Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I generally don't get a lot of comments about my hat wearing habit but just yesterday a lady at the gas station said, "that sure is a spiffy hat you got on!". Cool, huh?

Chanfan

A-List Customer
So yesterday (a Friday), I was a little tired and distracted in the AM. I had to rush out the door to make my train, and in that rush, forgot my hat (a brown Stetson fedora). I realized it a few blocks away, but looked at the time, and decided I had to press on if I wanted to make the last train in.

The train is a commuter from Everett into Seattle, one of only three that run in the morning. I'm a regular on it, and the last one back. I must admit I felt a little undressed without my hat.

In fact, when I was out and about in downtown Seattle, I stopped into Byrne Utz (our local hat shop), and looked at hats - well, caps, in particular. Alas, what they had in 7&5/8ths, either were in a color I didn't care for, or a style that didn't fit my face (8 piece button tops).

I resigned myself to waiting until I got home, and actually felt a little more relieved than usual on a Friday afternoon when that time came.

When we were pulling into the station in Everett, the conductor spotted me, and asked "Hey, where's your hat?"

I, slightly embarrassed, explained that I had forgotten it.

"You can't forget that. It's like, your signature!"

"Yeah, I feel naked without it."

"Don't worry, you still got it goin' on."

Heh, made my commute. :)

JEEP

Practically Family
I have gotten quite a few positive comments about my hats since I started wearing them regular basis.

One of the more "interesting" stories is this:

I had just gotten my Ab-dlx and was wearing it for the first time at my local shopping-mall, as I was heading for the exit a group of young (14-18) "gangster/thug" types blocked my way (being a big fellah' and a teacher of martial arts I wasn't afraid of them - but experience has taught me never to underestimate strenght of numbers), they stood there for a second looking at me, then a guy (a little older than the rest - most likely the "leader") stepped forward, smiled broadly and said "that is the cooles lid ever man", then everyone smiled and stepped aside for me to pass.

/Jakob

kysaddletramp

New in Town
Look for the hat!

I attended all my daughter's marching band competitions. She told me she and her friends always saw me in the stands rooting for the band.
"How do you find me in all the crowd?" I asked
"Oh that's easy," she said, "We just look for the hat!"

indycop

I'll Lock Up
While shopping in Orlando (Bass pro shop) I was wearing my Art Fawcett "Remembrance". A man who had been watching us walk up said that my hat reminded him of his dad when his dad was 30. He said that his dad had a hat that looked very much like it, and then he said it looked great and he hoped I had a great day.:)

londonboy

Familiar Face
I am experiencing a different problem. After I left the service at Westminster Abbey this morning, a young lady stopped me across the street from Big Ben and requested to take my photograph. I was in a simple gray suit, plain toed black shoes, and carrying my umbrella. I was not sure if it was the pocket square or the fedora that attracted her attention, but I sheepishly begged off as I have learned to be wary of the Internet. This was not, however, the first incident.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Simple, but still nice

In another thread, PAT H was asking which color hat to choose, knowing that most people are going to reference Indiana Jones even if you're wearing a silverbelly ... it made me remember something that just happened to me earlier this evening.

The general public's inability to distinguish between colors notwithstanding, I was pleasantly surprised. A lady I work with only sees me a couple of times per day and only a few days per week (and has never spoken to me), but she noticed that today I switched from the "carbon grey" I have been wearing every day this week to a brown Federation.

Not the nicest comment I've received, but it lifted my spirits. It's nice to know people are paying attention sometimes.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
HamletJSD said:
In another thread, PAT H was asking which color hat to choose, knowing that most people are going to reference Indiana Jones even if you're wearing a silverbelly ... it made me remember something that just happened to me earlier this evening.

The general public's inability to distinguish between colors notwithstanding, I was pleasantly surprised. A lady I work with only sees me a couple of times per day and only a few days per week (and has never spoken to me), but she noticed that today I switched from the "carbon grey" I have been wearing every day this week to a brown Federation.

Not the nicest comment I've received, but it lifted my spirits. It's nice to know people are paying attention sometimes.

I wear a hat or a cap all the time outdoors. When doing rural work, I always wear a cowboy hat, but in town I tend to wear a newsboy cap. My recent compliment is on the cap, and it's like HamletJSD's, it's not the nicest comment, but it was a nice one.

I walked down the block to buy a newspaper, as there was something in the day's issue I wanted an extra copy for. I asked if I could get a copy at the desk of the paper, and the young woman working their said "Yes, where'd you get that great hat?"

It took me way off guard, and was very genuine.

funneman

Practically Family
Another nice one,

I was in Syms today taking care of some things. I had been to a karate tournament, and a birthday party at an ice skating rink so it was a casual day. Just an olive green t-shirt, blue jeans and my olive green Dobbs stingy.

A guy behind me, trying on a suit says out loud "I like that hat, that looks greaton you!"

I thanked him and told him there were plenty of hats on OFAS.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Knoxville

I was in Knoxville last week for a vendor conference. As I was leaving the Copper Cellar on Cumberland a woman said "nice chapeau" to me.

Interestingly, it was the second time in a week that a woman said "nice chapeau" to me. I wonder if "fancying up" the comment into French makes speaking to a strange man less threatening.

Jfala

Familiar Face
I've only been wearing dress hats for 2 weeks now, but do so now regularly. I have a brown (mink) Stetson Temple - and have received some really nice comments.

From the manager of a local restaurant:
"Nice hat, very classy!"

Pretty cashier at another restaurant:
With a nice smile, "I really like your hat."

Theater ticket-taker: "Neat hat!"

All in all a great reception. :D

- Jeff

Jfala

Familiar Face
JT, Thanks. I posted some pics of the hat over on the Village Hat Shop thread. I need to take some pics of me wearing the hat as I don't have any at the moment.

:)

- Jeff

truffaux

New in Town
IN the last few years, compliments have been coming much more easily . Things are changing, and no matter where I am in the world, not a week goes past without a really kind, and brave, positive comment.

It is not like complimenting an old car, it is very personal when you comment on the clothes of a stranger. Mainly it is just stares and giggles, but it is damn nice when someone plucks the courage to say something nice. And for a man to compliment a man - that is daring. For a women to compliment a man, particularly in south and central america, it is even braver because of the whole machismo thing.

Abyss

Familiar Face
The second best comment I have gotten is from a friend of mine, who looked me up and down, then asked, "What magazine did you step out of?"

But the absolute best comment I have ever received was from an attractive lady, who told me that I looked very debonair. Quite possible a better word than even dapper!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went to Catholic Mass on Easter in Eugene, Oregon with my wife (I'm not religious, but she is and I'm a good husband). I had on a dark blue early 1940s DB, spectators, and my Lucien de Brabant 1950s gray fedora. On my way out, the priest grabbed my hand, shook it, and said "I like your hat! And your suit!"

Awful nice. I thanked him. Didn't tell him I'm an atheist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass