Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Flat Head Rider's Jacket

Benj

One of the Regulars
Flat head came out with a new jacket this summer... I'd love to see this one in a brown horsehide. Definitely reminds me of Aero's Highwayman.

sztOjRl.jpg

0lMqy8F.jpg

PpHLWe2.jpg

AVp2Dva.jpg

7QQprQx.jpg

DwNNR7Z.jpg

dmk5oKU.jpg

bEr1GeA.jpg

What do you guys think?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Not my favorite either, TBH. I would go for their cafe racer or a RMC Buco J-100 if I wanted a black jacket.

IXL

One Too Many
I too do not care for the color of the stitching. The other features are all hunky-dory with me. I do prefer zip cuffs, though.

Benj

One of the Regulars
My favorite aspects of the jacket are that sleeve construction and how impeccably put together everything is.

I really really love the contrast stitching though, I love that visual contrast to the black leather. I think it's even nicer that they used differing lighter thread colors too.

technovox

One Too Many
I'm liking the overall look- the zipped pockets, the waist band, the red lining, yoke back, and especially the collar- which is so hard to get right. The balance seems to work. Contrast stitching and brass hardware is appropriate choice to contrast the brown horsehide. But I would also prefer functional zipped sleeves. And as much as I like the look of the "hookless grommet" zippers, I've found them to be a royal pain - much too fragile and problematic for everyday wear.

But in reality, I'm assuming that the price point and lack of customization will be a ultimate deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Benj

One of the Regulars
What's the dealio with hookless grommet zippers? Can you tell it's a hookless style by looking at those two metal dots at the base of the zipper?

Isn't this a reproduction of something? The jacket looks the way it's supposed to look and fits the way it's supposed to fit. And it fits the gentleman in the first photo just right on the money. I wish I could find that thread with the photos of the auto show from the... 40's? 50's, I think it was? Anyway, every male at the show must have been wearing their little sisters jackets as they wore 'em even smaller than the models on these photos above.

This would be a mighty boring place if we all liked, and disliked, the exact same things.

Not complaining at all. :D Just noticing. I don't like the collar very much, I'd prefer the pointier one.

I don't really care for the harsh contrast stitching on this jacket. It doesn't seem to jive all that well. Other than that I think it looks good but not quite unique enough to shake me away from other similar styles/established patterns of like design.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
seems like a very straight stitching & great workmanship,

it is not my style of jacket
it needs to lose those handwarmers, collar, weird cuff and those belting along the hem
and need to add a chest pocket on the other side
before I can start to feel anything about the jacket:D

about this tea core thing, yesterday I saw a guy on motorcycle with a black jacket, and the area where he sweat under the arm and the middle of the back turn totally brown whereas everywhere else still black, not a beautiful sight :confused:... I know that hide is probably just local cow but still the same principle brown with black overdye, I rather have black over black if the jacket is cut aggressively with high armhole and is going to be worn as everyday jacket, or if you sweat a lot in it.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I like this jacket. There have been a couple of the previous edition on ebay. I came close, just was not confident about the fit. Both were Brown, Zip sleeves as I recall and non zip pockets. Even the larger sizes look pretty slim fitting.

about this tea core thing, yesterday I saw a guy on motorcycle with a black jacket, and the area where he sweat under the arm and the middle of the back turn totally brown whereas everywhere else still black, not a beautiful sight :confused:

There was a black Himel Cafe Racer on ebay that had that same wear under the arms. It had some other wear, but that stood out. It took a long time to sell and it was not marked that high. I didn't care for the look. I'm guessing a lot of buyers didn't either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy