Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Funghi

mauriciogray

New in Town
Today, when I walked in the Abasto I found this piece.
Abasto is the Carlos Gardel district. Gardel was the most important tango singer in the history.

The hatter was a house called Real. They made their own felt... a very good felt... impressive. The seller was a house in the district too but doesn’t exist anymore (Real doesn’t exist too).
Whit the information I have from that district the hat is maybe from 20s to 40s...
The hat in Argentina was called Funghi. The funghi name was invented by Massera Hatters, they had a model called the funghi very popular in the 20s and 30s. Lately other hatters has made models like this.

The only problem was that hat is 5 and I am 6 ¬? or 60.:rage:

funghi.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's a truly grand hat - you can see the softness of the felt. I especially like the leather color. Thanks for helping us learn about this hat maker!

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
That's a very nice looking hat, Mauriciogray. It is good to know what kinds of hats are available in your country. Thanks for posting the pictures. I wish it had been your size.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I'd like to know if there are any hat makers left there besides Lagomarsino in Argentina . When I was there a few years ago , I was told that therewere a few hat makers left .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

mauriciogray

New in Town
In the Argentina golden years, the argentinian hatters competed with the europeans. So many hatters close in bankruptcy later in 60s. The suvivors made hats in a small production. For example: Ortodox jewish hat, Outback hat in leather or gauchos. Other hatters made props hats, for tango dancers, television, movies. I think the best hat you can get here is from Antiques or driving to crazy the hatter whit specifications...:p I am triyng the last with a tango hat...

The avatar was taked by my sister. She is the best photographer I know... but she is little bit lazy.

Soon I’ll show others hat from my collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97