Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I finally broke down and made this dress. I made it in a white and green shamrock print with green binding. I didn't make any alterations but when I make it again I will make the bottom front a lot larger so it meets in the back. That way I can put snaps on it so it doesn't bunch up in the front. I think I can fix the one I made so it doesn't bunch up either. If you make the dress as is it's a snap and attaching the seam binding was easy also. I was worried the binding would be too hard for me. I guess I sew a little better than I thought. I'll post a picture soon.

pixie

Familiar Face
cailinbeag said:
I'm sorry you've been struggling with the pattern. I've had projects like that, and they're a real pain. I don't know that it'll help you right now but for the future, I'd like to suggest you ignore the sizing and use patterns based on your personal measurements. Pattern sizes and retail sizes DO NOT coincide.

I hope you have a great time at VLV! I'd love to go one year. :)

Thanks for the advice, I have never really sewn from a pattern before, just free sewing for a medieval society that I was involved in, lots of trail and error but very basic shapes. I didn't really know about the sizing thing, regarding "finished " garment sizes until after i already had the pattern. Not to mention that they say a size 22 has a 32? inch waist!! Really, in what imaginary world??[huh] I am so excited about VLV I was supposed to go last year, but was in a car accident right before and had to cancel due to injuries on my and my husbands part. I can't wait to see the remix shoes in person, and see if anyone has plus size dresses for me to spend my hard earned money on :p and purses, and hats, and and and ,,,,,,,sigh......

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pixie said:
Not to mention that they say a size 22 has a 32? inch waist!! Really, in what imaginary world??[huh]

In the pattern world! ;) The sizing is completely different. Like, double, or so! :) Just one of those things you don't know until you start sewing, not that I sew, but this forum taught me!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pixie said:
Not to mention that they say a size 22 has a 32? inch waist!! Really, in what imaginary world??[huh]

Size 22 is common to have that type of waist measurement. Modern sizing for clothing has been warped much faster with vanity sizing than patterns (even modern ones) have.

Check the sizing sticky at the top of the PR forum. Its got loads of great info :)

LD

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Miss Smith, that's soo cute! I can see that with rick rack on it! You must post it!

Thanks! I just wish I could figure out how to properly do the bias tape...
Here's the dress so far though:
3402354231_0c20d5b043.jpg

I just love how cheesy the colors/print are :D

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
miss_smith said:

Oh I love that! How cute! I love the yellow, it pops! That's inspiring enough to make me sew something like it. THat's saying a lot, I don't sew much these days. I've been wanting to sew a pencil-style vinyl skirt (not exactly vintage, but it has that feel), I just haven't gotten around to it. I've got all the stuff, just too tired to do it.

crwritt

One Too Many
miss_smith said:

You have to dampen the bias tape and sort of mold it around a curve like that, pre pressing and hand basting as you go. Its npt so much stretching it as making the inside edge compress as you make the outside edge expand.
100% cotton bias tape, or tape you cut from your own cotton fabric, will do this better than the poly cotton blend packaged bias tapes you can buy in thr fabric stores.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Rockapin-up said:
Was browsing etsy and found this seller doing what looks like to be a mondern version of the dress, I thought it was cute and thought i'd share.........don't kill me if you don't like it. lol

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22237782

I saw that at one point too...it makes me nervous, because I feel like there could be copyright issues around a dress so similar to a dress so iconic. Although I really like her version of the skirt.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
miss_smith said:
I saw that at one point too...it makes me nervous, because I feel like there could be copyright issues around a dress so similar to a dress so iconic. Although I really like her version of the skirt.

I was thinking along those lines too, although I dont think its just similar, its obviously the same pattern n shes just adjusted it a little. It looks great but Im not a big fan of the fact shes glaringly ripped it off but hasnt aknowledged the fact.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
KittyVonKirsche said:
I was thinking along those lines too, although I dont think its just similar, its obviously the same pattern n shes just adjusted it a little. It looks great but Im not a big fan of the fact shes glaringly ripped it off but hasnt aknowledged the fact.

Yeah...

I've heard a worse one. On Dress A Day, Erin talked about how there was a huge problem where a girl (who obviously either had no idea of the significance of the 4790 or is just very brazen) made it and put it in a fashion show.
Linkage Here: http://www.dressaday.com/2008/04/how-not-to-respond-to-criticism.html

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wahhh!! I just bought some fabric I like for this dress and now I can't find my pattern, it's not with my others. :eusa_doh: Gaaahhhhh!

