Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fabulous Star Theater, in America's Hometown

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
America's Hometown, AKA, Hannibal, MO.. home of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn *rolls eyes*. Fortunately it's also home of the Star Theater. Here's a little history lesson.. the Star Theater was originally built about 75 years ago, if memory serves me correctly. It was a movie theater, and then through the 50's and 60's it was a popular dance joint before being closed. It remained closed until it was bought by a local family around 1995 or so.

The building had since been condemned and was in terrible shape. They have a photo album with some old pics, as well as some "before and after" renovation pics, pretty spectacular. They redid all the wood, plaster, floors, etc. Just about everything. Mike (one of the owners) made the whole bar himself, and it's beautiful.

They reopened it last fall. They show old black and white movies and serve food, adult beverages, etc. The ambiance of the place is absolutely perfect. I figured I'd be nice and share some pics I took of the place last night, sorry they're a little dark, I took them during a movie (East of Eden). When I get a chance I'll go take some with the lights on, these don't do it any justice at all.

Also, I've been talking to the owners about possibly throwing a shindig there sometime. A swing dance with a band, appetizers, vintage outfits (required) and the whole nine yards. I know it's in the middle of nowhere, (Hannibal is in the northeast corner on Missouri, by the borders of Iowa and Illinois) but I was wondering if any Loungers would consider coming. I know I've seen a few of us from Missouri, not sure about everyone else. I know we have a lot on the East/West coasts, and I wouldn't imagine them coming all the way to Hannibal, but if anyone's nearby, or wants to make the trek, let me know!

Without further ado, here's the link to the Star Theater photo album, all photos taken by yours truly, Mister Misanthropy. *bows*

The Star Theater
Enjoy!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yep! And i'm really glad they kept the old style of the building, inside and out. It's really a special spot. So I notice you're in the "Midwest"... see you there? ;)

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Yes, Mr. Misanthropy, I am orginally from the Hannibal area, more specifically the Mark Twain Lake region, but am currently living in the western part of the state. Both of my grandmothers grew up, within different generations in Hannibal, so I imagine they both remember it. :cool:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Ah, my dad works out at Mark Twain Lake during the season. What a coincidence, we're both from the same neck of the woods. So tell me, if I set up an event as I mentioned before, can I count you in? :) I don't want to be the only Representative of the Lounge at such a great venue.

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
As much as I hate to say this, most likely no. I go to Hannibal rarely, but usually go to the Huck Finn stuff in July just to stroll through the craft booths. But I do hope you understand that I think that its great that you are making an effort to set things up there though. Do you have people there that are interested in the scene? Without that support system, you are really fighting an uphill battle because it is such a small town.
Please feel free to PM me if you are able to set something up though, because depending on when I may be able to attend. :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr_Misanthropy said:
America's Hometown, AKA, Hannibal, MO.. home of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn *rolls eyes*. Fortunately it's also home of the Star Theater.

How could you have mentioned it as the home of two fictional characters (Sawyer and Finn) and failed to mention it as the birthplace & childhood home of the Unsinkable Molly Brown??? She didn't gain her fame until she moved to Colorado and took an infamous boat ride, but still... <grin>

My more musically inclined partner, reading over my shoulder says "And what about Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, MO - you know - from Damn Yankees?" (OK...so I'll toss that in, too!)

But it LOOKS like they've done a fantastic job taking what sounds like a derelict old building and restoring it.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Funny you mention that, I just walked by Molly Brown's home today. I had no clue Shoeless Joe was from Hannibal, actually, boy is my face red. The inventor of the LearJet was fron Hannibal too!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Good idea whistlebait, I never thought of that. This project is definately still in the brainstorm phase though, so, I haven't thought of much of anything just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24