Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The definitive 40's fedora? Which is it?

Qvist

Familiar Face
Probably a silly question, but what would be typical dimensions of 40´s fedora? How high crown and how wide brim (inches)?

A few from 1940s... which is the definitive one?

wanderer4.jpg

bantam_051011_5.jpg

sombrero2.jpg

vitaburg1.jpg

vitafelt1.jpg

stetsleg2.jpg

5x2.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
'40's fedora

These get my vote...
wanderer4.jpg

vitafelt1.jpg

5x2.jpg

But, I guess it was the wider brimmed fedoras of the 1940's noir films that stuck out to me the most...

Glenn Ford 1947
Glenn Ford.jpg

Alan Ladd 1942
alan ladd.jpg

Robert Mitchum 1947
robert mitchum.jpg
Robert_mitchum.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
A word of caution about the Glenn Ford pics posted - notice he has the hat really high on his head. In fact, above his forehead altogether. A shorter crown is no problem when you are not really wearing the hat. Actors with hollywood faces - they wanted the hat pushed up to show off the face. That is a problem when trying to judge hat-wearing from movies - look at the extras instead of the star. The extras are more likely to be wearing a hat 'normal' instead of showing off their hollywood face. Same with the Alan Ladd and the Robert Mitchum pics - worn higher on the forehead than I ever wear a hat. I have trouble with shorter crowns, especially if the back is raked down sharp; my noggin is touching the liner in the crown, think HOT (as in sweat, not as in really desirable). If you go with a shorter crown you may have to adjust the rake front-to-back to avoid 'topping out.'

Michaelshane

One Too Many
A word of caution about the Glenn Ford pics posted - notice he has the hat really high on his head. In fact, above his forehead altogether. A shorter crown is no problem when you are not really wearing the hat. Actors with hollywood faces - they wanted the hat pushed up to show off the face. That is a problem when trying to judge hat-wearing from movies - look at the extras instead of the star. The extras are more likely to be wearing a hat 'normal' instead of showing off their hollywood face. Same with the Alan Ladd and the Robert Mitchum pics - worn higher
on the forehead than I ever wear a hat. I have trouble with shorter crowns, especially if the back is raked down sharp; my noggin is touching the liner in the crown, think HOT (as in sweat, not as in really desirable). If you go with a shorter crown you may have to adjust the rake front-to-back to avoid 'topping out.'

That is exactly how I wear my hats.More on the back of my head.Most comfortable to me.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
40's fedora

A word of caution about the Glenn Ford pics posted - notice he has the hat really high on his head. In fact, above his forehead altogether. A shorter crown is no problem when you are not really wearing the hat. Actors with hollywood faces - they wanted the hat pushed up to show off the face. That is a problem when trying to judge hat-wearing from movies - look at the extras instead of the star. The extras are more likely to be wearing a hat 'normal' instead of showing off their hollywood face. Same with the Alan Ladd and the Robert Mitchum pics - worn higher on the forehead than I ever wear a hat. I have trouble with shorter crowns, especially if the back is raked down sharp; my noggin is touching the liner in the crown, think HOT (as in sweat, not as in really desirable). If you go with a shorter crown you may have to adjust the rake front-to-back to avoid 'topping out.'
...and all that's probably true. I won't argue your point there. But it's also true that it's the Hollywood Stars, as well as the music pop culture now, who influenced fashion and trends, (and it was the Stars that movie goers were paying attention to rather than to the extras). Harrison Ford for example had a tremendous influence on reviving interest in the fedora...Sometimes I wonder if these Stars used to wear smaller sized hats in order to get the right position and the right tilt on the head...I tried wearing mine with a tilt on the head the way they did but my ears always get in the way. Although it does work well with my smaller size 7 Open Road.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, easier to tilt a smaller hat than to monkey with one that wants to come down on your ears. For a movie scene or a still shot they could have temporarily stuffed the sweatband with paper to help it ride high.

Qvist

Familiar Face

I see what you mean:

outofthepast017_jpg.jpg

:)

Edit: picture dosn´t seem to show...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80