Miss Smith, your dress is adorable, I love it!!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I just bought another pattern on the bay, it was cheap and it will be hear before I tear my house apart looking for the other one. It's probably sitting here in my office because I would reference back to it often while reading this tread, lol!

Ok girls, I wanted to make the overskirt less full. I know it's doable, but since I don't have the pattern here in front of me could some one please tell me how it's made? Is there panels in the overskirt that I can leave out, or would I have to cut it down own my own?

I found this one and it's exactly how I want it to look,
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?reviewnum=17782

crwritt

One Too Many
ohairas said:
I just bought another pattern on the bay, it was cheap and it will be hear before I tear my house apart looking for the other one. It's probably sitting here in my office because I would reference back to it often while reading this tread, lol!

Ok girls, I wanted to make the overskirt less full. I know it's doable, but since I don't have the pattern here in front of me could some one please tell me how it's made? Is there panels in the overskirt that I can leave out, or would I have to cut it down own my own?

I found this one and it's exactly how I want it to look,
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?reviewnum=17782

I can't see the dress you're referring to, but I have Butterick 4790 right here.The overskirt is cut in two half circles. To make a skirt like this less full, lay the skirt pattern pieces out on the table and fold in pleats on the hem edge, tapering to nothing at the waist. Space the pleats evenly and use a triangle to be sure they are perpendicular to the hem edge. Pin and adjust until you are happy with it.
This will reduce the fullness without disturbing the waist measurement.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
miss_smith said:

Nope, traditionally in fashion you just have to make three style changes and you're fine with copyright issues. Can be as simple as changing zipper placement, raising or lowering hems, etc. That's why we see so many designer knock offs ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much!!
Oh I wish I had the pattern in my hot little hands...

I saw this one, and she said she did nothing to alter the pattern except the button loop.
3293667026_0cecb9c5d3.jpg

and this is the one she removed the fullness from the skirt, love the fit and love it in seersucker!
IMG_1160.jpg

and her blog post about it,
http://lupinbunny.blogspot.com/2006/12/see-sucker.html

These were found here,
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/12206

Ok, so I'm thinking that the dresses where the overskirt is totally engulfing the the fabric underneath may have been made in a larger size to compensate for the tiny waist measurement? So that when the skirt does meet in the front, it's actually too much fabric?

Whereas if the dress were made too small, say.... that the overskirt wouldn't "quite" meet in front, thus showing more of the underskirt?

This is my overskirt fabric. Now, my first insinct is to use a bright bias tape in yellow or poppy red. But I'm thinking that would limit my shoe choice, you think??
I mean, if it had yellow tape I'd feel I could only wear yellow or black shoes, I think if I tried to wear red shoes with it, it would bug me. But yellow sure would be cute! But I may play it safe and use black. (BTW, I want the tape to go all the way around the dress, including hem line)
04fc_1.JPG

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I just went back and reread this entire thread since it had been so long ago...

I'm really missing everyone's pics!! Please re-post if you can!

Kitty, I'd love to see your version; black and red was it?

I've been researching on the web and found all kinds of reviews and other pics. Just do a google image search for butterick 4790 if you are thinking of doing this dress.

This gal on a blog didn't like the pattern at all,
http://blog.mammamadedesigns.com/ar...utterick-4790---a-complete-waste-of-time.aspx

Many complain about the front bunching up as you move in it, and that the weight of the skirt in back pulls it backwards.

Goldwyn Girl, you mentioned that you wore a semi full crinoline underneath and you had no probs.

From looking at pics all day, I'm thinking that the dress needs to be made on the small side for it to really fit properly, esp. under the arms and such.

Found many similar patterns.
Some of these photos may be repeats but I thought it would be nice to have them all here nice and tidy...
3426483857_3451a793bc_m.jpg

3427292236_1bb3b7381e_m.jpg

3427292100_ccd71d1989_m.jpg

3426483267_e6d7f511a8_m.jpg

3427291850_32d21667e9_m.jpg

3427291588_897435acc2_m.jpg

3426483029_afe8465385_m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo