Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

Amy Jeanne said:
4457_82461304163_624014163_1817453_5410717_n.jpg

Yay!!! You used the blue! It looks wonderful!!!!!

I am eying a black and white gingham seersucker with cherries on it for this dress.

cynroux

Familiar Face
Adorable Amy Jeanne, just adorable!

The cherry, gingham seersucker sounds like a great fabric. I'm contemplating other combinations (and maybe a smaller size)

ohairas, you're correct, I'm totally hooked. There's a jolly roger denim sundress on my machine at this moment. Not exactly vintage inspired, but fun all the same. :)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried making this up as a maternity dress? I'm eyeing this and thinking that the wrapped nature of it might make for blessed adjustability.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Helysoune said:
Has anyone tried making this up as a maternity dress? I'm eyeing this and thinking that the wrapped nature of it might make for blessed adjustability.

hmmm.....I don't think so. You would have to futz with the pattern quite a bit since the waist is *fitted*. Like REALLY fitted. That's what holds the dress in place and keeps it from sliding forwards or back. So if you were looking to adjust it periodically I am not sure how you would construct it to stay put, aside from making a much larger size than you normally wear.

And I would imagine the growing belly would pop out from under the overskirt, which might look a little funny.....or kinda cute depending on your tastes. :)

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
My walkaway creation, with ruffle sleeves, vintage lace trim and bow instead of buttons...doesn't look much like the original, but you get the gist!

Autum%2009%20049a.jpg

Autum%2009%20090.jpg

Autum%2009%20073.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
I love it! It is better in many ways than the original! Beautiful home too.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much ladies! I'm really happy with it. It was one of those annoying projects which took a while because I had a picture in my head of how I wanted it exactly right! Now to find an occasion to wear it. I have my eyes on these shoes to wear with it, I had a pair like them but they were to small and I reluctantly parted with them, but these are even nicer!

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
Is this dress easy to make? Ive been dying to make it, but I only have the patern pieces and not the instructions. Do I even need them or is it possible for a novice sewer to make it without them?

Or... If someone have the instructions to PM or mail me? ;)

Lorena B

Practically Family
I posted my pics in the "show me what you made" thread some time ago but as there is all this thread dedicated to the dress, i though it would be nice to post it here too.
014.jpg
016.jpg
015.jpg

and here it is in the wild in the High Rockabilly this summer
DSC01617.jpg

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Bettie Booh said:
Is this dress easy to make? Ive been dying to make it, but I only have the patern pieces and not the instructions. Do I even need them or is it possible for a novice sewer to make it without them?

Or... If someone have the instructions to PM or mail me? ;)

Hi Bettie Booh,

The dress despite saying 'very easy' on the pattern is in fact, more difficult than it appears if you want to get a nice fit. Otherwise its 'one size fits all' style of dress creates a few problems as it needs to fit very close at the waist to keep the two parts in place. There's a huge amount of info on the dress around the web, have a look at some of the feedback and you'll get a good idea about how to go about making adjustments if needed, you might even find the instructions. It uses a lot of fabric so I would be inclined to get the instructions if you haven't done many projects to date, its a deceiving little number!! Burdastyle.com is a great resource for anyone new to sewing and has lots of free patterns. I put up details of the adjustments I made on my blog (see my signature).

Good luck if you go for it!!

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Lorena B said:
I posted my pics in the "show me what you made" thread some time ago but as there is all this thread dedicated to the dress, i though it would be nice to post it here too.
014.jpg
016.jpg
015.jpg

and here it is in the wild in the High Rockabilly this summer
DSC01617.jpg

Love your version Lorena, the skirt detail is fantastic and the lining is such a good idea too!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
It is a pain to fit. And pinning the bias tape takes forever. I've seen many unkind reviews of it because of this. I actually added more darts to make it more form fitting in the bodice. I once ran into someone at an event and we were talking about the walkaway dress. She mentioned that back in its heyday most ladies helped keep the dress in place by putting snaps in the underarm area. I haven't done this with mine yet but I may have to give it a try one spring rolls around.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Wow BettyDarling, I love your version, it looks very....Vogue catalog worthy.
and Lorena, the details on yours are amazing, especially that white spiral-y contrast on the edges.

Hestia

Familiar Face
I know you need to see another one of these...

Butterick 4790 strikes again!

4075550393_3b2567b13b.jpg

I cut down a pattern size because, as usual on these reprints, they have included a ridiculous amount of ease. 3" of ease in the waistband of a fitted dress? What? Cut down, it's a decent fit. I wore it to work and didn't run into any trouble with gapping or shifting or whatnot.

The underskirt does bunch up if you run for the bus, but really, few 50's designs take running for the bus into account, so I'll give it a pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy