Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Flying Hat

I promised I would post this story because it is strange that I would have not believed it myself if I had not seen it.
Last Saturday I packed some clothes that needed into the car. I also placed a hat that needed to be reblocked on the roof of the car while I loaded the dry cleaning into the car. I jumped in the car and took off.
When I arrived at Art's, I looked in the car for the hat. No hat! :eek: I looked all over the inside of the car---no hat. Then I realized that I had not taken the hat off the top of the car! It was probably long gone! :cry: My poor Dobbs was probably on the head of some hobo who found it. :cry:
Well, on the way home I looked to see if the hat just might be around somewhere. Fromt he freeway to my house I checked. Nothing. :kick:
I arrived at the house and still couldn't let it go. I decided to take a ride around the neighborhood on my bicycle and check better---maybe I missed something. Four houses down from me I found the hat---not on the ground. :p
It was on the fender of my neighbor's car perched like a bird. The brim was over the edge of the fender and the hat didn't have a speck of dust on it. :cool2: It seems the hat flew off the roof of my car and landed ont he rear fender of the other car! I am glad he didn't take off in that car. :) Lord knows where it would have landed then! I went back home--hat in hand. :p
So ends the story of the flying hat. ;)

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
What a curious story. Perhaps it flew from one car to another. Or perhaps it fell in the street, someone came along and saw it and put it on the fender of the car closest to where it fell.

Anyway, glad to know your Dobbs did not get smashed in the street or stolen by some hobo. Or coveted by someone who knew what they were looking at.

It is far more romantic to think your hat flew off and draped itself over the fender of a car four houses down. Sone of those hats have nine lives, evidently.

I did that once -- not with a hat but with one of those Big Gulp iced teas you buy at fast food places. I took off from the parking lot, drove about 20 feet and heard a "sploosh" in the street. My Big Gulp was a Big Glop....

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
What a curious story. Perhaps it flew from one car to another. Or perhaps it fell in the street, someone came along and saw it and put it on the fender of the car closest to where it fell.

You know, I thought about that for a minute when I found it sitting there looking at me---as it were. ;) I mean imagine riding by and it just sitting there--tada sort of eye to eye. :p
I discounted the fact that it could have been picked up because there was not a scuff or mark on it--I know I had just cleaned it. ;) I suppose some of the older hat appreciating sorts in the neighborhood could have picked it up and brushed it off but boy they did a really good job if they did! I am going to have to bring a few of my hats that need brushing over to them. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Merlin

Familiar Face
K.D. Lightner said:
I did that once -- not with a hat but with one of those Big Gulp iced teas you buy at fast food places. I took off from the parking lot, drove about 20 feet and heard a "sploosh" in the street. My Big Gulp was a Big Glop....

karol

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's done something like that. . . 7am, travel mug full of coffee, put it on the roof to unlock the car. . . got to the office and realized that I didn't have my coffee.

But, unlike K.D., my mug, thanks to its rubberized base, was still on the roof when I got to work.

Coffee was kinda cold, though. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy