Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DANDRUFF Thread

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi there,
I have had a battle with dandruff for years now...i refuse to try head n shoulders or the like as it is filled with chemicals which suppress rather than get rid of the problem. i have tried rosemary oil no good....I change shampoos frequently and really scrub my hair in the shower to loosen it ,this does help... but my hair is dry and my scalp is very dry not greasy any suggestions miracle cures??

P.S The skin elsewhere on me is a tiny bit dry but nothing like on my head.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
dan-druff-be gone!

Try Lush, they do a solid shampoo bar called 'soak or float' and it will leave your hair flake free!
It also contains no nasties and hasn't been tested on the Easter Bunny!
About £2.50 ($5)
toodle pip
K

olive bleu

One Too Many
I honestly don't know if there is a permanent fix for dandruff short of seeing a dermatologist.I have tried "KIss My Face" MissTreated Organic Shampoo.Not all products that claim to have "natural"ingredients are all natural, some can have pretty harsh chemicals.I love this one, though. It did wonders for my dandruff.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is no permanent fix to it. Its a genetic condition, from what I have read. The body has a problem braking up the skin on your head as it does on other parts of your body into small micro pieces. Instead they flake off in large and ugly pieces. Hey, I have it too :eek:

Ive found keeping the scalp clean often, and oiled (at least for me) works pretty well.

LD

crwritt

One Too Many
Cheesecakecutie said:
Hi there,
I have had a battle with dandruff for years now...i refuse to try head n shoulders or the like as it is filled with chemicals which suppress rather than get rid of the problem. i have tried rosemary oil no good....I change shampoos frequently and really scrub my hair in the shower to loosen it ,this does help... but my hair is dry and my scalp is very dry not greasy any suggestions miracle cures??

P.S The skin elsewhere on me is a tiny bit dry but nothing like on my head.

Try deep treating your scalp with Queen Helene Cholesterol, then shampooing with Neutrogena's TGel shampoo. (It has Coal Tar, an age old treatment for dandruff.) Better yet, Neutrogena TSal has salicilic acid along with the Coal tar. It helped me clear a very bad case of dandruff.

You may be shampooing too often. Try skipping a day or two between shampoos.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
crwritt said:
Try deep treating your scalp with Queen Helene Cholesterol, then shampooing with Neutrogena's TGel shampoo. (It has Coal Tar, an age old treatment for dandruff.) Better yet, Neutrogena TSal has salicilic acid along with the Coal tar. It helped me clear a very bad case of dandruff.

I have a scalp that peels off in large chunks every time i shampoo it......

I second the T-gel recommendation....as its literally the only shampoo I can use for more then a day...without things being made worse..

Not the best thing for hair...but I just use nicer conditioner after.

Rosie

One Too Many
I used t gel in the past with so so results.

Now, coconut oil and shea butter keep the flakes away.

Also, I've said this many times but, your shampoo may be too drying for your scalp. Try washing your hair with conditioner.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Also, I've said this many times but, your shampoo may be too drying for your scalp. Try washing your hair with conditioner.

See, a friend recommended the conditioner only thing, and I tried it for a while and after a while it made my scalp all gunky :mad: So back to T Gel I went. Im doing that now.

I feel you tho, the flake thing is so frustrating. :rage:

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My oldest has had a prob with dandruff for a long time. We tried head and shoulders and it did her no good, no good at all!
So what we use on her now is called Therapeutic T+Plus Gel Shampoo, it's a coal tar shampoo. Works great. A generic version of neutrogena Therapeutic T/Gel Shamoo. I had decided to try that before going in for the big buck stuff, but since this works so well we've stuck with it. Some times she conditions with something else, sometimes not, it depends on her mood. If she conditions at night she wakes up with a crazy fluuuuuuuufy fro. (darn her for having curly hair that so many people pay big bucks for, and she hates it)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Be sure to really massage the scalp when shampooing, and also when you apply conditioner.

Sometimes it's real dandruff.. but sometimes it's just dry scalp. We can't slap conditioner on our heads like we can our hands, drat!

I hope you find something that works for you! I know that Redken just came out with a new line for dandruff, but don't know anything about it.
http://www.redken.com/products/displayBrand.cfm?b=279
The link may not work for you as it's a professional site, but it's called Dandruff Control if ya wanna check into it. There's a shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment.

Nikki

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have a very dry, flaky scalp and dry hair too, it's all very sensitive and troublesome!

Years of experience have led me avoid all regular shampoos with Sodium Laurel Sulphate in them as this aggravates the condition (which is in 99% of shop bought shampoos unfortunately) If I remember rightly I think that there are a number of other FL ladies that avoid this dreaded ingredient too (that was another thread) There has been some research to suggest that a lot of the Anti-Dandruff shampoos actually perpetrate scalp and hair problems as they are loaded with harsh irritating detergents.

Instead I use Quinessence Tea Tree and Peppermint shampoo which works wonders at calming down a flaky scalp. http://www.quinessence.com/ranges/hair_shampoos-163-1.htm the delivery on this is free within the UK.
Another gorgeous smelling range is Duchy's originals http://www.duchyoriginals.com/public/products/default.aspx?categoryid=197 you can buy this at Waitrose. Both of these ranges are Sodium Laurel Sulphate free.

However the absolute best thing that I have EVER used is simply pure cold pressed Jojoba oil (you can get this from the same place as the shampoo on line). It is expensive for a bottle of 100ml but you only need to use about 5ml each time.

This I massage into my scalp and hair once a week and leave it on overnight then shampoo it out in the morning. I has made such a dramatic difference to my dandruff and the condition of my hair that I am just narked that it has taken me 35 years to find it!!:eusa_doh:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Try Lush, they do a solid shampoo bar called 'soak or float' and it will leave your hair flake free!
It also contains no nasties and hasn't been tested on the Easter Bunny!
About £2.50 ($5)
toodle pip
K

I thought that about the Lush Shampoo bars, until I read the ingredients. The first one is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, the nasty industrial detergent you find in all commercial shampoo. I was quite disgusted as Lush proclaims its policy loudly about only using nice, gentle stuff, but stuff its shampoo with this dirt cheap and quite damaging ingredient. At least in normal shampoo it's diluted with water.

The thing to try is either the washing your hair with conditioner trick that I have head is really good, or using a really mild and industrial detergent free brand like Jason - and wow, I just found tons of new ones I haven't seen before. This one says it's good for flaky scalps! http://www.thinknatural.com/products/801363/Jason-Natural-Jojoba-Scalp-Balancing-Shampoo-473ml.htm

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
I have a very dry, flaky scalp and dry hair too, it's all very sensitive and troublesome!

Years of experience have led me avoid all regular shampoos with Sodium Laurel Sulphate in them as this aggravates the condition (which is in 99% of shop bought shampoos unfortunately) If I remember rightly I think that there are a number of other FL ladies that avoid this dreaded ingredient too (that was another thread) There has been some research to suggest that a lot of the Anti-Dandruff shampoos actually perpetrate scalp and hair problems as they are loaded with harsh irritating detergents.

However the absolute best thing that I have EVER used is simply pure cold pressed Jojoba oil (you can get this from the same place as the shampoo on line). It is expensive for a bottle of 100ml but you only need to use about 5ml each time.

I remember this conversation from a while back! I am actually going to try your jojoba trick now, especially since I've seen the Jason jojoba shampoo I posted above being allegedly good for the scalp! I have a rather dry itchy scalp myself which I'm trying to alleviate by washing it less frequently, but this sounds like a really nice trick for the hair anyway.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I remember this conversation from a while back! I am actually going to try your jojoba trick now, especially since I've seen the Jason jojoba shampoo I posted above being allegedly good for the scalp! I have a rather dry itchy scalp myself which I'm trying to alleviate by washing it less frequently, but this sounds like a really nice trick for the hair anyway.

I did my hair Wednesday night with the Jojoba oil and blended a few drops of Juniper and Tea Tree with it too. My hair still smells lovely.
That Jason shampoo looks worth a go too. Thanks for posting the link Fleur.

Oh and here is some more info about the wonderous oil if anyone is interested (ps you must make sure you buy cold pressed!!) http://www.soaperschoice.com/soapoils/jojoba.html (I don't buy mine from this site I get mine from the Quinessence site in the post I made earlier)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sounds like you might have seborrheic dermatitis rather than actual dandruff. That is a reaction to products used on the scalp, but tends to be dry rather than greasy and may have red patches under all the scaling. I had it so bad a few years ago it was even in my eyebrows.

Diet can help. I find any citrus fruit makes it alot worse and also eating less meat helps too. Apparently they can aggravate any kind of skin condition so it's worth cutting it down to see.

I am going to have to try SOMETHING different as even baby shampoo my scalp doesn't like much. In the UK there is Oilatum which works but makes my fine hair greasy after a while.

Can't win - leave it, it gets itchy, I scratch and bleed or wash it and it gets flakier! :p

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Watch out for the baby shampoo girls! It is ph balanced to be the same as tears, that's why it doesn't irritate the eyes. However, it can be extremely drying to the hair~
and I guess the scalp too!
Nikki

Elaina

One Too Many
I usually add aspirin to just a cheap-o Sauve conditioner to use every other day. Then, either weekly or monthly, I dillute 10 or so aspirin in a glass of water to make a paste and apply, let it sit until I can't stand it (10-15 min). Usually keeps the flakes at bay enough I can cope with it. Once a week I wash my hair with whatever my husband has bought, apply a creme conditioner on top of that and go on. Once a week in the middle of this, I do cholestoral treatments, and to be honest (no offense meant to anyone) I use a product geared toward African-Americans (leave in conditioner) since it has more oils in it then other products I've tried.

It leaves my hair feeling greasy (to me) but apparently my idea of what feels greasy is off, everyone else tells me how soft my hair is. And I dye it more then I don't, and it stops breakage, fading of color, and I have really fine, thick hair that tends to poof if I'm not really careful, or I look at the mirror the wrong way.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Apple Cider Vinegar works well sometimes. Fill a spray bottle with some vinegar and wet your scalp down. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash your hair.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face

Instead I use Quinessence Tea Tree and Peppermint shampoo which works wonders at calming down a flaky scalp. http://www.quinessence.com/ranges/ha...poos-163-1.htm the delivery on this is free within the UK.
Another gorgeous smelling range is Duchy's originals http://www.duchyoriginals.com/public...categoryid=197 you can buy this at Waitrose. Both of these ranges are Sodium Laurel Sulphate free.

This I massage into my scalp and hair once a week and leave it on overnight then shampoo it out in the morning. I has made such a dramatic difference to my dandruff and the condition of my hair that I am just narked that it has taken me 35 years to find it!!

I too avoid sodium laurel sulphate it is a carcinogen...and its even in tooth paste.......yuck

Thanku all for your speedy and sound advice i'm sure i'll find something that works for me in that lot....
I have decided to start with the jojoba oil and have just ordered some from the above website thanks eve and to all you ladies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24