Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
There is more spice and very nice female figure depiction in other strips than our gallant lad's.
And I am too much an eastie bounder not to know adolescent boys were deliberately sought these sketch.
I do favour American A2 and the home wear Irvin sheep trims. I never could sport a sweater royal navy topped Irvin whence Trinity.
Coward clothing military I most certainly was.

The defendant widower Lonergan is doomed.
I couldn't resist a fast google here because its salaciousness is irresistible.
For further pruriency read Dominick Dunne's piece ''The Talented Mr Lonergan,'' Vanity Fair. Ah, yes June or July 2000.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_.jpg

(In the gymnasium at PS 226, Joe -- with Leonora on his hip -- steps into the voting booth and pulls the lever snapping the curtain closed behind him. "See heeh," he explains to his daughter, "'t'is heeh is how ya vote f'who's gonna run t'ings tilla nex' 'lection." "Vote," repeats Leonora solemnly. She reaches for a lever marked with two hands clasped within a gear wheel, but her father stays her grip. "You been tawkin' t'ya ma, ain'cha," chuckles Joe. "But ya don' hafta vote no straight pawrty ticket, see. In heeh nobody knows whatcha do, so y'vote f'whatcha t'ink is bes', right? Awright t'en. See, up heeh is ya constitutional amendments, I ain' too sueh 'bout what any'a t'at means, so we'll jus' pull "NO" on'nem, see? An'nen down heeh we gotcha Lieutenant Gove'neh, see? Now,. me an' ya ma bot' agree onnat one, so weeh gonna pull f' t'is guy Haskell. right? You got him on two lines heeh, t'stawr t'eh, is ya Democrats, see, t'at's me, an'nen he's on'na nex' one heeh, t' A L P, an'nat's ya Ma. Now you go ahead an' pull whicheveh one'a t'em." Without hesitation, Leonora reaches for the gear wheel and with some fumbling, pulls down the little handle." "Awright," chuckles Joe, "I shoulda seen'at comin'. Now we gotcha judges oveh heeh, we don' hafta deal wit'tat Aurelio heeh, so it's pretty easy t'just pull alla t'ese heeh. An'nen ya distric' attoiney, well, t'at ain' hawrd, see, O'Dwyeh's t'on'y one onneh. See? Now we come t'ya City Council. Now, t'is is diff'rnt, ya gotta vote onnis piece a' papeh, right? 'Cause we gotcha what t'ey cawl ya prop-ortion-it representation. What t'at means is ya vote f'ya fois', secon' an' t'oid cherces, an' it goes t'ru a buncha countin' an' awl t'ill t'ey fin'ly figgeh it out, right? Now on heeh we got -- well, t'at Wawlteh Hawrt, I ain' vot'n f'him, he's a louse. Heeh we go, Genevieve Oil, now, see, I like heh, she's some kin'a lady, right? Even if she *is* onneh f'ra Republican, she don' let t'em people tell 'eh what t'do. Someday when you grow up, honey, you gonna be onna city council, an' you be like Genevieve Oil, OK? Don' let nobody push ya 'roun. Now whatcha t'inka t'at? "Gen'vieve," declares Leonora. "Good goil," grins Joe, marking the ballot with a pencil. "Hee'hs Joe Shawrkey, now, he's a big shot, an' a frien'a ya Uncle Frank. Butcha know what, he's a lit'l *too much'va* big shot f'me, so I ain' gonna vote f'him. Now heeh's Rita Casey. I like heh too, butcha Ma t'ink's she fusses aroun' too much wit' tea pawrties an' awlat. Butcha know what, it ain'tcha Ma in heeh, is it? So I'm gonna make a X right t'eh. Now hee's Peteh Cacchione. Now, a lotta people don' like him cause'a what pawrty he's in, see? But I t'ink he's doin' a good jawb f'people like ya ma an' me, an' she t'inks so too! So I don' caeh what nobody t'inks, I'm gonna put ano'teh X right t'eh f'him. So t'eh. Now, we'eh done." "Awdon," declares Leonora with a forceful nod. And with that Joe pushes the big lever back up, the curtain snaps open, and they emerge, having done their civic duty for another year.)

The interior of the old 23rd Regiment Armory, on Bedford Avenue between Atlantic Avenue and Pacific Street began to look a bit like a puzzlemaker's paradise today, as city election officials prepared for the complex counting of City Council ballots under Proportional Representation. Set up across 60,000 square feet of floor space, and carefully arranged according to design, was all the equipment necessary for the system which Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, one of its arch-critics, has described as seeming to make the membership of the Council "expand and contract like a bagpipe depending on the amount of air pumped into it." In the fourth Council election since P. R. was adopted in 1937, ballots will be carefully collected and sealed and the boxes hauled to police stations, where they will be kept until they can be carried to the Armory, where the real work of sorting and tabulating will begin. Officials of the Board of Elections predict it will take from five to eight days to determine the final victors in the Council race, and further predict that because of reduced voter registration in Brooklyn this year, the number of Brooklyn delegates to the Council will be no greater than six or seven.

The Moscow declaration on Austria was interpreted in most quarters today as primarily intended to foment revolt against Nazi rule in an area that will become militarily important to the Allies once the Germans have been fully driven out of Italy. The first country to suffer from Nazi aggression was promised restoration by the Allies to its former status as a free and independent state, and its people were invited to hasten that day by revolting now against Hitler. The declaration agreed upon by the foreign ministers of the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union did not promise full forgiveness for Austria's participation in the war under Hitler, but stressed that "in the final settlement, account will inevitably be taken of her own contribution to her liberation."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(1).jpg

("Motive? What motive?")

The average American soldier in the present war reports for induction at five feet eight inches tall, weighs 144 pounds, and wears a size 9 1/2 D shoe. Such are the figures recorded by the U. S. Army Quartermaster Corps. But, it is noted, after a few months of Army life he has gained a few pounds and he wears a size 10 shoe. His chest size has increased somewhat from its induction-day average of 33 1/2 inches, but his hat size -- 7 -- will remain the same. The Quartermaster Corps reports also that it costs, on the average and exclusive of insignia and shoelaces, $114.86 to outfit the typical enlisted GI from head to toe, with the most expensive item of his wardobe being his $15.50 overcoat. It costs the Army an average of $75.37 per year per man to replace uniform items that are lost or worn out over the soldier's usual routine.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(2).jpg

(Ew.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(3).jpg

(There's something to be said for stability.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(4).jpg

("T'eh, y'see?" declares Sally. "I tol'ya Owen wasn'a guy Durocheh don' like. It's Wawkeh. Ev'rybody knows it's Wawkeh." "I t'ink it's Hig," insists Alice. "Nobody likes Hig. Hig's a rat an' a bum." "Hig's inna Awrmy," points out Sally. "Yeh, well,I hope t'ey drop 'im in Goimany," growls Alice, her arms folded and her jaw set. "Lotsa blondes in Goimany.")

Babe Herman, Dodger star of fifteen years ago, will go back to the Coast in 1944, after no club selected him in the annual minor league draft. "Brooklyn's Babe" has spent the past several seasons cavorting to good effect with the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League, and had hoped for a big-league comeback at age 40.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(5).jpg

(THERE IS MY ONLY ANSWER TO YOUR OILY TONGUE! Oh, Mr Tuthill, it's so good to have you back.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(6).jpg

(Yeah, you'd do it for Leona.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(7).jpg

(Like a well-oiled machine.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(8).jpg

(Will science never learn?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE OPPRESSED CAT HAS HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH OF THIS)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_.jpg

Gandhi clearly wants nothing to do with being on Page Four.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(1).jpg

"Dodge is now an major in the Army." Yep, assistant to the chief adjutant of the famous Fighting Lounge Lizards.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(3).jpg

"I didn't envy you when you were married to Bumley though."

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(4).jpg

F'gawdsake, Gray -- GET OVER IT. Now, about those ward heelers in panel one...

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(5).jpg

I AM AGAINST DRUGS. Have a cigarette?

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(6).jpg

Not only a ferocious chin but BOYISHLY TOUSELED HAIR! WATCH OUT FLIP!

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(8).jpg

"Ummm -- what flavor, madam?"

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(9).jpg

*tense, suspenseful music track*

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(10).jpg

Some people just aren't cut out to be parents.

Daily_News_Tue__Nov_2__1943_(11).jpg

Aversion therapy rarely works.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The Moore girl abduction is rather sick. What are grown men on shore leave intending with a child when
women are readily available for pursuit. Catch those sailors fast.

Mr Caniff's circular Cupid act is on I see. Taffy's been squeezed by rumour.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_.jpg

("I do'wanna tawk about it," fumes Sally. "It's awla set-up. Politics! Might as well have Judge Frank Costelleh while we'eh attit!" "Guess it ain' so bad I neveh got arounta votin'," shrugs Alice. "Me'n Siddy wen' upta t' Ol' Reliable afteh woik, had a few laughs. T'at place ain' so bad, y'know, afteh y'v hadda few laughs..." "YOU DIDN' VOTE??" erupts Sally, her eyes blazing with accusation. "Aurelio ain' even in oueh distric'," protests Alice. "An' who caehs 'bout Lieutenan' Gov'neh, anyway? Wha's he gonna do, run down'n get Dewey's cawfee?" "It'sa principle a't't'ing," growls Sally. "Ahhhh, ya wrong onnat," dismisses Alice. "You know as well's I do, principals is appern'ed by t' Boehd'a Ed'jacation." "Yeh," snorts Sally, "You remembeh t'at when Frank Costelleh comes aroun' an' puts a pinbawl machine in Ma's stoeh." "Yeh," nods Alice, staring fixedly at an Aircraft Warning Service recruiting placard on the opposite wall of the car.)

American warships defeated and chased a Japanese surface force that attempted to interfere with invasion operations at Bougainville Island in the Solomons. A spokesman announced today that in what was described as "a heavy engagement," an enemy fleet believed to have been made up of cruisers and destroyers fled northwestward toward Rabaul, New Britain, the big Japanese base toward which General Douglas MacArthur's forces were driving. The battle, which took place at night, came a few hours after fleet units under Admiral William F. Halsey's South Pacific Command and Allied planes ringed Bougainville with a series of naval and air bombardments to cover a landing of U. S. Marines on Empress Augusta Bay along the west coast of the island.

Most of the nation's coal mines were expected to remain idle today despite President Roosevelt's demand that every miner be "at his post of duty" this morning. United Mine Workers president John L. Lewis, after conferences with Solid Fuel Administrator Harold Ickes, refused this morning to send his men back to work. Although the American flag was flying over the entrances to 3000 mines, denoting that they had been taken over by the Federal Government, few of the 530,000 miners involved in the present work stoppage were expected to obey the President's demand absent instructions from Lewis. No explanation for the lack of those instructions was given, but it is believed that Lewis and Ickes are meeting today to discuss the terms of a wage contract under which the Government will operate the mines.

Republican Walter E. Edge defeated Democrat Vincent J. Murphy, mayor of Newark, in the race to replace departing Governor Charles E. Edison of New Jersey. With 498 election districts yet to report, Edge holds a plurality over Murphy of 79,072 votes. Murphy conceded defeat shortly after midnight. Edge thus returns to the position he last held a quarter of a century ago, during the First World War.

Thirsty New Yorkers look ahead to 1944 facing the prospect that the supply of liquor to many of the city's bars and cabarets will dry up. A report prepared by the Allied Liquor Industries that the "active black market" in whiskey threatens the legitimate supply lines which serve retail establishments, and predicts that from 10 to 12 percent of all commercial retailers of liquor will have "scraped the bottom of the barrel" by the dawn of the new year. "Poor merchandising" was blamed for the present situation, with the report noting that many wholesale liquor salesmen are demanding that retail establishments pay kickbacks of at least $5 per case of whiskey. Others demand that retailers sell back to the salesman at wholesale prices at least part of each delivery, so that the salesman may earn a substantial illegal profit by reselling the liquor to "private customers." Liquor has not been manufactured in the United States for nearly a year due to the war, and the diminishing supply has already attracted some of the old-time bootleggers back into that business.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(1).jpg

("I'm t'inkin'," muses Joe, "maybe t'is Sunday, me'n Sal will go inna City an' see t'at Phantom a' t' Opreh. I remembeh seein'nat pitcheh wit' Lon Chaney in it, rememebeh t'at, when I was a kid, t'ought it was pretty good." "Ahhhhh, thaaat picture!" chuckles Ma. "I took Sally an' Michael t'see thaat picture, an' it like to scaaaaared Sally haalf to death. She was holdin' a haan'kerch'if all thru the thing, y'see, an' boi th' toime it was ovarr, she'd tore th' thing to shreds, poor child." "Heh," snickers Joe. "It wasn'NAT scary!" "You say so now," continues Ma, "but at the toime it seemed so! Oi'll nevarr forget a coopl'a days aafter thaat, Sally was sittin' at that pianna we uset'a have in the paaarlor here, practicin' harr lessons, an' Michael sneaks oop behoind her with his face ahhl chalked up with floour an' stood tharr with a gruuusome expression on untill she sensed he was thaar, ye see, an' she taaaarned arooond an' liked t'scream her head aaaaahf!" "HAH!" snorts Joe. "I bet she didn' like T'AT any too much!" "Ahhh, indeed," nods Ma. "She joomped oop, she did, an', why, she pooshed Michael roit thru the windoow. Not joost OOT the windoow, mind ye, but THRU th' windoow! Cut him aaahl up -- if ye ever see that scar he's got on the back of his neck, why, it coom from that." "Ah," consider Joe. "Y'know, maybe we'll go see 'T'is Is T' Awrmy' instead.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(2).jpg

(Yeah, ask Costello, maybe he's got some ideas.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(3).jpg

("Papa's little brisket!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(4).jpg
(Remember that "Name the Dodger" contest a few years back, where they showed silhouettes of various players and you had to figure out who it was? I remember that contest, and so does the very clever Mr. Parrott.)

Yankee second baseman Joe Gordon insists the rumors of his retirement are greatly exaggerated, and declares that he expects to return to the Bombers next year. But the impending drafting of fathers, Gordon expressed the belief that the future of baseball in general remains up in the air. Whether or not he does come back to the Yanks, Gordon is sure of one thing -- he doesn't want to spend another spring training at Asbury Park.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(5).jpg

(You could just back away and forget the whole thing. Oh wait, I forgot who I'm talking to.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(6).jpg

("I'm THINKING IT OVER!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(7).jpg

(HMPH. I bet Uncle Bim wouldn't let anybody CANE HIM like that!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(8).jpg

(Hey, there's a good market for aluminum foil...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO KITTY!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_.jpg

Follow The Money.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(1).jpg

"I would say that that she is not in a pose that would be assumed by a woman in ordinary, everyday life." HEAR THAT, MAE AND KAY?

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(2).jpg

"But first you've got to learn the right way to salute."

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(3).jpg

Contact your local office of the Federal Housing Administration today! HOMES FOR DEFENSE!

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(4).jpg

"Oh, I'm pretty sure of what I'm doing." Says the guy about to have his head chained under a drill press by Laffy.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(5).jpg

"THAT OLD HANDBILL? Say, Mr. Proof, do you know how to make a Molotov cocktail?"

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(7).jpg

"Hey, this is fun!"

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(8).jpg

I bet this is how she ended up with Bumley.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(9).jpg

Coke bottles would work better anyway.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_3__1943_(10).jpg

HAROLD FINALLY GOT DRAFTED????

EngProf

Practically Family
"(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO KITTY!)"
Why don't they delete those stupid mutts and continue with the adventures of "Kitty"?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Harold seems conscripted. Expected his age and all. Pull for the lad of course but he seemed most immature.

Mr Caniff's odd lot lads cast Clark Gable with Kirk Douglas chin is a bit much. Gimmicky.
I really would prefer a swop more milk in this tea cup strip. Real depth not a leap in a ditch with the French
androgz no less showing flag. And now the Canuk Gable keen to score. Taffy looks likely target secondary object or Gret. Or some lovely local lasses out and about but Caniff will run back to headquarters, uniformed
officers discussing martial matters not ladies with ''marital'' temptations.

Mr Caniff should read that Esquire article and scan a front sheet or two for some inspiration.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_.jpg

("Heh," hehs Joe. "Y'evveh notice how wheneveh y'see some bookie gett'n hawlt' inneh coeht, it awrways seems like 'e's f'm Coney Islan'? Mus' be a lotta distractions downeah a' sump'n." "It's because," huffs Ma, "thaaar aaahl what'chee caaahl 'amaaat'charrs.' Ye can't expect t'do well in aany loine a' waark if ye don' give it ye full attention!'" "Ah," ahs Joe, as Hops Gaffney saunters in, gives Joe the glare, and tosses his pouch on the counter. Without a word, Hops helps himself to a toothpick from the counter, jabs it into the back of his mouth, and saunters out. "Yeh," nods Joe, "y'c'n awrways tell a p'fessional." Y'can," affirms Ma.)

WIth the supply of anthracite coal in New York City at an all time low, householders are faced with trouble in keeping their homes warm unless the situation resulting from the miners' strike resolves quickly. Repercussions of the coal strike were manifest in various ways around Brooklyn yesterday. Bins are empty in three local schools, and at the Navy Yard, tugboats were hampered by lack of fuel. Suburban areas are also hard hit. In Farmingdale, 300 homes were reported without heat, with homeowners limited to the purchase of bagged coal in one or two-hundred pound quantities, with such coal sold only at the yards, on a strict cash-and-carry basis. It is estimated that approximately ten days worth of coal is available in local yards and on railroad cars and barges, and until supply lines are restored, Mayor LaGuardia suggests the only thing city residents can do is "pray for warmer weather."

The U.S. Senate appears ready today to reverse its refusal 23 years ago to join the League of Nations by voting overwhelming approval to the principle of United States participation in a postwar international organization to maintain world peace and security. The vote may come this afternoon on the Foreign Relations Committee's revised foreign policy resolution, which has been amended to include one of the most important sections of the Moscow Declaration. Actual membership in a new League would still require a two-thirds majority vote of the full Senate, since the resolution up for a vote only expresses Senate support for such membership.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(1).jpg

(That lemon essence is strong stuff.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(2).jpg

(Gawblessya, John Garfield.)

This year's light voter turnout may cut the size of the City Council by one-third, as the sorting of councilmanic proportional representation ballots went into its second day at counting centers established in each of the five boroughs. First indication in early ballot counting yesterday is that Brooklyn can expect to lose at least three and possibly four of its nine Council seats. The borough cast sufficient ballots on Tuesday to fill seven seats, but tabulators note that so far about 16 percent of those ballots are either incorrectly completed, and therefore void, or were turned in blank. Early counts show Council minority leader Genevieve Earle and majority leader Joseph Sharkey showing considerable strength, with Walter Hart, Rita Casey, Louis Goldberg, and Peter Cacchione close behind. Under Proportional Representation, a council seat is awarded for the first 75,000 votes cast, with additional seats for each 50,000 votes cast thereafter.

A new dispute between the radio networks and the American Federation of Musicians is possible today over the payment of electrical transcription fees, and the AFM is warning that it may ask the Government to take over the networks unless a resolution is reached. The Radio Corporation of America, which owns the National Broadcasting Company, and the Columbia Broadcasting System are seeking permission to appear before the War Labor Board to contest the clause in the new agreement that provides for direct payment of those fees to the union. The WLB had accepted that clause on the basis that the new contract did not provide for a wage increase, and that it was the result of free negotiation between the networks and the union.

The supply of holiday turkeys, just now coming on the market as Thanksgiving approaches, should be about the same as last year, even though some 35,000,000 pounds of poultry are earmarked for the Armed Forces. The broad, big-breasted turkey, popular in recent years, is again expected to be prominent in the market. The Department of Agriculture notes that bird production was high this summer, but even though there is a strong supply, demand figures to be even stronger, given the amount of money available, and that may cause the supply to seem scarcer than it actually is. Poorer grades of birds are expected to sell better than usual, as shoppers quickly gobble up the better specimens.

The Eagle Editorialist congratulates newly-elected Judge Francis Rivers, who, by his victory in Tuesday's election for a seat on the Manhattan bench, becomes "the first Negro to win a county-wide judicial office in New York City," thus acheiving "the highest judicial office to which a Negro has been elected since Reconstruction days." The EE praises the outcome as "a victory for tolerance and good thinking."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(3).jpg

(Nice work if you can get it!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(4).jpg

(Mr. Rickey sure does know how to whip up excitement for next year, doesn't he? Meanwhile, I am very happy to see Hal Trosky making a comeback. He was a really fine player a few years back until he was driven out of baseball by migraine headaches in the wake of that "Cleveland Cry Babies" business. As a fellow sufferer, in more ways than one, I sympathize.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(5).jpg

(Why argue with strangers when you can argue with relatives?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(6).jpg

("Yeah, I said magazines. You know the kind.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(7).jpg

("And when I get done with you, I'm gonna go show Dick Tracy how it's done!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(8).jpg

("Why do I have to talk to all the crackpots??")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(9).jpg

(IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_.jpg

Oh please. If Doc Karpman thinks that picture in the LHJ was stimulating, wait'll he gets to Eleanor Roosevelt's column.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(1).jpg

Ohhhhhhhh Dr. Kaaaaaaarpman!

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(2).jpg

"And I know just the guy to come up with the contest! He used to work for Loft Candy!"

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(3).jpg

Sometimes a chin is just a chin.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(4).jpg

"I just remembered this is a hotel!" WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE!

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(5).jpg

When Skeez was a kid, Uncle Walt wouldn't let him play with fireworks.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(6).jpg

That tear-proof mascara is a great achievement.

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(7).jpg

"It's a wonder what he can do with an airbrush!"

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(8).jpg

They got Beezie and Lilacs too?? The manpower situation is worse than we thought!

Daily_News_Thu__Nov_4__1943_(9).jpg

OK, Mullins. YOU'RE NEXT.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_.jpg

("Attaboy, Petey!" enthuses Sally. "Atsa way t'show'm!" "What?" interjects Alice, roused from a light slumber as the train rumbles thru the Hudson Tube. "We get Petey back f'm t'Pittsboigs? Rickey fin'ly wake up?" "Nah," nahs Sally by way of elucidation. "It ain' THE Petey. Anot'eh Petey, Pete Cacchione. You know, onna City Council. He's inna lead now." "Oh," ohs an unimpressed Alice. "I tol'ya befoeh, I don' caeh nut'n 'bout politics." "Still, t'ough," muses Sally, " it's funny, ain' it?" "What's funny?" responds Alice, sinking back with her eyes closed. "Ev'ry time y'heeh 'bouta guy name Pete, he's a good guy," declares Sally. "Y'know? A reg'leh felleh, a guy t'at gets t'ings done. Oueh Petey, t' 'Bouncin' Basque.' An' Pete Reiseh, right? An' Pete Panto, rest 'is soul. An'nis Pete heeh. Gawdluvva guy name Pete." "Pete Devaney," offers Alice. "Who?" inquires Sally. "Me fois' boyfrien," sighs Alice. "Pete Devaney. I was sixteen, inna floweh a' me yout'. An' Pete Devaney broke me hawrt." "What happn't?" asks Sally despite her better judgement. "He was a gawrd inna BMT," Alice continues. "He says t'me, he says, 'hey kid, lemme show yeh' sump'n.' An'ne kin'a scootches down, right? An'ne goes unneh t' toinstile. He says t'me, he says, 'Now you do it.' So I, y'know, kin'a scootch down, an' I try t'go unneh t'toinstile -- an I get stuck. I was big f'me age, y'know? An' Pete Devaney, he was one'a t'ese skinny guys, right? Toin' 'im sidewise, it's like he's a piece'a papeh, jus' like a piece 'a papeh. He could fol' right up, right, go right unneh t'eh, an' come right out onna ot'eh side. Me, t'ough, I'm too big. I get stuck. A cop comes along an' sees me an' says t' Pete Devaney, he says 'congratulations, me boy, on capturin' t'is criminal.' I get sent t' Juvenile Hawl, an' Pete Devaney, he gets a pr'motion. I t'ink he's a captain 'ra inspecteh 'ra coinal a' sump'n now. But me, I got sent t' Juvenile Hawl. It was awrf'l. I tell ya one t'ing, t'ough..."" "Whassat?" replies Sally, her eyes rolled back as far as they will go. "I don' scootch undeh no toinstiles no moeh," declares Alice. "T'at's good," nodes Sally from behind closed eyelids. "Yeh," concludes Alice. "It's safeh t'jump'm.")

The Senate Truman Committee, asserting that lend-lease was never intended as a device to shift Allied war costs to the United States, demanded today that the Allies furnish greater quantities of reverse lend-lease supplies and be compelled to use their own resources to a maximum before asking for U. S. aid. In a report on the anticipated postwar problems of reconversion from war production to the normal pursuits of peacetime, the Committee demanded that (1) the United States consider now the terms and conditions of the world rubber problem, to guard against a recurrence of tensions with Britain over rubber purchases that followed the first World War, "a time when were charged exorbitant prices while being called 'Shylocks' in the British press for demanding payment of war loans; (2) that we find out now whether Britain should not be required to pay for US petroleum furnished under lend-lease by transferring to US ownership an equivalent amount of foreign oil, or the equivalent value in English-held securities in corporations having title to such reserves; and (3) determine now the possibility of acquiring rights to British-owned deposits of nickel, tin, iron, and copper in countries outside of England, and of acquiring the right to receive manganese from Russia in repayment of lend-lease debts. Should these things be done, the report predicts, the postwar period could well be one of "the greatest and soundest prosperity ever enjoyed."

The War Labor Board will rule today on a wage contract covering 530,000 miners, as negotiated by Solid Fuel Administrator Harold Ickes and United Mine Workers president John L.. Lewis. Meanwhile, a survey of metropolitan coal yards revealed that supplies of coal on hand in the city now stand at no more than 10 to 15 percent of normal. THe Health Department reported today that it has received a total of 297 no-heat complaints, with 55 of them in residences. In 11 of those cases, the Department made arrangements for emergency deliveries of coal.

Football star Tommy Harmon is missing in action for the second time. The former University of Michigan gridiron hero, now a 1st Lieutenant flying P-40 fighters with the 14th Air Force in China, was reported missing since October 30th in a War Department telegram received by his parents in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Seven months ago, Lt. Harmon was reported missing following a crash in the Carribbean, but was found safe. His parents have refused again to abandon hope, declaring that "we didn't lose courage during those days in April when we heard nothing, and we won't believe that he has not come out on top this time."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(1).jpg

(Jesus.)

Brooklyn showed a greater increase in juvenile delinquency than Manhattan last year, according to figures released yesterday by the Children's Division of the Domestic Relations Court. Over the first 10 months of 1943, a total of 1855 delinquent Brooklyn children came before the court, as against 1390 over the same period in 1942, for an increase of nearly 34 percent. Manhattan's rate showed an increase in juvenile crime of 32 percent.

Forty thousand persons a week are starving to death in Bengal, India, and responsible sources in Calcutta believe those official figures are conservative estimates of the reality, with the death toll likely to be worse in rural sectors of the province. Disposal squads are roaming the streets gathering the bodies of the dead for mass burial in vast pits, or, if the victims are Hindu, for incineration at Calcutta's cremation grounds.

Brooklyn postmaster Frank J. Quayle Jr. warns of a massive clog in the postal system if borough residents wait until the last minute to mail Christmas packages. "It will be physically impossible," declared the postmaster, "to deliver all of them before Christmas in view of wartime handicaps." All gifts and greeting cards intended for domestic recipents should be mailed no later than December 10th. Quayle notes that the recently-passed deadline for packages intended for men and women in the service resulted in a last-minute crush of unprecedented proportions. The postmaster estimated, that, conservatively speaking, about 75 percent of those packages were mailed "at the last minute."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(2).jpg

("Claudia," the whimsical story of a young bride just making her way in life, created by Rose Franken, is almost entirely forgotten today -- but in the early 1940s it was a majo multimedia franchise before that term was invented. It started as magazine stories, became a series of novels, a hit Broadway play, a radio show, and now a movie. And television is just around the corner. And yes, it's very evident in all these versions that Claudia is, in fact, a "child bride," even by the standards of the 1940s. Make of that what you will.)

The Eagle Editorialist endorses the results of last night's "town meeting" on the fate of General Grant's Bedford Avenue statue, noting that all seemed to agree that, at all costs, the statue must be kept in Brooklyn and must not be allowed to be taken away by Manhattan. But since nothing is to be done in any event until after the war, the EE commends Borough President John Cashmore and the Borough Advisory Planning Board for taking their time to weigh the merits of moving the statue to Grand Army Plaza or leaving it where it is.

Reader Edward J. Quigley urges the Eagle to begin an editorial campaign now to halt the practice of "feeble-minded movie and radio scripters and pseudo-comedians" from ridiculing the good name of Brooklyn with tedious "dese, dem and dose" gags. " "The ignorant must be shown," declares Mr. Quigley, "the light, truth, and glory of Brooklyn."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(3).jpg

("But lissen, not t'worry -- aftehrawl, AURELIO's ya judge!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(4).jpg

("Huh," huhs Joe. "I wondeh if Dixie's gonna come back t'Sperry's f't'winteh like he done las' yeeh. A lotta t'em squaeh dancin' people we got oveh t'eh gonna be disappern'ed if he don't." "Thaat Durocharrr," frowns Ma, "is a roofian. Sendin' those hoodlums ovarr heer to boost up me place joost because of Alice Dooley. Maaark me waaards, Joseph, thaaat maan is headin' faaar retribution!" "Maybe," chuckles Joe, "we'c'n get Majehkoit' t'run f'judge!" "You laaaaugh now, Joseph," warns Ma. "But maaaaark me waaaards. Durocharr bettar naaaht shoo his face aaaahn Raaaahgars Avenaaar any toime soon." Joe scans Ma's features for signs of a mischievious twinkle, but finds none. "In faaaact," continues Ma, her voice an iron blade, "Heeee'd be well advoised naaaht t'step sooth'a Empire Boolevaard." "Yeh," nods Joe, swallowing uncomfortably. "I hope he -- um -- gets t'message." "He will," declares Ma. "Durosha BUM!" declares Leonora. "BANG!" she adds, to her father's horror. "Children aahnd their oideas," chuckles Ma, her twinkle returning. "I tell ye, Joseph, ye let this choild listen too much to those radio seerials!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(5).jpg

("I'd like to see more of it than I do." Oh, Josephine...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(6).jpg

("Hmph, is that supposed to startle me? Have you ever heard of the Club Buccaneer?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(7).jpg

(I don't know who this is, but I'm guessing it's not one of the Marks Brothers.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(8).jpg

("And, of course, if I can get Donald L. Nelson to give me a metal priority...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(9).jpg

(HA HA SUCKERS! Keep 'em flying, Kitty!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_.jpg

"Suddenly" realized the sailor's intentions? You haven't known many sailors, have you? And hey, is Esquire paying for all this advertising?

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(5).jpg

"Is that OK, Mr. Costello? Because if it isn't, we can change it. Anything for you, Mr. Costello."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(1).jpg

GET USED TO IT KID

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(2).jpg

"Wait, you're serious??"

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(3).jpg

"But jes' don't get, you know, political..."

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(4).jpg

Never mind the cops, sister -- you better worry about the BELL SYSTEM!

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(6).jpg

"C'mon, we don't want to keep Mr. Walker waiting!"

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(7).jpg

Anti-Fascist Action!

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(9).jpg
Crisp, Refreshing OLD BREW!

Daily_News_Fri__Nov_5__1943_(10).jpg

Tomorrow: Josie runs away to join the WACs.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Having read Miss Moore's account of her four day adventure why Esquire is so Guy Fawkes is quite a perplex.
At least she is safe back home. Quite the scare she gave.

And our lad had his go with Gret. Must be other prospects in skirts about Terrence lad. Gallant knight our son is.

Ms Wainwright the nurse stationed mother India is a treasure what. Nurses always steal the show for quiet valour selfless service.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_.jpg

("Ain'nem good kids?" muses Joe. "It ain' like it was when I was a kid, lemme tellya." "Ye foond some mooney once, did ye?" chuckles Ma. "Well," Joe continues, "kinda. One time I was wawkin down Graham Aveneh -- you know, in Williamsboig -- an' onna sidewawk I see t'is papeh bag. I op'n it up, an' innat bag is money. I see yella innat bag -- gol' c'tificates. I'm ten yeehs old. I got a papeh bag fulla gol' c'tificiates. What's a ten yeehs old kid gonna do wit' a bag a' gol' c'tificates? Y'can't spend'm, y'wawk in any stoeh wit'tem t'ings, t'cloik is gonna say 'hey kid, wheah y'get t'ese? Kids don' wawk aroun' Williamsboig wit' gol' c'tificates." So what'm I gonna do? I ask ya!" "So," nods Ma, "what DID ye do." "I stood'eh t'inkin' about it. An'nen'is ot'eh kid comes up't'me an' says 'hey squoit. Whatcha got inna bag?' An' I says -- well, I don' say nut'n, 'cause he takes t'bag away f'm me. He op'ns it up an' sez 'hey whatcha do, rob a bank? Y'know y'c'n get inna lotta trouble when ya rob a bank. I betteh take t'is, I do'wanna see no lit'l kid goin' up t'eh riveh.'" "Tarrible," tsks Ma. "Boot that saalved ye praabl'm." "Well, yeh," nods Joe. "But t'is ot'eh kid, he don' get half a block up t'street when'nis OT'EH kid steps out'v'a alley an' says to him, he says 'what's up, punk?' An'ne makes t'kid hand oveh t'bag an' kin'a gives t'kid a shove an' goes strutt'n off." "Laaaaaw o' the jungle,' sighs Ma. "An'NEN," continues Joe, "t'is ot'eh kid don' get halfway up t'block when'nis big black cawr pulls up t't'coib, an'nis big guy inna ovehcoat gets out an' grabs holda t'at kid, socks 'im inna moosh, snatches t'at bag away'f'm 'im an' gets back inna cawr an' drives away. I lointa lesson f'm awlat," sighs Joe. "And thaat lesson was?" inquires Ma. "Keep ya eyes op'n, an' keep ya mout' shut," declares Joe. "An' don'neveh pick up no papeh bags.")

A Brooklyn sailor feared lost when his destroyer went down off the coast of Salerno nearly a month ago may be safe after all. A survivor of the sinking, who, in accord with Naval regulations must remain nameless, recently returned to Brooklyn and declared that so far as he knows, most of the crew survived, including 23-year old Radioman Third Class Leonard Kimmel of Brownsville, whom the sailor described as "one of the most popular boys on the ship." There has been no official confirmation from the Navy of Kimmel's survival.

A 24-year-old Sunset Park man is being held on $10,000 bail for the August 11th robbery of a taxicab driver on Flatbush Avenue. John Gabriel of 516 58th Street was shot by two patrolmen as he ran up Bradford Street after escaping from the Miller Avenue police station, to which he had been brought after he was arrested in a nearby tavern for the August robbery of cabbie John Herbert. Gabriel escaped from that holdup in Herbert's cab, with $18 in cash. He was arraigned yesterday before Magistrate Charles Solomon in Brooklyn Felony Court on charges of robbery, grand larceny, violation of the Sullivan Law, and being an escaped prisoner.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(1).jpg

(Sure, blame the media...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(2).jpg

("LOUSE!" hisses Alice, seated on a crate as Krause gives the furnace grates a vigorous shake. "RAT!" she adds, for emphasis. "T'Awrmy is welcome to t'at bum." "Yeh," agrees Krause, reaching into the furnace with a long poker to dislodge a clinker. "He useta cawl me 'bub,'" sniffs Alice. "I bet he neveh even loint me name, t' JOIK!" "Eh," growls Krause, giving the grate another shake. "I'm glad YOU ain' a louse," sighs Alice.. "'Cause you ain't, awrya?" "Neh," nods Krause, wiping a bit of soot from Alice's cheek.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(3).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Chuck Dressen. "I'm a funny guy. So why don't *I* get to go on with Jack Benny?" ""Ahh," exhales Leo, flicking an imaginary speck from his flawless lapel, "in this business, pal, ya either a top banana or ya'r a stooge." "What business is that?" retorts Mr. Dressen, his hackles raised. "Any business, kid," smirks Leo, patting his fiestly little coach atop his head. "Any business at all.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(4).jpg

(Mr. Robeson is an imposing man in more ways than one.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(5).jpg

(Poetry is the last refuge of scoundrels.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(6).jpg

("I know so little of such things." THAT'S RIGHT MARY PLAY IT CAGEY!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(7).jpg

(Job's not over till the paperwork's done.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(8).jpg

(Hey, where do you get lamps with your own face on them?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_6__1943_(9).jpg

("Anything to get them out of the house. Now stop bothering me.")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy