Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
DickWhitmanMM said:
In Seattle if you wear anything but a baseball hat, tennis shoes, and worn jeans you get "wow, you look all dressed up. What's the occasion?"

and anytime you wear a vintage topcoat or trenchcoat out in public someone will invariably quip "dude, you look like a flasher.."

Like it doesn't rain here enough to wear a hat and topcoat. :rolleyes: :p ;)
Flashing style.
I am a mortician. We always dress for just such and occasion. ;) :p

Jerekson

One Too Many
DickWhitmanMM said:
In Seattle if you wear anything but a baseball hat, tennis shoes, and worn jeans you get "wow, you look all dressed up. What's the occasion?"

It's a bad way of thinking on my part, but these sort of comments are what get me the angriest.

Treesaaw

New in Town
Every time I wear my vintage 40's cape to work my boss calls me Sherlock *sigh*. My cape isn't even houndstooth nor does it resemble anything like the overcoat of Sherlock Holmes :eusa_doh:

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
ha! Speaking of which, has anyone here attended a symphony or opera at Benaroya Hall? You'd think that would be the one last bastion where "dressing up" would be a prerequisite. Nope. Granted, more than 50% did dress up a little, but you'd be amazed how many people were in attendence wearing baseball hats, flip-flops, tennis shoes, tank tops, hoodies, t-shirts, cargo shorts. I half expected to see an Igloo cooler being hauled in.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
DickWhitmanMM said:
ha! Speaking of which, has anyone here attended a symphony or opera at Benaroya Hall? You'd think that would be the one last bastion where "dressing up" would be a prerequisite. Nope. Granted, more than 50% did dress up a little, but you'd be amazed how many people were in attendence wearing baseball hats, flip-flops, tennis shoes, tank tops, hoodies, t-shirts, cargo shorts. I half expected to see an Igloo cooler being hauled in.

Welcome to the 21st Century... where no one gives a #!$%&@!

Today's sheep feel that dressing up is putting on a clean shirt or pair of jeans... and their newest sandals. :rolleyes: I don't care how the modern minded trend followers dress, but when it comes to a fine dinning eating place or the Opera, you'd think that they'd get the idea a suit or a dress is in order!

I work as the Door Man on Sundays at Cicada in LA. I recall a handful of guests tried to come in with 7-11 food... yeah, into a 4 star restaurant! And they were shocked that they were told to eat it out side! HA!

Good golly Miss Molly people!

One of my favorite comments is: Hey man, it's Elliot Ness! Then I say: How dare you call me an alcoholic who lives with his Mother! lol

Forgotten Man said:

Today's sheep feel that dressing up is putting on a clean shirt or pair of jeans... and their newest sandals. :rolleyes: I don't care how the modern minded trend followers dress, but when it comes to a fine dinning eating place or the Opera, you'd think that they'd get the idea a suit or a dress is in order!

I work as the Door Man on Sundays at Cicada in LA. I recall a handful of guests tried to come in with 7-11 food... yeah, into a 4 star restaurant! And they were shocked that they were told to eat it out side! HA!

Good golly Miss Molly people!

One of my favorite comments is: Hey man, it's Elliot Ness! Then I say: How dare you call me an alcoholic who lives with his Mother! lol

lol lol lol
I can see it now. Eat that crap outside. This is a restaurant not a drive thru. :p

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
There are exceptions in flannel-and-gortexland however, somewhat- I took a date to Canlis* for cocktails and was pleasantly surprised how much the attire matched the decor. 4 drinks between us and $75 later, that is.

*very well-preserved '50s elegence. If you haven't been there- you should go there at least once if in Seattle
http://www.canlis.com

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DickWhitmanMM said:
There are exceptions in flannel-and-gortexland however, somewhat- I took a date to Canlis* for cocktails and was pleasantly surprised how much the attire matched the decor. 4 drinks between us and $75 later, that is.

*very well-preserved '50s elegence. If you haven't been there- you should go there at least once if in Seattle
http://www.canlis.com

Hit Palisade for Sunday brunch if you want to be disheartened with what they allow in as "business casual attire." There's another string here where I went on about that a year or so ago.

Mulceber

Practically Family
While I was waiting in the doctors office today, an older lady complimented me on my AB and mentioned that she often wore hats (female hats obviously) to church - she stopped because some idiot told her she looked like a mafioso. :eusa_doh:

I encouraged her to continue wearing it, in spite of the idiots out there.;) -M

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
I get called Aunt Jemima regularly by coworkers, or Rosie the Riveter, since I almost always have a bandana on at work.

heck I had pink hair (covered with a bandana) and my ASM said to another ASM

"what are you gonna do when your kid grows up to be like that?"

I'm a pretty tough cookie and not easily insulted, but jeez, better that kid grow up to be like me than a jerk like him!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
DickWhitmanMM said:
You wouldn't see that at the Munich Opera House. I was there 4 years ago, saw 2 operas. Everyone was absolutely dressed to the nines. The audience was as much a part of the spectacle as the performance. And, if you go, the food in the cafe at intermission was mind boggling.
I'd say this is still pretty typical of all European Opera Houses.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:

Today's sheep feel that dressing up is putting on a clean shirt or pair of jeans... and their newest sandals. :rolleyes:

Just another example of today's society refusing any level of standards or expectations...and tearing down any who may still. My children were annually indoctrinated by the public school system to have "tolerance" towards any lifestyle, religion or creed except those deemed "intolerant" for having standards. "were" being the primary word as they are now home-schooled...

Hal

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
You wouldn't see that at the Munich Opera House. I was there 4 years ago, saw 2 operas. Everyone was absolutely dressed to the nines...I'd say this is still pretty typical of all European Opera Houses.
I was present at a piano-and-cello recital in Dortmund a month ago. There must have been c.1500 in the audience, and about 90% of the men were in a suit or jacket-and-tie, and the women were also well-dressed. I don't think that would happen in the UK, but the Germans still dress properly for such occasions.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShesSoVaVaVoom said:
I get called Aunt Jemima regularly by coworkers, or Rosie the Riveter, since I almost always have a bandana on at work.

heck I had pink hair (covered with a bandana) and my ASM said to another ASM

"what are you gonna do when your kid grows up to be like that?"

I'm a pretty tough cookie and not easily insulted, but jeez, better that kid grow up to be like me than a jerk like him!
(And who asked them for their opinions, anyway? Buncha jerks.) My question is, what's an ASM?

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
(And who asked them for their opinions, anyway? Buncha jerks.) My question is, what's an ASM?

I've found at my work (since I've always been a bit more eclectic), people love giving me their opinions! lol I chalk it up to them being unhappy with themselves. ASM is assistant manager. sadly it wasn't the first rude remark he's made about my hair, but I do file a complaint each time, I go to work to do my job, not to be harrassed :)

gypsy_caravan

New in Town
jamespowers said:
What was your dumbest comment ever heard?

I've been called "cowboy" more times than I can count. But last week a fellow at the post office said "Nice hat," about the Dobbs Fifteen I was wearing. I told him that I have about 20 more fedoras at home. Then he said I reminded him of Van Morrison. That was a new one, and I thought, not a bad comment. Beats being called Indy.

gypsy_caravan

gypsy_caravan said:
I've been called "cowboy" more times than I can count. But last week a fellow at the post office said "Nice hat," about the Dobbs Fifteen I was wearing. I told him that I have about 20 more fedoras at home. Then he said I reminded him of Van Morrison. That was a new one, and I thought, not a bad comment. Beats being called Indy.

gypsy_caravan

Indy or cowboy. :rolleyes:
Geez, can't they tell its not a cowboy hat?! Tell them to watch some old westerns and get back to you. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn