Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The feel of the era.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Vintage said:
There is an old neighbourhood in Buenos Aires called San Telmo, which is famous for its old style. It has got old fashioned buildings and anything vintage can be bought there; from clothes to radios to toys. There are many shops, musicians and bars, which conserve the old look.

7DA43261C7E94CE3A2B8F2A2633A86E5.jpg

1049BC1D88D74C4AB715D3D922D60750.jpg

8F149E744F494F209508831173418852.jpg

Last Saturday I went there, wearing my vintage attire, together with my father. I spent hours searching for old items of my ineterest, and even saw a gallery containing Art Deco furniture.
I was happy to see that I was not the only one wearing a Fedora, as a matter fact quite a lot of people were using one.
There is also a classic bar called ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCaf?ɬ© Tortoni?¢‚Ǩ?, whoch dates from the 19th century.

A51A571FA6AB4FC1BC4682F8D868823B.jpg

I tend to visit most of this places regularly. BA is quite a classic city, it has got many old buildings and traditions; it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a shame people don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t. There used to be even more old buildings, but as time moved on, they were demolished, or even worse, modernised; such a shame.

Very pretty, got to go down there one of these days.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. H, those are some great shots! I have to say that the first one looks 100% period! At first, when I saw it I thought that it was an old photo of a real 1940?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s investigation! That coat and hat look perfect on ya!

Any way, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m so happy with every one?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s input and stories here! Keep them coming ladies and gents!

WR.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Vintage, I recently returned from Buenos Aires and San Telmo is indeed a great place. The antique shops there have really spectacular stuff, although they weren't cheap. But that might have just been the shops on the Plaza Dorrego, there are probably better places to shop off the beaten path.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
Vintage, I recently returned from Buenos Aires and San Telmo is indeed a great place. The antique shops there have really spectacular stuff, although they weren't cheap. But that might have just been the shops on the Plaza Dorrego, there are probably better places to shop off the beaten path.

Agreed! Well, not 100% seeing that I have never been to Buenos Aires but, I'm sure that in most cases you'll always find that the cheaper stuff is away from the hot-spots of a city. Rent is cheaper so, the goods are cheaper. I work at Robbins Antique mall in Pomona and well, I have noticed better priced goods there then in other cities like LA, Hollywood, Pasadena and Santa Monica. When the rent is low, the price will always be a little more palatable.

Root.

Chile and Argentina are neighbors, though not always amicable ones. When I lived in Chile, I hopped over the Andes to Buenos Aires several times. Imagine Paris, but with a Depression-era grittiness. If Henry Miller and George Orwell were alive today, they would make "B.A." (Buenos Aires) their home. Incidentally, the city's opera house, "El Teatro Colon", has the best accoustics of any concert hall on earth. The cheapest tickets buy you the highest seats, the worst view -- and the very best sound. For about five dollars, you can give your ears the present of a lifetime.

Every antique shop within walking distance of the Plaza Dorrego is impossibly expensive. Dealers never seem to sell their stuff, and they don't care. ("Argentina's economic mess? What's that?") About five years ago, a shop facing the Plaza had a basement full of the finest '20s-'40s silk and linen attire (lingerie, day dresses, men's white suits) I've ever seen. The owner explained that they came from the homes of Buenos Aires' wealthiest families. (Mind you, in 1920, Argentina was the fifth richest country in the world.) Despite the high price tag, I bought one suit for myself: a black gabardine three-piece. The jacket is a 3-button, single-breasted model with peak lapels. Entirely hand-made by an Italian tailor in Buenos Aires in 1933. I ended up wearing that suit on my wedding day.

-- Marc

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I don't think the Plaza Dorrego dealers understand the meaning of the words "currency devaluation." I really only stopped by that area to look around as I knew that the stuff there was more pricy than the usual junk I buy. But I suppose the dealers could sense that and were rather surly in general.

It was nice to see an antique shop with actual nice antiques in it though. Around Austin many "antiques" shops are really shops selling stupid cutesy crafts, new junk, and tea.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
problems at antique shops

As some of you may know I am a fan of the pulp magazines of the 1930s and 1940s.
One shop didn't know what a "Doc Savage pulp" was but after explaining it to her she realized she had one. She leads to it and it is a 1970s Marvel comic book of Doc Savage.
Another antique store didn't know what I meant and I explained. The word "pulp" confused her. I tried to say it clearly and spelled it. Finally, she shows me the turn-of-the-century paper "Puck" and explains that I was wrong; it's not pulp it's puck. Not a good way to keep a customer.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Okay, I'll bite.

Back in June I went to a dance in Alameda at the U.S.S. Hornet. I rode in my friend Johnny's '37 Buick Special. He and I do the sidekick thing often.

Had a great dance, lots of fun. Johnny had too many beers.

He hands me the keys to the Buick. ulp.

I drove that beauty back to San Francisco, across the Bay Bridge, through the waterfront, through downtown and into the sunset district back to Johnny's place. Benny Goodman kept us company on the radio, both of us in our best 8th AF uniforms. The fog was rolling in and we were keeping mainly to streets that didn't have much traffic on them.

Hell of a time warp. It could have been 1943 for all we knew.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's a cool story bud! You know, old music and old cars driving late at night really is one of my favorite ways to time travel!

Man, when is the next USS Hornet event? Is it New Years? I went to one about four or so years ago. I'd like to come out to the next one but, who knows what might happen. The last time I was there, it was fun! Good times had by all!

WR.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Although I do not have any pictures, I was fortunate enough to attend one of the Cicada Club's penthouse parties about 3/4's of a year ago. Standing in Mr. Oviatt's beautiful art deco apartment, watching live jazz bands performing to a standing room only of people dressed in their best golden era clothes left me grinning ear to ear!

59Lark

Practically Family
brings tears to the eyes.

Two such experiences come to mind, in the henry ford museum in dearborn is a beatiful diner, LAMMYS DINER, they pipe in forties music and have period menus on hand, more than once I have sat in a booth and been brought to tears. Memories, of my youth and my late father and similar places. The other place has been sitting in my ancient studebaker sedan, hearing the generator whine, smelling the rotting upholstery, old dirt, hearing the old v8 tappet and valve sounds. The old radio glowing and the harlem noture playing, the portal is almost open and then a honda civic roars by with mighty mouse mufflers. I have always felt that I was left behind, and that i beloved back there, perhaps and due to this most of my friends were much older and wiser. The problem is there all dying off. Even my trade, I specialize in fixing ancient machinery, its not uncommon for me to be fixing 1940,1950 machinery, only problem with living in the past is that you have too pay todays prices. 59LARK:D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Some good stories here! Thanks for sharing them everyone thus far.

Yeah Bob, I feel the same way. With being currently unemployed, I feel I'm living in a Great Depression Dream! Just lacking good entertainment on the radio and movies. Other then that, the song "Brother can you spare a dime" comes to mind. :p

If you think the cost of living is going up over there, HA! You should try living in CA for a spell. Two bedroom homes in a nice area I have seen sell for $800,000. To 1,000,000.! So, I feel my California days may be ending in the near future if I ever want to buy a home.

Any way, let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

Root.

Hmmph!

This 7 bedroom, 3600 square-foot house, with excellent, refinished oak flooring throughout, a finished attic, 7 year old roof, and a 2 story 1400 sq ft unfinished carriage house, in a pleasant neighborhood, with a good school district is only priced at $27,500, and has had no takers for a long while. It was originally listed 18 months ago at $49,000. I would expect that the seller would accept a bona-fide offer of $20,000 cash.

Negatives:

The bathroom has not been modernised since the construction of this house in 1907, neither has the kitchen. The house is fitted with one coal fireplace, and a gravity coal furnace, with an old gas conversion burner, and the home is not currently insulated.

The house also needs a fresh coat of exterior paint and stain.

It is a bank-owned, foreclosed property. No appliances.

Otherwise, the place is quite nice, with excellent woodwork, lots of beveled leaded glass in the windows and china cabinets, good plaster, a pleasant, large living room, dining room, entry hall, study, kitchen and summer kitchen on the first floor, four good sized bedrooms with a bath (the house's only bath) on the second floor, and two bedrooms on the third.

Structurally, the house is in great shape.

Michigan RE is CHEAP!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I live in a very rural area,so one of the best feelings for me is going for a stroll while wearing a long skirt, it just makes me feel like I fit in somehow...[huh] the woods and all.

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes, I had an experiences like this a while ago. We were on our way to a 30s bash at Westonbirt House. There were three of us in my car, all in vintage. Driving along small country lanes with no road marking, only grass verges, trees and then rolling fields. At one point, in front of me was a Bentley, and then passing us the other way came a Riley March special.

No other cars, nothing at all modern.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've never had flashes of vintageness until I moved to the city. My neighbourhood is pure 1880s-1920s. My building was built in 1926 and still has a lot of it's original things.

But I usually get that time transport feeling for quick seconds, and usually when I'm walking in the city at night. I was once wearing a complete 1930s outfit walking down 12th street and walking past the storefronts I felt like I was in the 20s for a second. It also helped that there was a woman walking in front of us with a nice dress on, heels, and a 20s-esque fur coat. It was surreal feeling!

Just last week at my husband's xmas party we walked a few blocks to get a cab. We walked past this very 1930s hotel with a very over-the-top art deco entrance with lights everywhere. Again, I had on a 1930s outfit, there were no other people or cars around. I was there for just a second!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I missed this thread when it first appeared as I was traveling at the time from my former home in San Diego to the house I lived in as a child in Des Moines, Iowa.

I am still here three years later.

Speaking of haunted landscapes -- not the house so much because my father remodeled it, "modernized" it and almost ruined in as far as I'm concerned. It was built in 1914, so does retain much of its character.

But, the neighbhood -- the high school I attended, some of the stores I frequented, the houses of friends long gone from them, much of it is still there and, as I drive through the neighborhood, I go back into a time warp and remember walking to school, acting on the stage there, playing on the tennis team, remember classes I attended, friends I had. When I was a teen, the sun rose and set at Lincoln High School.

Recently, I went to LHS to vote in the caucus, and found much of the hallway interior the same, marbled floors, Lincoln bust and motto, the same as when I attended back in the 50's, but my old wooden locker, #1865, replaced by a metal one and not the same number, was gone.

Even my old grade school still stands, but is now a daycare center. I really go back in time when I pass by the place.

At Drake University, where I majored in drama/speech and got a BFA, the area called "dogtown" (Drake is home of the Bulldogs), still retains its look, but all the stores have changed. Everything is different except the old Varsity theatre is still there (70 years strong, survived by showing art and foreign films), and Peggy's Bar on Forest Avenue, where seniors used to go to have a beer or two, or maybe too many. Another time warp, another haunted landscape.

So, I get transported here a lot.

karol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I've never had flashes of vintageness until I moved to the city. My neighbourhood is pure 1880s-1920s. My building was built in 1926 and still has a lot of it's original things.

But I usually get that time transport feeling for quick seconds, and usually when I'm walking in the city at night. I was once wearing a complete 1930s outfit walking down 12th street and walking past the storefronts I felt like I was in the 20s for a second. It also helped that there was a woman walking in front of us with a nice dress on, heels, and a 20s-esque fur coat. It was surreal feeling!

Just last week at my husband's xmas party we walked a few blocks to get a cab. We walked past this very 1930s hotel with a very over-the-top art deco entrance with lights everywhere. Again, I had on a 1930s outfit, there were no other people or cars around. I was there for just a second!

Amy, have you ever been able to wander through Eastern State Penitentiary? When I was in college in Philly, one of my professors had an art installation project he was setting up there. He was able to bring his class in on a tour of the place... WOW! Was that place haunting! I felt like I was at the bottom of the ocean walking through the eroding hallways of the Titanic or something! If the Titanic was hauling Al Capone's toilet bowl that is :p

PhiPen_corridor2.jpg

800px-Al_Capone%27s_Cell_In_Eastern_State_Penitentiary.jpg

eastern.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic