Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Teenagers (well, people in general, but especially teenagers) can be unbelievably cruel. Multiply this by a factor of 10 if they live in the same house.

They'll grow out of it, eventually. Probably. In the meantime, start annoying them about their own clothes. :p

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
8<---snip---8<

Might be best to provide this by confronting them more often and making it so annoying and stressful for them, whenever they bring it up, that they shut up and stop talking about it.

Or, get done up in an outfit like this:

19161313_45a65fa256.jpg

so when you go back to your usual stuff, theyll be nothing but relieved.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
boushi_mania said:
They'll grow out of it, eventually. Probably. In the meantime, start annoying them about their own clothes. :p

Yes. The point is, give them an unpleasant experience so that they begin to automatically connect giving you a hard time with unpleasantness for themselves. Once you create this connection in their minds, they'll think twice before bothering you.

It's poinient that for most of people as they progress into the teen years how pressing it is to be acceptable to their peers. As such, anything that could be perceived as out of the ordinary is worriesome and that includes family, home life and just about anything connected to the teenager's life.

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Kind of like Pavlov did with his dogs.
Ring their bell and they run away. :p

EXACTLY. And always remember to "reward" them when are civil to you: be particularly attentive to them, courteous, respectful.

This is how I try to act all the time: I reward people who are civil, and I am vaguely unpleasant to people who are uncivil (without, of course, disgracing myself by acting actively rude).

J B said:
Me too! I like both, actually, despite how horrifically bad Plan 9 From Outer Space was! lol

I actually got Plan 9 as a birthday gift last year, and it was a disc that had included a color version too, now that was very enjoyable, watching my favorite worst-movie that was traditionally back-and-white, in color.

Plan 9 is ok to me. It is no worse than The Day the Earth Stood still. I enjoy it no matter what the critics say. :D

cptjeff

Practically Family
J B said:
I watched the first Twilight, and here's what I think. It was long, drawn-out, and the "vampires" weren't of your traditional, Count Dracula-esque ilk at all. They were just modern-looking hipsters that were extremely pale, glowed in the sunlight, and played baseball with werewolves. I wasn't particularly impressed, though the books may be better than the actual films.
You received bad advice if you decided to actually pay money to the franchise. They're crappy romance novels written by a mormon targeted towards tween girls that never get to the sex part that every one seems to build up to.

There is a reason Twitlight is universally derided.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
You received bad advice if you decided to actually pay money to the franchise. They're crappy romance novels written by a mormon targeted towards tween girls that never get to the sex part that every one seems to build up to.

There is a reason Twitlight is universally derided.

Nah, thankfully, I didn't pay a red cent to see that. It isn't the worst film ever, but it's below average for me, and highly overrated. Anyway, quite frankly, if someone told me I looked like one of the Twilight characters, I'd feel insulted.

Papa Smurf

Familiar Face
First "gangster" comment...

I got my first gangster comment today. While grocery shopping I was wearing a brown Dobbs Twenty, a camel overcoat, brown slacks and a polo shirt. A lady in the produce section asked me mockingly "Are you in the mafia?" I didn't know what to say so I just said "No..." Does anyone have a good comeback for that sort of question/comment?

AlphaP

New in Town
Papa Smurf said:
I got my first gangster comment today. While grocery shopping I was wearing a brown Dobbs Twenty, a camel overcoat, brown slacks and a polo shirt. A lady in the produce section asked me mockingly "Are you in the mafia?" I didn't know what to say so I just said "No..." Does anyone have a good comeback for that sort of question/comment?

mmm, there is the old one "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" *tip hat* "And we're not in Vegas", an obvious, "Who told you? Now I'll have to silence you... permanently.", "I'll make you an offer you can't reject: shut up." (make your best Vitto Corleone voice), etc.

cptjeff said:
With Twilight and all, you never know what that might mean these days...
Regarding the whole vampire deal, I think the comment might have to do with that recent movie called Daybreakers. Many of the vampires there use hats so that instantly came to my mind.

Speaking of dumb comments, get ready for another one I heard from a female co-worker a couple of weeks ago:

*An old man steps in using a green wide-brimmed fedora (an awesome one by the way, it had a golden pin or something on the ribbon) and a cane. He pays and leaves.*
She then goes: "I HATE hats."
Me: *alarmed* "Why?"
She replies: "Because."
Me: "Because?"

Turns that for her they look stupid, there was no other reason whatsoever! I explained that, for example, panamas are really useful here (they are, sun has been getting increasingly dangerous) and quite common but, no cigar. "They are stupid" was her blunt reply. Needlessly to say I was and I am astonished.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Papa Smurf said:
... "Are you in the mafia?" I didn't know what to say so I just said "No..." Does anyone have a good comeback for that sort of question/comment?

Heck yes!

"Well...I vote and one of my oldest life long friends is a lawyer."

:cheers1:

Rick Blaine

Papa Smurf said:

"On de', uh, advice of counsel, I respectfully assoit my Fift' Amendment right against self-incrimination... Fuggetaboutit" [bad]

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Comeback

Papa Smurf said:

The best come back would be to say something like "I could answer you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Dr Doran

SlyGI said:
The best come back would be to say something like "I could answer you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Or look at them, sneer, and narrow your eyes, then walk away. That will shut them the ___ up.

In my experience, when in situations like this, it is better to seem actually dangerous and a bit psychopathic than to joke around.

UNLESS you are in a jocular mood, in which case joking is perfectly appropriate, and if it's a cute girl, get her number because she might have just wanted to talk to you and said whatever she could think of, knowing it was sort of lame, but wanting to say something anyway.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
SlyGI said:

Yeah, I was gonna say to lean over, look side to side, then at her, and say, 'I'd tell ya but then I'd havta kill ya,' in the Madagascar penguin voice, lol and then walk away.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
My first fedora-insult today! Some lit'lun's on bicycles yelled out to me "What's with the tophat!" I felt like yelling back to them that it's a fedora, but figured why should I need to explain myself to the likes of them. It ruffled my feathers a bit, but I was on break. So I walked on. Such ignorance in the younger kids today.

Cheers,
flute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael