Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elegant Male

Brinybay

Practically Family
Stumbled across this while looking at something entirely different. I got a kick out of the British lady at the end.

They mention male cosmetics in the video. I'm middle-aged and have dark circles under my eyes that make me look tired and haggard. When I was job-hunting, I actually thought about trying cosmetics. Frankly, I didn't think it was fair women could paint themselves up to look much more youthful than they are, and I only wanted to cover or reduce the dark circles for interviews, not use war-paint on a regular basis.

I couldn't get any of my female friends to help me with that. Store clerks were a little more helpful, but they mostly wanted to prescribe something to actually treat the dark circles, but that would take weeks, months, or maybe even years, and I felt they were beyond treatment, just wanted to know how to cover them up but not look like I'm "painted".

Anyway, here's the Youtube video: The Elegant Male

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
What a fascinating video! The lady at the end was a riot. It wouldn't have surprised me if she had said: "Cigarettes? Oh yes. Beer? Yes, yes. Sweat? Oh lovely. Fart? Mmm yes, very masculine." lol
As for dark rings under the eyes, it's silly no one would help you. Women use concealer under their eyes. An expensive little tube of liquid you apply with a make-up sponge or brush. (For coverage of the entire face, they use foundation.) You would need a concealer that is the exact right shade and tone for your skin. Go to a Mac boutique, their staff is very helpful (at least in my town).
Or you could go for the dark circles/forehead wrinkles/haggard look:
130-024~Humphrey-Bogart-Posters.jpg

Oddly women won't be idolized if they go for it though. Just compare Liz Taylor's skin to Richard Burton's in the 60s-70s! (He must have had severe acne at som point.)
Personally I don't wear make-up every day, but I do use lipstick, I love the way the color brightens up your face and makes you look instantly dreamy.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, yes.... concealer hides a multitude of sins. I don't usually, bother, but on occasion will use it on my own eye bags. Believe me, if it can hide mine, anyone else's would be a breeze. I have eyes like Droopy on a good day.

culp

New in Town
Raine Spencer

the lady at the beginning is Raine McCorquodale the daughter of the utterly terrifying romantic lady novelist Barbera Cartland.

She has married well in her day being stepmother to Lady Diana when she married Earl Spencer she has variously been

* The Honourable Mrs Gerald Legge, Raine Viscountess Lewisham, the Countess of Dartmouth, and upon their divorce, Raine, Countess of Dartmouth;
* The Countess Spencer; and upon the death of the earl, Raine (dowager) Countess Spencer;
* Comtesse Jean-François de Chambrun; and upon their divorce, Raine de Chambrun or Raine, Countess Spencer

The second lady was Dame Cicely Courtneidge DBE

We Brits don't half like making things complicated

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my jobs is selling Mary Kay products and many men come to me or call me looking for solutions for skin concerns. If they have pockmarked skin I send them off with mineral powder foundation or a smoothing lotion and if they have dark circles they try concealer or a highlighting pen. No one looks like he's wearing makeup. There are products out there, the trick is to get women who sell cosmetics to think much more creatively.

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
I'm another one with the dark circles. I tried to cover them up with concealer, but because I have acne-prone skin at the best of times... well, let's just say I made a bad problem worse.

I wear glasses some of the time, which helps hide the circles somewhat, but I've come to accept the circles as part of who I am.

If it was good enough for Bogie... :)

Brinybay

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
As for dark rings under the eyes, it's silly no one would help you. Women use concealer under their eyes. An expensive little tube of liquid you apply with a make-up sponge or brush. (For coverage of the entire face, they use foundation.) You would need a concealer that is the exact right shade and tone for your skin. Go to a Mac boutique, their staff is very helpful (at least in my town).

I only wanted to try it for the purpose of job interviews. Now that I'm working, I'm not as concerned about it. I may look into it again if/when I sit for a formal portrait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael