Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Josh, that vented derby is awesome! I like your illuminated vents photo too. Don't you have a Mallory from a similar era? Do you like the Dobbs more?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, that vented derby is awesome! I like your illuminated vents photo too. Don't you have a Mallory from a similar era? Do you like the Dobbs more?

Thanks, bowlerman! I have a couple of Mallory fedoras from the early 30's, but unfortunately no derbys yet. I really want one though. Mallory had some beautiful liners, sweatbands, and size tags from this era. I've actually never had an early Dobbs derby before, but I can tell you that it is such a finely made hat. Even the slight slant on the ribbon is a great touch. I would most definitely recommend one.

Tatude

New in Town
Wanted to know if anyone had any info on this hat I just got. Tag says Niles color Dawn. Great hat just would like to know a bit more.
6db6e6de.jpg
807e0baa.jpg

Tatude

New in Town
Didn't mean for that to get in background took quick photo. It is Bettie Page tho. She could have pulled it off.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wanted to know if anyone had any info on this hat I just got. Tag says Niles color Dawn. Great hat just would like to know a bit more.
6db6e6de.jpg
807e0baa.jpg

Don't know too much to tell you. It's a modern hat, '70s, '80s, maybe even '90s.
Enjoy it!

Brad

wandering-trader

New in Town
My first hat here: http://picasaweb.google.com/frivsport9/Hats
Paid $35 including shipping.

Couldn't get a good liner tag pic, but the tag states:
"REG A 70865 428 7 1/8"
"oval to duplicate block size"

liner is sewn in with white thread, sweatband is leather.
2" overwelt brim, velour finish fur felt.

What approximate year was this hat made?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
My oldest fedora to date. Lightweight, mocha heather finish felt easily dry creased. Purchased from the original owner's grandson via the 'Bay. Already one of my favorites.

Crown: 6" open. 5-1/4" as I have it currently creased.
Ribbon: 1-3/4".
Brim: 2-1/4", with raw edge.
Sweatband: 2-1/8".

That hat is just perfect! an absolute dream! I find it very difficult to find Dobbs, in fact any vintage US Fedoras, in Europe. Even most ebay auctions won't ship outside the US and Canada.... :(

I WANT IT!!!!! LOL

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
That hat is just perfect! an absolute dream! I find it very difficult to find Dobbs, in fact any vintage US Fedoras, in Europe. Even most ebay auctions won't ship outside the US and Canada.... :(

I WANT IT!!!!! LOL

Thank you for the kind words, David!

I completely understand your frustration in sourcing vintage American fedoras, as we have the same difficulty buying vintage hats from the Continent and Great Britain. If you ever find hats stateside that you wish to purchase, feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to help in the transaction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters