere... and dandruff!
So - have you been taking antibiotics lately? Any yeast infections? The fact that it is stress-related sends up red flags to me... sugar is to be avoided, also fermented things and especially beer... just a thought...

:eek: I didn't realize how gross it was until you said that. Bleh :p I have been as healthy as a horse and I don't drink. Maybe it's just time to look into it. Would just hate to pay a co-pay for the Dr. just to have him tell me nothing useful :)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I used to have little flakes here and there, so I asked a friend and she recommended a clarifying shampoo once or twice a week. She suggested Pureology's clarifying shampoo. I've been using it for two weeks now and notice I don't scratch at my head and there's less flakes. gross. I hope that might be able to help. I also read on a previous reply about recommending a cholesterol treatment for the scalp, which is another good idea.

What has worked for everyone else?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have psoriasis I think. I can't get to a Dermatologist till January. I use a tar shampoo but it doen't really work in the winter because the air is so dry. I have to wash my hair every 2-3 days which sucks because it takes 24 hrs to air dry and 1-2 hours to striaghten and then curl.

Jojo

New in Town
I had dandruff for years and tried almost every anti dandruff shampoo I could get.
But actually none of them worked. After years of searching I finally found a great shampoo : Elvive Anti-Dandruff intensive for normal hair.
And this one really works for me. No more Dandruff on my head. :)

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Holy cow! I finally broke down and used Neutregena T-Gel and I have been dandruff/psoriasis free for 3 weeks! No longer will I hide behind pony tails and headbands. I can't stand the smell of it, so I use it once a weekend( but definately a lather/rinse/repeat) . I am so HAPPY I COULD JUST ABOUT RUN AROUND TOWN LIKE A CRAZY PERSON! :p Who would have thought that running fingers through your own hair could be a non-anxiety producing experience? I am not shamed of it any longer.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Holy cow! I finally broke down and used Neutregena T-Gel and I have been dandruff/psoriasis free for 3 weeks! I actually don't hide behind pony tails and headbands. I can't stand the smell of it, so I use it once a weekend. I am so HAPPY I COULD JUST ABOUT RUN AROUND TOWN LIKE A CRAZY PERSON! Who would have thought that running fingers through your own hair could be a non-anxiety producing experience??

Congratulations!

I still have an ex that associates that smell with my hair. Very funny.

Sadly we are having super dry weather right now...so i am a mess...but in general the t-gel fixes things for 3/4 of the year or more...so still better then nothing.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
It is amazing what a confidence boost it can be to be clear (atleast temporarily) of such a nasty problem. It's gotten to the point where I can even going 3-4 days without having to actually shampoo---although I do rinse and condition about every 3 days because my hair gets too straight.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I bought Jajoba Shampoo and Conditioner from Mothers market and it is for scalp balancing... WOW it really works.. the maker is Jason and i also use the satin face wash on occasion.

I really really love this shampoo.. and especially for us ladies whom style our hair and use all kind of products in our hair... its quite the healing stuff!

I have a sensitive/ oily/itchy scalp.. and say bye bye to it all!

I give it five claps!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
Apple Cider Vinegar works well sometimes. Fill a spray bottle with some vinegar and wet your scalp down. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash your hair.

I researched this a bit more, and found its a process. You need to do this everyday for a week to ten days to start so you can, as they say 'regulate your PH', then once every 3-4 days for maintenance.

I warmed a cup of ACV in my microwave, and poured it on my scalp, rubbed it in, let it set, washed and conditioned as usual for a week. Im telling you, my scalp feels completely different. Healed. I have no dandruff at all. Its an ongoing thing, so you will need a consistent routine, but it works.

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The one shampoo I found that completely gets rid of dandruff is Kerastase Specifique Bain Gommage Gentle Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. It's pricey enough but you only need a small amount and the bottle will last you months - I was rid of my dandruff after around two weeks - and it's great if you colour your hair as it doesn't strip the colour.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok...I have always been the poster girl for T-gel...I mean going on 20 years or so of using it...

and then they went and changed it somehow...it says 'new fresh fragrance'...well guess what, whatever they did I am now -very- allergic to it. Nothing like having your scalp shampoo make your scalp worse.

So I started trying random options, and I have finally gotten one that works, so I shall share.

At my local Whole Paycheck store there was a new brand called AntiBody, and I saw they had a 'scalp' shampoo called TEA TREE & WILLOW BARK SHAMPOO. I was slightly dubious, having tried tea tree before, and also Salicylic acid based products to no avail.

I have now tested it twice...it definitely fixed the problem...I was full of glee. And then when I ran out I decided to use up other shampoo I had around, and my issue was back.

I went and got a new bottle and voila! Right after the first shampoo, the itching stopped and within two shampoos (I shampoo every other day or so) the vast majority of the flaking is gone.

It's actually a local company that uses both fair trade and organic ingredients. And the company does all sorts of good in the world.

A bottle of my new wonder potion is 8.99 which is not cheap, but its no more pricey then the t-gel was.

http://www.anti-body.com/

TEA TREE & WILLOW BARK SHAMPOO

INGREDIENTS: Aqueous infusion of Fair Trade Certified™ Organic Camelia Sinensis (Green Tea)*, Organic Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass)*, Organic Osthmanus Flower* and Organic Backhousia Citriodora (Lemon Myrtle)*, Sodium Cocosulfate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Vegetable Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Salix Nigra (Organic Black Willowbark) Extract*, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Kernel Oil, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Shea Butteramidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol (Paraben-Free Anti-Bacterial), Sodium Chloride. *Certified Organic by QAI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24