Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Knight (2008)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another rumour I keep hearing (but I'm not buying), is that the informant who wants to blow the lid off of the Wayne/ Batman connection, will become the Riddler. Mr. Reese...Mysteries. I just really doubt they would cast a no name in that role if that was the bigger plan. Of course, they can recast it.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I had no idea who Cillian Murphy was before Batman Begins, so it's possible they are going with lesser known actors. It's better than the "stars" they picked in the last incarnations.

I just hope they don't bring in Robin for this series.

Edward

Bartender
Cue the inevitable Mail editorial that The Dark Knight causes criminal behaviour and should be banned. :rolleyes: lol

Laura Chase said:
Edward, sure, one thing doesn't exclude the other, different writers have twisted and turned Batman in different ways.

That's certainly true.... I tend to feel that the darker take on the Batman is the "right" one, but certainly the comic book has veered between light and darker tones over the years. and yeah, it could very well be that they intended both ideas. :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Edward said:
That's certainly true.... I tend to feel that the darker take on the Batman is the "right" one, but certainly the comic book has veered between light and darker tones over the years. and yeah, it could very well be that they intended both ideas. :)

:) I think I agree with you, anyway, I like dark, old (like, not early, but grey-haired lol) Batman the most myself as well.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:
I loved the movie and thought it was operatic in scope. Ledger was amazing as The Joker. It was great they never gave him a backstory. He just shows up all evil and ready to kill The Batman. I don't buy the complaints about Maggie G. She is a fine actress and is one of the few who could hold her own with such intense actors as Bale, Legder, Oldman, Caine, and Eckhart. My only complaint was Bale's voice as The Batman. I could barely understand him at times. Other than that, I can't wait to see it in IMAX. They need to make a #3 though so we can see the rebuilt Wayne Manor and the new Batcave.

I drove all the way from Cleveland to Tarentum, PA (just north of Pittsburgh) to see it in IMAX Sunday of opening weekend, it was so worth it to see it in that format.

Someone commented earlier than Nolan knows how to shoot for IMAX screens. This is because he *actually shot* portions of the film on IMAX instead of 35mm negative. That's a negative TEN TIMES larger than 35mmm anamorphic, and it looks it on the IMAX screen. The mask would actually get bigger for the aerial shots and action scenes filmed in IMAX, and surprisingly it wasn't bothersome at all.

The aerial shots were so crisp that were filmed in IMAX you could see people walking around on the ground in sharp detail. One problem they seemed to have with IMAX though is that the focus puller (the guy that actually keeps the main actor or main subject in focus) did NOT seem to be having an easy time with keeping the IMAX camera in focus. Bigger negatives are much harder to focus for. Also, the depth of field got very very very shallow in some of the IMAX shots, although this was only a little bothersome. But you could really see a dramatic distance in focus when they cut between 35mm-originated material and IMAX material.

But still, the shots with Two-Face shot in IMAX were so realistic it was kind of haunting how gruesome it was. This has to be one of the first movies ever where the CG hasn't stuck out like a sore thumb. The only CG I noticed at all was the flames they digitally inserted when the Joker blows upa hospital. I commented what a convincing model they used for the building they blew up. . .

Then I found out they *really blew up a full-sized building*. Amazing movie. Amazing action scenes. See it in IMAX; it's manditory to get the full experience!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I finally got around to seeing this, and would add mine to the chorus of those who (a) found Ledger absolutely spellbinding, and (b) was driven to distraction by that I'M SO SCAAAAARY Batman voice. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what more they do with Two Face -- but I *hope* they avoid the campy/cartoony villians in future installments. And I'd like to see more of Batman as a *detective* -- he always had his gizmos in the comics, but there was also a serious, intellectual sleuth aspect to his personality that seems to be missing now.

Oh, and Alfred NEVER had a Cockney accent.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Rachael said:
I would love to see it in IMAX, but the last film I saw in that format, I had to watch with my eyes closed for fear of nausea.:eek:

Well, most of the film is 35mm-originated, and it is not shot in 3D, so I don't think this film will have this effect on you. *MAYBE* the IMAX-originated sequences (the likeness of 10% of the film) will have this effect on you.

If I were you, I'd have another go at it. Trust me, they aren't shelling out $20-40 thousand US to make people sick.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I think Batman's voice should be dubbed by Will Arnett.

It was his voice, just digitally F-ed with. I personally didn't mind it that much, but yeah, I think he could have done a convincingly Batman-like voice without the assistance of a computer.

Rachael

A-List Customer
3PcSuit said:
It was his voice, just digitally F-ed with. I personally didn't mind it that much, but yeah, I think he could have done a convincingly Batman-like voice without the assistance of a computer.

It kept reminding me of the sequences in the Mission Impossible films where Tom Cruise kept pulling those anti-smoking patches off his neck to explain how he can perfectly mimic Dougray Scott

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Batman's voice wasn't scary. If anything it was irritating bcuz I couldn't help but think of Vincent, the bear from "Over the Hedge" (done by Nick Nolte) every time he spoke...:eusa_doh:

flat-top said:
Another rumour I keep hearing (but I'm not buying), is that the informant who wants to blow the lid off of the Wayne/ Batman connection, will become the Riddler. Mr. Reese...Mysteries. I just really doubt they would cast a no name in that role if that was the bigger plan. Of course, they can recast it.

I don't think Reese would become the Riddler. If I'm not mistaken, the Riddler's not-so-secret identity is Edward Nygma (E. Nygma). However, a synonym for the actual word enigma is mystery....so who knows. Mr. Reese does hold an important role in the movie. After all, he knows a little secret about Bruce Wayne and wanted to blackmail him...uhh can you say "smoking gun"??

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I just got back from seeing this. Yes I know I am late in the game.

I didn't like it. I wanted to like it really bad though. I havent read any of the other posts in this thread as I didn't want spoilers, so dont hate me if I repeat other peoples opinions or I upset lovers of this film.

Too long, the lenght could have been justified if the story had been better.

I got really annoyed over Batmans voice.

As much as I loved that Maggie Gyllenhall was in this, I missed more love/romance/fire between her and Bruce Wayne.

I loved The Joker, although there were a few moments where he 'acted', but he was the star in this movie. I wished the movie focused more om him & Batman and had more scenes with those two - sane vs. insane.

Also I loved Gary Oldman, he had subtle finesse in his role.

The movie was too much of a 'this is who will be in the next movie' feel instead of just concentrating on the story at hand.

Not bad, but not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy