Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
nice panniers

Thanks Bourbon Guy, I think that site's a really interesting resource...hadn't come across it before. There seem to be some who aren't keen on the idea of 'field accessories' carried in the city. I think a canvas hunting/ fishing bag or a camera bag like Lefty's do a good job for those whose work takes them between rural and urban areas.
There are some really nice bicycle bags/panniers on a link from that archival clothing site http://www.guu-watanabe.com/english.htm
Cycling in town with a briefcase just isn't so practical so a pannier/shoulder combo bag like these seem a stylish option.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1030771.jpg
[/IMG]Both of these have laptop size compartments,with two smaller compartments in the front.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Bought a British small pack at a surplus store, dyed black, which I believe was done for the RAC in the 1950s. Brass hardware, Second World War production, just black. I plan on affixing a brown or black leather strap through the side buckles and BAM! I have a small manpurse that reeks for, well.. musty surplus smell and manly sweat.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Old Skool" Satchel

"I had been looking for an old "English Style School Satchel" very hard to find untill I stumbled on this company in Britain, After a few emails, back and forth to get all the details, (silver Buckles!!) I decide to purchase one. I am having it embossed with my initials in Silver, which they arrange to be done!, simple to order on line and you can even use paypal to secure your purchase.

13inch_1000pxl_web.jpg

http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
We New Yorkers tend to get a little sensitive about the FREQUENT negative remarks about the greatest city in the world made by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about. ;)
Getting back on track, I used to carry a series of different size briefcases back and forth to work with me, and after many many years of doing this, I realized I was neither putting anything into it when I left the house, nor taking anything out of it when I got to work, ever. In other words I totally didn't need it. I have been riding the subway baggage free for years now.
If you ever came to New York and rode the subways, you'd see that the women all carry at least two, often three immense bags at all times. Well, maybe one small one, one large one and one immense one. What they keep in there, God knows. But there are plenty of men, many the majority, who don't carry any bag at all.

I never understood that either. As a girl, I carry one bag at all times (Simply because my cell phone is old and bulky, and my wallet is bulky, and I like to carry a camera, and a water bottle, and a book, and maybe some aspirin...) and I have a shoulder-strap bag. I don't understand why girls carry huge purses.

You men have fabulous taste in bags, though. I like seeing guys with bags... they seem very confident in themselves, I think.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I have decided to have my initials on my new satchel here is the e-mail I received from Julie at Cambridge satchels

"Thank you so much - I know you'll love the satchel and the embossing is done by hand by a bookbinder who restores books and manuscripts for the Cambridge colleges, none of this machine business!"

How classy is that

Lady Jessica said:
I never understood that either. As a girl, I carry one bag at all times (Simply because my cell phone is old and bulky, and my wallet is bulky, and I like to carry a camera, and a water bottle, and a book, and maybe some aspirin...) and I have a shoulder-strap bag. I don't understand why girls carry huge purses.

You men have fabulous taste in bags, though. I like seeing guys with bags... they seem very confident in themselves, I think.

My mom has always carried a huge purse. The one she had when I was in elementary school she had used since the 1970s and was Avocodo colored and the same size as my backpack! She's downsized now to a black leahter job that's still about 4 times the size of your average purse.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:
My mom has always carried a huge purse. The one she had when I was in elementary school she had used since the 1970s and was Avocodo colored and the same size as my backpack! She's downsized now to a black leahter job that's still about 4 times the size of your average purse.

Mine is small, it's like... oh... It's from Disneyland, and it's an Indiana Jones bag. It can be super small, and I'm not afraid to be rough with it (it was built very sturdily). It can fit a lot, though. Like everything I normally carry and a two liter of soda and a sandwich and etc. Very adaptable. :) I'm not afraid to shove it into the pouches for your bags on rides, and I'm not afraid to get it wet, or to drop it or anything. Which is the best kind of purse.

This obviously doesn't work with my pretty fifties dresses, but I have no purse for those yet.

Lady Jessica said:
Mine is small, it's like... oh... It's from Disneyland, and it's an Indiana Jones bag. It can be super small, and I'm not afraid to be rough with it (it was built very sturdily). It can fit a lot, though. Like everything I normally carry and a two liter of soda and a sandwich and etc. Very adaptable. :) I'm not afraid to shove it into the pouches for your bags on rides, and I'm not afraid to get it wet, or to drop it or anything. Which is the best kind of purse.

This obviously doesn't work with my pretty fifties dresses, but I have no purse for those yet.

My sister carries one like this, but it's a Confederate Flag, and probably not big enough to fit a 2 liter of pop in.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm a nut for bags and cases...

Here's the leather rucksack I use often. In it I keep a set of harmonicas, some Ibuprofen, a multi-tool, some hand wipes, a bandana, some business cards, pen & pad, a tin of Altoids, an umbrella and a small water bag. PLENTY of room to spare for use as my thrift store or grocery shopping bag.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Others...

This is what I sometimes use as my carry-on bag when flying and certain other chores. They flop right over my shoulder and ride there comfortably with handy access to one of the pouches. Beat to hell, patched up, and still going strong; Utahn Saddle Company saddlebags.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Lastly...

This simple leather zippered pouch is my favorite for trips to the bank or transport of a few files and a phone, etc.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

When I absolutely need a briefcase, I use this old English expandable number:

DSC_0005.jpg

Oh yeah, and daily I use a modern, black nylon mesh soft case with a shoulder strap for gear related to my caricature concession. It has no soul like the other items I posted but it matches the contemporary, black scheme of the rest of my vending set-up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I go out, I carry an old laptop bag with me to put stuff in that I can't fit in my pockets. Such as my torch, my cane, my books, paper, inks, food, stuff that I buy...

But I wouldn't call it a 'man purse'. Perhaps a necessities-satchel.

I don't carry a bag, I have a very big wallet, which I get made fun of the 'coin purse' as my friends call it that is built into it. And anything I can't carry in there goes in my carryall......

GrandmaAndGrandpaVisit035.jpg

I can fit everything from Cigars to Telephones to Hats to (today's example) lawnmowers!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
This is what I sometimes use as my carry-on bag when flying and certain other chores. They flop right over my shoulder and ride there comfortably with handy access to one of the pouches. Beat to hell, patched up, and still going strong; Utahn Saddle Company saddlebags.
Those are great.
Have you treated that leather with anything?
I have a similar era leather USPS bag and I wonder
if I should treat it with something.

I am also nearly desperate to have a strap for it,
if anyone knows a source of a decent quality leather strap
with a vintage look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters