Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_14__1944_(6).jpg

Seriously, Milt, you couldn't have just implied this. No one needs this mental image in his or her head, do you hear me, no one!

N.B. Fitz does look down an egg cream or two in weight.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I'd never heard the ''caveman lover'' phrase before. Mr Wilson is headed to prison for a serious Sing Sing stretch.
And Mrs Bonelli has an airtight case of kidnap/rape; narcotic felonious assault and battery-yet her plausibility
rests on if she had a telephone inside her apartment. Wilson's defense counsel might attack genesis and her
implausibile concern as established fact prior to her leaving her dwelling. Not much. Wilson should plead the
Queen's Bench rather and grab the cop but a real silk will wear the helmet-wig-and prosecute.

GasAlley's avunculus counsel nodded cupid and human nature. Sharp play in the rough. Quite Walt.

Then Cheery Bomb. Boss Lezbo is really horning Musceles straighto. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_.jpg

("Butteh? Who's stupid enough t'b'lieve sump'n like t'at!" scoffs Sally. "I remembeh Joe useta put bacon grease on 'is woik boots back befoeh t'wawr, keep 'm dry inna winteh, but butteh? I ask ya!" "Did it woik?" queries Alice. "Yeh," shrugs Sally, "but awla time dawgs would folleh'r'im home." "Siddy says he'd like t'have a dawg," nods Alice. "Yknow, when Willie comes t'live wit' us. Siddy says a boy oughta have a dawg." "Yeh," nods Sally. "We got Stella, t' Ginsboigs got t'at tawkin' parehkeet t'eh, t'at Zippy, an' I t'ink Mrs. Nucci upstaehs gotta gol'fish. But nobody inna whole buildin's gotta dawg." "Yeh," agrees Alice. "Too bad we gotta toin in awla bacon grease.")

A Republican representative from Tennessee last night blamed President Roosevelt for the "unpreparedness" that allowed the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor. Speaking before an organizational meeting for the Queens County Repubican Committee at the Triangle Ballroom in Richmond Hills, Representative John J. Jennings charged that "they're afraid to court-martial Kimmel and Short because if they do it will be discovered that part of the blame should be placed on President Roosevelt." Jennings further asserted that the Roosevelt Administration has been "hindering the Pacific war for political purposes," out of an intention to keep support from building for General MacArthur as a presidential candidate. He then denounced those who would "inject into the campaign a partisan discussion of the war."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(1).jpg

(Smile, kid. You've got your whole life ahead of ya.)

Mayor LaGuardia is "the most politically dishonest man I have ever met," asserted State Assemblyman Irwin Steingut yesterday. Speaking at a Cooper Union forum in Cooper Square, the Brooklyn Democrat argued that it is "hypocritical" to deny being "a politician" while at the same time seeking the aid of political parties in order to gain a political nomination. "For four years," denounced the assemblyman, "the Mayor declares he is not a politician, but when it comes time to get the nomination, he doesn't care which party's favors he seeks."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(2).jpg

("Ye don't need a divorce," snorts Ma, "if ye don't get married. Aahl these chooldren rooshin' inta haaasty marriages! They need to wait a good laaahng toime!" "Say twenty-foive yearrrs," mutters Uncle Frank from behind his glass. "What?" "Noothin'.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(3).jpg
(HEY KID YOUR HAIR IS THINNING. JUST WANTED TO POINT THAT OUT.)

BrooklynEagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(4).jpg

(CARDEN GILLINWATER! CARDEN GILLINWATER! CARDEN GILLINWATER. *sigh* It just isn't the same.)

The revival of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves," Walt Disney cartoon feature, now showing at the Manhattan Theatre, has justified predictions by RKO Radio Pictures that the rerelease would be successful. Six years after the film's historic run at Radio City Music Hall, opening attendance at the Manhattan was up by approximately 10 and a half percent compared to the average opening day attendance of a typical feature. Approximately 60 percent of those attending "Snow White" on its opening night at the Manhattan were adults.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(4).jpg
(Sure, kid. Sure.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(5).jpg

(There are easier ways to get mentioned on Page Four.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(6).jpg

(HEIR MURDERS BUTLER, STEALS SUIT. Speaking of Page Four...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(7).jpg

(I could swear I've seen this movie before.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(8).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG will stick to the indirect approach this time.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_.jpg

"Impersonating a U. S. Attorney?" What, you couldn't find a second-hand uniform?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(1).jpg

"Huh," huhs Mozelewski, leaning over the Sperry lunch table to carefully examine the photo. "T'a't ain' what she otta weah t' d'liveh ice. T' cut's awl wrong f'r'eh. She otta have sump'n wit' padded shouldehs an' a nice peplum." "You otta know," snickers Miss Kaplan. "I bet ya gonna have trouble gett'n ya ol' jawb back afteh t'wawr." "So what," sneers Mozelewski, pulling a sheaf of sketches out of his overall pocket. "I'm done wit' slingin' ice. I foun' me cawlin'! Afteh t'wawr, I'm op'nin a dress shawp!"

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(2).jpg

Yep, it's one of those neighborhoods.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(4).jpg

Panel two -- King says so much with just a few simple lines.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(5).jpg

"I've never been so humiliated in my life." -- Goofy.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(6).jpg

I always knew she was a romantic at heart.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(7).jpg

Hollywood really is nothng but an illusion...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(8).jpg

"He's been overseas for two years, you'd think he'd be sick of it by now..."

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(9).jpg

He's going to write something very mean in the guest book.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_15__1944_(10).jpg

Women get "the wandering urge" too. Just saying.

Since I'm caught up to the latest Clover Press release (which is up through 1940) until they release the next few years (should be this month or next), I've been reading through some of the bonus material they also sent (which is quite good).

Below are two promotional items that Caniff did.

IMG_1471.jpeg

This one is described as "Dragon Lady paper doll artwork and instructions for printer."

IMG_1472.jpeg

This one's caption reads "One of Caniff's best specialty drawings, combining his confident brushwork with an editorial cartoonist's wry look at Pat Ryan's 'dilemma'."

I'm guessing that it is Burma in the, umm, strategic position.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Since I'm caught up to the latest Clover Press release (which is up through 1940) until they release the next few years (should be this month or next), I've been reading through some of the bonus material they also sent (which is quite good).

Below are two promotional items that Caniff did.

View attachment 607098
This one is described as "Dragon Lady paper doll artwork and instructions for printer."

View attachment 607100
This one's caption reads "One of Caniff's best specialty drawings, combining his confident brushwork with an editorial cartoonist's wry look at Pat Ryan's 'dilemma'."

I'm guessing that it is Burma in the, umm, strategic position.
I wonder whether he later chased his war cartoonism with a monograph or two describing his Second War newspaper stint to put his work in finer focus. A final polish of the corpus work would make for interesting read.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_.jpg

("I neveh see so many men in brown suits," grumbles Sally, scanning the multitudes thronging along the Penn Station concourse. "Like bein' sunk in a mud puddle." "D'ye see Joseph yet?" queries Ma. "Thaat should be his train aahl roit." "He's heeh someplace," insists Sally. "Ti-med b-y Be-n-rus," reads Leonora, gazing with fascination at the gigantic clock hanging high above. "JOE!" bellows Sally, sighting a familiar-looking stride. "JOE! OVEH HEEH!" "Thaat ain't him, daaughtar," observes Ma. "That's soom othar fellar. Too taaahl." "How 'bout t'at guy?" queries Sally, standing on her toes for a better vantage point. "Not t'at guy, he looks Italian. T'ot'eh guy." "No, thaat's not him," concludes Ma. "See, he's got corporal stripes. Joseph's not a corporal." "Well, not yet," snaps Sally. "Donn't be so narrvous," urges Ma. "In-for-ma-t-eye-on," reads Leonora, gazing with fascination at a nearby kiosk. "U. S. Arm-y." "Aaaahsk ovarr tharr," suggests Ma. "S'cuse me," asserts Sally, pushing thru a crowd at the counter. "Which one'a t'ese izza train fr'm Camp Upton again?" "Long Island Rail Road," is the crisp reply. "12:24 from Yaphank, arrived on time, Track 19." "T'anks," replies Sally, "Track 19, see? I was right t'fois' time. He's gotta be in heeh somepl..." "Sal!" comes a voice from behind. Sally freezes. She whirls. "Joe!" she blurts. "Da!" squeals Leonora. "Joseph!" adds Ma. And just for a moment, there is no one else in view...)

Military sources said last night that the German High Command committed a basic strategic error on the west bank of the Dnieper River when the oncoming Red Army might have been held in check -- an error which will have a tremendous effect on the upcoming Allied invasion of Western Europe. Observers believe the Nazis assumed that the Russians could be held back cheaply while they massed the Wehrmact in France and Germany in anticipation of the Allied landings, but in making that decision they so badly underestimated the power of the Soviet steamroller that their entire eastern empire is now on the point of collapse, to the point where they may be forced to draw on their invasion reserves in order to prevent the Russian wave from sweeping into Silesia once the full summer campaign begins. Some experts believe that transfer of forces has already begun, with predictions now that the Germans will be unable to hald the advance of the Red Army short of Bucharest.

Heavy fighting has broken out in the heart of Yugoslavia where German forces are attempting to drive the Partisans led by Marshal Josip "Tito" Broz from the Fruska Gora Hills 30 miles north of Belgrade, it was announced today. The German attack, intended to surprise the Partisan forces and drive them from their vantage points overlooking the Danubian plains was thrown back with heavy losses, it was announced in a communique from Partisan headquarters.

The war's largest sedition trial begins in Washington Federal Court on Monday, with Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels, Rudolf Hess, and 39 other leading Nazis named as confederates of the 28 men and 2 women charged with promoting a Nazi conspiracy to overthrow the United States Government. In addition to plotting to establish a Nazi regime in the US, the defendants are also charged with conspiring since June of 1940 to cause insubordination, mutiny, refusal of duty, and disloyalty among members of the armed forces of the United States. It is estimated that the trial may last from two to four months, with defendants facing up to ten years in prison and fines of $10,000 each if they are found guilty.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(1).jpg

("There was this one guy I remember, this corporal in the infantry. All he could talk about was how he wanted to get back to this pickle factory where he used to work in Williamsburg. 'Brooklyn pickles,' he'd say. "Nut'n like 'em!' Pinkman, his name was. Pinkle. Or Pincus. Something like that.")

The Eagle Editorialist demands to know why the Police Department failed to heed the Amen Report's recommendations for an independent investigation of policemen and their dealings with bookmakers and gamblers in Brooklyn. Noting that what recommendations have been carried out all have been carried out halfheartedly, the EE observes that "the uniformed cop today goes around with the feeling that taking action against persons with influence will only get him the disfavor of his superiors, and result in his transfer to a post in some precinct far from home."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun_Apr_16__1944_(2).jpg

(ED HEAD! ED HEAD! ED HEAD! There, now, that's more like it!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(3).jpg

("A cracked pot don't cook beans." Now that's philosophy!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(4).jpg

("B-B-B-Bugs B-Bunny." See, you don't even need a return address to know who it's from.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(5).jpg

(John Adams looks like my third-grade teacher except she wore a wig.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(6).jpg

(Keep in mind Phil is a surrogate for Ernie Bushmiller himself. Ew.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(7).jpg

(Try the right wrist. Maybe it works different on boys.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(8).jpg

(If only Clare Booth Luce's parakeets could talk...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(9).jpg

(Honestly, he seems like a dream man.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_.jpg

"Eh, it's a living."

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(1).jpg

This is not a Mary Roberts Rinehart novel.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(2).jpg

I'll go a couple days sometimes without combing out a set BUT AT LEAST I WEAR A HEADCLOTH.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(4).jpg

Flattop must've been a real riot in the sixth grade.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(5).jpg

Do you get the feeling Mr. Gray lies awake at night talking to himself?

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(6).jpg

BEAT IT YOU FRESH OLD FOOL! And Gus certainly seems to be going all-in on the atmospheric lighting.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(7).jpg

All right, Jethro. Now what?

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(8).jpg

Ah, one of THOSE neighbors.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(9).jpg

"My long and hectic Casanova career." Ah, our Sunday storyline is set for the next thirteen weeks.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(10).jpg

"SAVE ME BURMA!"

"Give us the codes!"

"I will never sell out my country!"

"We will pull out your fingernails one by one."

"We break all your bones."

"We will cut out your tongue."

"We will make you sleep with Cheery."

"The first thing to understand about how our codes work is..."

"Give us the codes!"

"We will pull out your fingernails one by one."

"We break all your bones."

"We will cut out your tongue."

"We will make you sleep with Cheery."

"The first thing to understand about how our codes work is..."

I had to research, but couldn't find out. What does "Cheery" mean?

I had to research, but couldn't find out. What does "Cheery" mean?

Cheery is the first (or given) name of Madam Singh. You might remember her from a few years back. She is Captain Blaze's daughter, so her maiden name was Cheery Blaze. The irony Caniff played with in calling her Cheery is that she is the least cheery person on earth.

This is Cheery with Terry:
Daily_News_Sun__Apr_16__1944_(10).jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_.jpg

("M up!" blurts Joe, jolting upright at the first clang of the alarm clock, his feet swinging to the floor with a loud thud. "Joe!" exhales Sally, rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Joe! Y'don' hafta get up! Y'home!" "I t'ought I was dreamin' again," he sighs. "I do t'at a lawt." "G'backa t'sleep," urges Sally. "I gotta get up an' go t'woik, but you ain' gotta go noplace. Y'r'on leave, r'membeh?" "Oh yeh," sighs Joe. He sinks back to the pillow as Sally shuffles around the screen surrounding Leonora's bed. "You ain' gotta get up nei'teh," she tells her daughter. "Ya Pa's home 'n you'n him gawt awl day t'spend t'get'eh. G'backta sleep." "Do'wanna," declares Leonora. "Yeh," calls Joe from the other side of the screen. "I can't go backa sleep nei'teh. Hey, howzabout I make breakfas' while you get dressed? I been makin' a lotta breakfas' at camp." "Whateveh," sighs Sally, her eyes half closed as she shuffles into the bathroom. "Da breakfas'!" exults Leonora. "I help!" "Oh boy," enthuses Joe, cinching his robe as he heads for the kitchen. "Eggs ya don' mix fr'm powdeh!")

Profiteering in women's hosiery came under fire yesterday from Mayor LaGuardia, who railed during yesterday's broadcast over WNYC against retailers charging extoritionate prices for prewar nylons. Reading a letter from city resident Marian Stewart, who complained about being charged $5.50 for a single pair of stockings instead of the ceiling price of $1.85, the Mayor declared that "those stockings could be worn by Marlene Dietrich and they'd still be expensive," and noted that the retailer who sold them at them at that price, the Salem Hosiery Company, has been slapped with a fine of $3500 for violating of ceiling price regulartions. He urged his correspondent to keep the stockings as a souvenir, and thanked her for calling the matter to his attention.

Twenty-eight men and two women go on trial today in Washington Federal Court in the biggest sedition case of the war, in a courtroom barely large enough to hold all the participants, witnesses, and officials involved. Among those to be tried are Silver Shirts leader William Dudley Pelley, Gerhard Wilhelm Kunze, national leader of the German American Bund, George R. Deatheridge, founder of the Knights of the White Camillia, Joseph T. McWilliams, national leader of the Christian Mobilization, George Sylvester Viereck, who is already serving a one-to-five-year sentence for failing to register before the war as an agent of Nazi Germany, pro-Fascist editor-writer Lawrence Dennis, and Elizabeth Dilling, author of "The Red Network," a book purporting to name Communists in American public life. O. John Rogge, special assistant to Attorney General Francis Biddle, will prosecute the case for the Government.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(1).jpg

("Well," sighs Joe, gazing at the eggs sizzling in the pan, "it ain' like makin' precision pawrts. But it's sump'n!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(2).jpg

("Whatta ya t'ink, honey?" queries Joe as Leonora chews industriously on a slice of bacon. "T'is aftehnoon, le's you'n me go t't' coicus. See t'elephants anna trapezes anna clowns?" "Monkeys," frowns Leonora. "Willie go OOK OOK! Monkeys stupid! Play slommasheen!" "Play WHAT?" gapes Joe. "It's just foolishness," sighs Sally. "Kids an'neh games. 'Slommasheen' is what she calls some kind of a monsteh, I dunno, sump'n she picked up fr'm t' radio." "Yeh," exhales Joe. "Slommasheen GONE," continues Leonora. "Unca Jimmy an' Unca Danny TAKE it!" "Ah," nods Joe, his eyes flickering. "'S'like Docteh Minkoff said t'eh," shrugs Sally. "She's gotta 'magination. S' how y'know she's gifted." "Um," ums Joe, "is Docteh Minkoff metcha Ma yet?" "No," sighs Sally. "She don' want nut'n t'do wit'tim, an' she don' like t'ideehr'a lett'n'im see Leonoreh. She t'inks he'll stuff 'eh head fulla nonsense." "Slommasheen GONE," repeats Leonora. "Come back lateh whenna heat's awff." "Couldn' be woise," declares Sally thru a mouthful of toast, "t'en what she heehs onna radio.")

"Taxpayer" writes in to congratulate the Eagle for "revealing to us the situation in the art department at Brooklyn College," and demands that a full investigation begin at once under the supervision of the Board of Higher Education. "Today many young people in our city," asserts Taxpayer, "are open to contact with the immoral and the atheistic. It is the duty of our educational insitutions to beauty, truth, and morality, and not to incline them toward the bizarre and the sexual."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(4).jpg

(Vaughan has been working out with Camilli in Oakland? The Dodgers have a west coast branch!!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(5).jpg
(You know, "beard" has multiple meanings.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(6).jpg

("Get acquainted?" Well, maybe we had a couple of drinks...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(7).jpg

("Not a chance. Nope. And your fly's open.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(8).jpg

("I hope you don't have a beef with me! Ha ha, that's a butcher joke!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(9).jpg

(Never mind the falls, what about the MYSTERIOUS SUNKEN PYRAMID?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_.jpg

Bees? Who suggested that, Chester Gould?

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(2).jpg

Rakehell? Wilmer would have to study every Errol Flynn movie sixty times over before he could qualify to be a rakehell.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(3).jpg

KIds, don't try this in class. Oh wait, TOO LATE.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(4).jpg

"Oh, I dunno, I thought it might be fun..."

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(5).jpg

Tito? So Mr. Gray takes his stand with the Yugoslav partisans? Didn't see THAT coming.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(6).jpg

"You could run the canteen on my ship! I could smuggle you aboard in my seabag! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(7).jpg

Loud sport coat, spear-point collar, garish tie, porkpie hat -- hey knobhead, this is Hollywood, not Aqueduct!

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(8).jpg

Kill him now, save time later.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(9).jpg

"You ain't seen nothing yet. Where's Dad's old work pants?"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_17__1944_(10).jpg

Since she got rid of the slot machine, Ma is getting a really unfortunate class of customers.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Cheery is the first (or given) name of Madam Singh. You might remember her from a few years back. She is Captain Blaze's daughter, so her maiden name was Cheery Blaze. The irony Caniff played with in calling her Cheery is that she is the least cheery person on earth.

This is Cheery with Terry:
View attachment 607503
Well lads. A bishop mitre staved purposely tried true love or lie. And I am not alone thinking opportune chance stirs life, strife, and another comic strip character's wife.;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_.jpg

("I wisht t'ey was op'nin' at home," sighs Joe, gazing with satisfaction at his empty egg cream glass, a slight fleck of foam sliding down inward from the rim. "Ohhh, ye'll get a chance t'see'm before ye go back," notes Ma. "Tharr playin' th' Giants Friday an' Satarrday, an' Oi'm pretty surre Francis can get'chee tickets. You'n Leonora an' litt'l William go an' have yeself a foine toime." "Aw, gee," grins Joe. "T'at'd be swell. I s'pose whenney sen' me downa Marylan' t't'is Cook's School I c'n go inta Wawshin'ton an' see games t'eh, but it ain'a same t'ing. I mean t' 'Merican League? Who needs 'at?" "An Aaaarmy cook," ponders Ma. "Y'know, they make jokes about Aaarmy cooks." "Oh, yeh," chuckles Joe, "I hoid'm awl. 'Belly-robbeh,' 'hash boineh,' awlem names. Butcha know, it ain' awlat bad. Food's food, y'know?" Joe runs his finger around the rim of his glass in search of a last bit of chocolate, and looks around the store. "Seems quieteh in heeh t'en it useta be," he remarks, glancing over at Leonora sitting by the bottom shelf of the magazine rack, absorbed in a copy of "Ranch Romances." "Whateveh happn'ta awlem charactehs useta hang aroun'eeh?" asks Joe. "Awlem guys useta come in an' use t'phone?" "Oh, you know," sighs Ma. "Th' waaaar, Oi imagine." "An'nat rabbity face guy was awrways comin' in'eeh," recalls Joe. "He still aroun'?" "Oh, Oi wouldn' know," sighs Ma, flicking a sideways glance at her inquisitor. "Y'know," continues Joe, "I ain' seen a single soul go innat back room t'eh awl day." "Ah, we're renovatin' that room," exhales Ma. "Ah," nods Joe. "Y'know, t'ey ain' got egg creams inna Awrmy. Y'should tell me howta make'm. Be whatcha cawl a contribution t't' wawr eff'et." "Ohhh, Joseph," replies Ma, fixing Joe in her gaze. "Thaaaat's whatche caaaahl a trade secret. Haanded down t'me paaarsonal boi Mistarr Lieb hisself. A secret loike that -- well, it involves a lotta -- troost." "Y'know me, Ma," responds Joe, returning her gaze. "I'm real good wit' -- secrets." Ma regards his son in law with a pointed silence. "Indeed," she nods.)

American Liberator bombers from the Central and South Pacific joined in a triple attack on Truk over the weekend, starting fires and explosions in key installations at Japan's big Carolines bastion. It was disclosed today that single long-range bombers from bases in the Solomons hit Dublon Island in Truk atoll Saturday and Sunday nights for the 11th and 12th attacks on the enemy base by planes of the 13th Army Air Force. Other Liberators from the 7th Air Force in the Central Pacific also assaulted the atoll for the 20th time in a month before dawn on Sunday, dropping 38 tons of bombs on Dublon, Fefan and Moen islands.

Veterans of 20 days combat against German troops on the Anzio beachhead returned from front-line slit trenches on Friday to begin a four-day instructional course called "How to Fight the Krauts" at one of the strangest camps in any war theatre. Under the watchful eyes of Nazi observers perched on slopes overlooking the beachhead, and within range of artillery fire, troops returning from the front were surprised to find that they were headed for a training camp and not a rest area. The first order received by the fighting men on their arrival at the camp was to shave off the beards they had grown over three weeks on the front lines, and then to proceed to a group of thatched Italian huts to be schooled in the techniques of street fighting. Lt. Col. Richard C. Parker, in charge of the camp, told the troops that the course was necessary because American front-line forces have been growing careless and sloppy during the present lull in fighting. "So careless, in fact," commented the Colonel, "that even German prisoners have commented on it."

House Republicans today expressed a general belief that Governor Thomas E. Dewey will be the party's Presidental nominee for 1944, despite hints that a "Draft MacArthur" movement might be successful. Most GOP lawmakers have dismissed reports that General MacArthur, while disclaiming personal political ambtions, would be willing to accept the nomination if drafted, and concede that there seems little chance that anything will disrupt Dewey's momentum as the summer convention approaches.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(1).jpg

(I mean, look at his radio ratings...)

Wayne Thomas Lonegan is now Inmate No. 103,124 at Sing Sing Prison, where he will spend 35 years to life for the murder of his 24-year-old heiress wife Patricial last year. Lonegan, a former RCAF airsman, was sentenced yesterday following his conviction on second degree murder charges, thus ending a career that spanned a gap extending from rooming houses and cheap beaneries to the gay nights of Cafe Society. Lonegan will be eligible to apply for parole after serving 23 years and four months of his sentence, but appears forever cut off from the $7,000,000 brewery fortune left behind by his late wife, and is severed from any parental rights over his 21 month old son. To the end, the defendant protested his innocence in the killing, and charged that he had been "double crossed" by the prosecution. Asked if he had any valuables to declare upon his arrival at the prison yesterday, the former playboy said "I have nothing."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(2).jpg

(Hey Leo, how's your thumb?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(3).jpg

(Coming Events Cast their Shadows Before...)

An East New York infant was unhurt but ten onlookers fainted in terror when a runaway junk-wagon horse stumbled and fell upon the baby's carriage. The horse, driven by Dimitri Krot of 206 Osborn Street, was frightened by an oncoming trolley car near the corner of Hart Street, and fled down Sumner Avenue, dragging the rattling cart full of junk, and Krot, behind. Approaching DeKalb Avenue, the horse tripped on the sidewalk and fell directly on a carriage parked in front of a delicatessen store, where mother Mrs. Rose Ullman was being served. She passed out at the sight of the horse falling on the carriage, which contained her 11-month-old daughter Amy. When Jack Radin, Mrs. Ullman's brother and owner of the delicatessen revived her, she saw her uninjured daughter in the arms of a policeman, and fainted again. Storekeepers all along the block were busy reviving other onlookers who had swooned at the sight of the incident, as Krot attempted to pick up the junk strewn from his wagon along the street. He was not charged.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(4).jpg

(Olmo playing second? Who's next, Clyde Sukeforth?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(5).jpg

(Actually, there is no worse housekeeper in the world than a writer. Source: lived experience.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(6).jpg

(And at that moment, crashed thru the window A FLOATING ELEPHANT.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(7).jpg

(HEY JESSICA ARE YOU FOLLOWING THIS?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(8).jpg

(Check his back room first.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_18__1944_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG does not pick up hitch-hikers.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner