Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The future of style.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
It does seem to me that decades are remembered for their most exposed fashions. The '70s having many movies depicting those bright clothes and big hair, and the '50s showing much more subdued and conservative dress most of the time, and so on and so forth.

And jsut think of the historical perspective.
`56 Elvis in a baggy suit, loud shirt & ducktail is remarkably conservative by our standards. Those sideburns were practically gangsta rap in that period.
Then you look at loud 70s fashions and jsut remember, even the BradyBunch & Partridge family was wearing that stuff.

And as for the `70s, just remember one of the most iconic items of clothing for that time would be...the SaturdayNightFever white suit.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/fashion/26Galactic.html
Designers are visiting 'Tomorrowland'
26galactic.2-650.jpg

The impulse to explore an imaginary future is born partly of necessity. “Designers are feeling pressure to simplify, to idealize — to create some sort of fashion manifesto in response to a failing economy,” said Andrew Bolton, a curator at the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In purely practical terms, he said, that translates to “a vocabulary of hard tailoring, streamlining and very short skirts — all the things associated with space-age science fiction.”

26galactic.1-650.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To me, style is wearing something, or things, that other people don’t wear, that you think you look good in, and the feeling is backed up when you walk into place and you get genuine, non-verbal positive reactions from at least some of the people there, preferably from the opposite sex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran