Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I too get...

...more positive comments than negative. I work in a Major Command HQ, and so the folks tend to be conservative. While they are in flight suits and BDUs, they tend to be appreciative of classic dressing. It's a rare day when I don't hear a compliment -- from generals to the most junior airmen. Folks seem to really like it.

Edward

Bartender
WildCelt said:
I dunno, but I've had more girls flirting with me since I've been married than I ever had before.[huh]

Maybe it's a case of "well, if nobody else wants him, he can't be up to much" ? lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
Vintage Betty, if only we had more dames in L.A. that looked as classy as you...:rolleyes:

Mr. Widebrim! You are making me blush!

But LA had it's chance. I'm Californian born, and am half LA. I've been there at least 10 summers in a row, and tried repeatedly to hook up with relatives for years as I travelled there. There was no response at all, and I finally gave up.

BUT...

I now have my new Fedora Lounge family, who appear to be MUCH NICER and welcoming than my real family...so I'll visit with you instead!!! lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hat Comments

I teach in an upper-middle class section of L.A., where one often sees men wearing stingy-brim hats. The students and staff are used to seeing me in fairly wide-brim straws and felts (about 3x per week), often with suits or sport coats. I've received all positive comments, including the ever elusive dapper. One South American mom told me that I reminded her of the teachers in her native Peru'. I find, though, that dressing in a suit or sport coat with a hat draws more attention than I want, and that "dressing down" (i.e. slacks or jeans with sport shirt) draws attention more to the hat than to the entire ensemble. When I showed up with a grey Jaxon fedora at a friend's Sunday worship service once, another friend's wife (pastor's wife) said that she wanted to see her husband and 12 year-old son in hats, and that she would do anything to see more men in hats. If only more women were of that mold...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Mr. Widebrim! You are making me blush!

But LA had it's chance. I'm Californian born, and am half LA. I've been there at least 10 summers in a row, and tried repeatedly to hook up with relatives for years as I travelled there. There was no response at all, and I finally gave up.

BUT...

I now have my new Fedora Lounge family, who appear to be MUCH NICER and welcoming than my real family...so I'll visit with you instead!!! lol

Vintage Betty, hopefully you will come down for John in W. Covina's FL gathering next month and/or the Queen Mary event in November. We need more women of your calibre. ;)

I've grown so accustomed to hearing positive comments about my hats that I've almost come to expect them. Seriously, if it has been more than a couple of days since I've heard someone utter some variation on the "nice hat" theme, I begin to wonder what's wrong.
But then, my hats ARE nice, so the comments are essentially small talk, sort of like the "sure is cloudy today" observations. I take 'em more as statements of the obvious than personal compliments, although I would of course rather be thought to have good taste than bad. And I at least say "thank you" (or some variation on it) and I often try to find something about the compliment giver's appearance to favorably comment on. Such civility, you know.

deelovely

Practically Family
We just went to Starbuck's to get some coffee and I wore my new brown hat from BCF. First thing the girl at the drive thru window said when I pulled up was "I love your hat! That is sooo cute!" :D

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Classy

Last night, We were out shopping at Belk's, When a man came up to me and said " Nice Hat, it's really Classy

I was wearing my Stetson Panama Center Dent with a Tommy B Shirt ( it was still 80 degrees)

It made me feel really good

:) :) :) :)

Bammac

New in Town
Nice Comment...

I have not been wearing fedora's for long, and living in a pop. 250 horse & cow town does not present a lot of opportunity for me. However, one evening I was dressed up for a evening out-door shakespeare play at a local winery and stopped by the post office to get my mail. A (very) elderly women
came in and looked at me,then shuffled over to me and just laid her hand on my arm...she was shaking quite a bit, but smiling. She mumbled to a young girl who was with her , obviously she had a problem with speech, and the young girl told me that her grandma wanted to say I reminded her of her 1st son, because of my hat. The old gal just patted my arm.

I felt good about that, then the young girl asked me if anyone had ever told me I looked like Garth Brooks-and that kinda deflated me....

But I HAVE been putting on weight..........(sigh)

Bam

Aerol

A-List Customer
I love Chicago

It's a real hat town. I don't ever remember receiving a negative comment on the street. Just yesterday I was visiting my folks at their senior center, and as I was walking in a woman stopped me to tell me how much she liked my hat.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Not really the nicest comment but, I went to the station today to pick up some boots that came in for me. I was wearing my Jaxon bogart and my Chief saw me. He said, nice hat and then said indiana jones. I said its a bogart not an indy! He said indiana jones again, but then said, I would love to wear hats like that but I don't know when or where I could! I said you can wear them anytime you're the chief!:eusa_doh: :D

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
Not really the nicest comment but, I went to the station today to pick up some boots that came in for me. I was wearing my Jaxon bogart and my Chief saw me. He said, nice hat and then said indiana jones. I said its a bogart not an indy! He said indiana jones again, but then said, I would love to wear hats like that but I don't know when or where I could! I said you can wear them anytime you're the chief!:eusa_doh: :D

He may be due for a gift. :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:

Perhaps you're right that it isn't the "nicest" comment, but it was certainly not an unpleasant comment, and got you into a brief conversation with your chief, on a human level that perhaps you don't often get the opportunity for.

I have to say, one of the real bonuses (boni? :D ) of hat wearing are the fun little exchanges and conversations that strike up with genuinely interested people.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Of course that all depends on what the chief looks like....[huh] :D :D lol
IC...I think you should give him a hat...Find out what size and get him a nice fedora! tell him you "found" something that might fit him and see if he would want it...[huh] ...:D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
Of course that all depends on what the chief looks like....[huh] :D :D lol
IC...I think you should give him a hat...Find out what size and get him a nice fedora! tell him you "found" something that might fit him and see if he would want it...[huh] ...:D

Well, I think IC could probably get hold of a pink hat with holes in it. Would that do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner