Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this thread will have the staying power of the "Dumbest comment" one, but since there are often positive comments added to that thread I thought I'd start one for them.

Yesterday I walked into the dentist's office dressed fairly casually--polo shirt, jeans, grey Lee fedora. I went to the counter and signed in, and back into the waiting area to sit down. As I sat down, an older woman told me it was nice to see a man wearing a gentleman's hat and not a cap. Another older woman spoke up to comment "And he took it off as he came in!"

Cheers,
Tom

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I actually get more positive comments than negative. Yesterday I was wearing jeans, a polo shirt, and my new grey Champ. I went into the bank and one of the ladies in line said, 'It is so refreshing to see a man who wears a hat instead of a billboard on his head.' I thanked her. She then said, 'Even wear jeans a hat looks better than a ball cap.' Insightful lady.

fatwoul

Practically Family
So far, I've only had nice comments. I think part of this has to do with the town I live in. It's more tolerant than some.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The other night some ladies on campus hosted an informal get together at their apartment. I wore more old Portis 'open road' style fedora and M41 jacket with jeans and a t-shirt.
A guy with an apartment next to mine comes up to me and says I have some of the coolest hats and have the profile for it. I smiled and said thank you. :)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dick Tracy

"Hay Dick Tracy, I love your hat" May not sound like the nicest complement. But being it came from a very attractive woman and said in a very flirtatious/ seductive way, it rates fairly high on my list.
Johnny

fatwoul

Practically Family
Agreed JT. I hope it lasts as long as the flipside thread has done.

I've been trying to think of specific nice comments, but really so far I've just had remarks about how nice my Fed is. For someone who is new to wearing proper hats, even those comments are a real confidence booster, and are worth a great deal.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Bravo!!!
I mentioned this on the other thread, but was too chicken to start it myself and have no one respond, lol
The "stupid" comments are more entertaining, but I truly get more positive than negative. Nice to share that.

So here's my latest. It was sort of a two-for-one positive comment ... I went out with an old buddy of mine to shoot some pool and have a few drinks about 4 days ago, leaving my better half at home. For a little context: my buddy is in great shape, attractive, and single ... I am none of the above. But within 5 minutes an attractive female employee of the establishment went out of her way to come compliment my hat and talk to me a few minutes.

After she left my friend said, "Dude, you she realize she was hitting on you, right?"
I just smiled and replied, "Well, chicks dig the hat."

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
The only positive comment I can remember (not that I would consider "What Up Gansta!" a strictly negative comment) was given to me probably four or so years ago. I was about 18 or 19 at the time, and was wearing my Biltmore grey fedora at the time while visiting family in Texas. I was in one of those shops that sells incense, wooden boxes, windchimes and other such things when a middle aged gentlemen turned to me and said, "Where did you get your hat, son?" I told him I purchased it online, and just didn't like wearing baseball caps. He smiled at me and told me it was nice to see a young fellow wearing something stylish.

duggap

Banned
I sure like the idea of this thread. I went out for a glass of tea at my favorite deli and three high school age young men who worked there cornered me and wanted to know all about where they could buy hats like mine. One said "man you have the best looking hats all the time". Made me feel real good, especially coming from all the hip youngsters.:)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I posted this before but...

There is a lady who works at Dutch Art Gallery who always comments on my hat.

She says I ,"don't look like Mr. Carter" without a hat.

I need to watch out for that Mr. Carter fella. :)

bolthead

johnnycanuck said:
"Hay Dick Tracy, I love your hat" May not sound like the nicest complement. But being it came from a very attractive woman and said in a very flirtatious/ seductive way, it rates fairly high on my list.
Johnny
Don't really have one that I can think of, off hand.....but I do like johnny's. :eusa_clap

metropd

One Too Many
I was in the race track bathroom at the turf club. I just adjusted my hat infront of the mirror and man walks in behind me in a white linen jacket and a Hermes watch says "you look like a made man."

metropd

One Too Many
I was at a sushi lounge restraunt on main street and a women probably in here mid to late 20's says "your hat is gorgeous, you are a beautiful person" Then asks to dance with me. I hesitated and said I'm not really a dancer after her persistence I busted out some moves only Don Cornelius would remember. I have so many I could spend all day posting comments do you want to hear more?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
metropd said:
I was in the race track bathroom at the turf club. I just adjusted my hat infront of the mirror and man walks in behind me in a white linen jacket and a Hermes watch says "you look like a made man."

This is fabulous!

Benny Holiday

Whenever we do the grocery shopping, the first thing we do is take my three-year-old daughter to Wendys to get her a strawberry thickshake. She loves them! A couple of weeks ago when we went there I was unusually hatless, and the two guys working there, one about 17 and other not much older, both wanted to know where the hat was. They said they loved seeing my hats, they looked so cool. Made me feel pretty good.

dnjan

One Too Many
Twice now I have had people I know say that I was looking "dapper" today. Now that's a word one doesn't hear too often these days, but a compliment just the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21