Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ghost and the Darkness

Speedbird

A-List Customer
So, I just watched the above titled film on BBC1. A Val Kilmer/Michael Douglas vehicle. The screen notes say it was based on a true story, anyone point me in the direction of the original story it was based on?

What did you make of the clothes and hats? Not so much Michael Douglas' wild mountain man 'eat yer your young fer breakfast' character but the Val Kilmer and the railway boss' characters?

Feraud

Bartender
The film was based on a book called The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by Lt. Col. Patternson. I believe one of the lions killed is located at the Field Museum in Chicago.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
And back on topic, I liked the costuming myself. Patterson was attired as the professional military man he was and I really liked the suit and hat of the "gent" from the British East Africa Company, even though they made his character a blowhard who was impossible to like.

Speedbird said:
The screen notes say it was based on a true story, anyone point me in the direction of the original story it was based on?
Here is a somewhat brief Wikipedia entry on the phenomenon. The film isn't factually accurate, but it's a good story regardless.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Ahhh...The Ghost and The Darkness. This is one of my favorite movies, and based on the true life experiences of Patterson during the construction of the Tsavo bridge along the Lunatic Express line. There has been a lot of debate as to exactly how many people the lions actually killed, but there is no question about the Michael Douglas character being totally fictitious. You'll notice since Douglas was the executive producer, he just had to make up a character for himself and insert his name into the credits as "lead" actor. But this is somewhat beside the point of this thread. The costumes are amazing. I cannot vouch for the period accuracy of the clothing/gear, but perhaps BellyTank, Mojave Jack, Nick Charles, or others can provide more insight on this. I noticed that Remington does wear American Civil War cavalry boots which are consistent with the timeline and storyline. I searched long and hard but finally found a pair of russet riding boots (in my size) like Patterson wears. As for the rest of the Patterson kit, the hat is very similar to the Akubra military slouch hat with some modifications. The leather Sam Browne belt and accoutrements can be purchased online from WPG for a reasonable cost. There are quite a number of us on The Fedora Lounge that wear the British Colonial/East Africa look on a near-daily basis. We have posted mostly in the old (and overly large) Adventurers Gear Thread. I, for one, need to post some updated photos of my gear & clothing inspired by this time period (and movies like Ghost & Darkness, Out of Africa, etc.). This will be a great thread to do that and I'll try to get updates by this weekend.

Mike K.

One Too Many
cap029.jpg

cap030.jpg

cap038.jpg

cap032-1.jpg

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
The film was based on a book called The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by Lt. Col. Patternson. I believe one of the lions killed is located at the Field Museum in Chicago.

thanks Mr Feraud ... you are a gentleman and a scholar, sir! I will see if I can find the book on Amazon. Thank you.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
rmrdaddy said:
And back on topic, I liked the costuming myself. Patterson was attired as the professional military man he was and I really liked the suit and hat of the "gent" from the British East Africa Company, even though they made his character a blowhard who was impossible to like.

Interesting, if a little sad not to mention wierd, about the lions being stuffed and in the Field Museum. It would be spooky to come face to face with them!

This is :eek:fftopic: but is there a reason why Chicago and "Field" seem to go together like ham and eggs? I really like Chicago, having visited once in 2001. I am a Brit so forgive me if the answer is obvious - but I am thinking Wrigley Field, Soldier Field (is that correct? for the Chicago Bears stadium?) and Field Museum. What is it with "Field"?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Zombie_61 said:
Here is a somewhat brief Wikipedia entry on the phenomenon. The film isn't factually accurate, but it's a good story regardless.

Thanks Zombie, I enjoyed the film as a good story. It was a good watch. I do tend to like Val Kilmer movies though - even though he always seems to be Val Kilmer in any role he plays! :) I loved his 'Doc' in 'Tombstone'. I hope that isn't too wrong of me! :eek:

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Ahhh...The Ghost and The Darkness. This is one of my favorite movies, and based on the true life experiences of Patterson during the construction of the Tsavo bridge along the Lunatic Express line. There has been a lot of debate as to exactly how many people the lions actually killed, but there is no question about the Michael Douglas character being totally fictitious. You'll notice since Douglas was the executive producer, he just had to make up a character for himself and insert his name into the credits as "lead" actor. But this is somewhat beside the point of this thread. The costumes are amazing. I cannot vouch for the period accuracy of the clothing/gear, but perhaps BellyTank, Mojave Jack, Nick Charles, or others can provide more insight on this. I noticed that Remington does wear American Civil War cavalry boots which are consistent with the timeline and storyline. I searched long and hard but finally found a pair of russet riding boots (in my size) like Patterson wears. As for the rest of the Patterson kit, the hat is very similar to the Akubra military slouch hat with some modifications. The leather Sam Browne belt and accoutrements can be purchased online from WPG for a reasonable cost. There are quite a number of us on The Fedora Lounge that wear the British Colonial/East Africa look on a near-daily basis. We have posted mostly in the old (and overly large) Adventurers Gear Thread. I, for one, need to post some updated photos of my gear & clothing inspired by this time period (and movies like Ghost & Darkness, Out of Africa, etc.). This will be a great thread to do that and I'll try to get updates by this weekend.

Ah Mike K. - you are one of my Fedora Lounge heroes - I first found my way in here via the Adventure Gear thread. You have one of those 'Boys Own Adventure' jobs I dreamt of as a kid. You and Baggers and Mojave Jack amongst others including BT have convinced me that my colonial adventurist desires and taste in clothing isn't quite as wierd as I thought before finding FL.

I enjoyed the movie and liked what I think was a fairly accurate rendition in costuming (with the proviso I mentioned in my first post - I liked Remmington but firmly concluded the character was a war-ry old salt with lots of artistic license - he had a couple of memorable lines though!). It's a DVD I would add to my collection to watch again whenever I chose.

You really should post some more 'Africa' inspired photos soon.

Speedy

PS: I might yet be another new member of your Akubra Riverine conversion inspired gang - I did have a Christy safari/slouch hat years ago which I lent someone to go to Kenya with - and never saw again! I have been mulling over a safari conversion of a western Lite Felt I have (posted in the Hats "ask a question, get an answer" thread but the consensus is I would be better off just getting a new safari hat!

anon`

One Too Many
I love this film! Not caring how period-accurate it is, it ranks right alongside Quigley Down Under and, perhaps oddly, Breaker Morant as those films that keep the adventurous side of me engaged. But here in Oregon there is little scope to live that life :(

But it's a fun film nevertheless, even if they did take a lot of liberties with it.

Speedbird said:
This is :eek:fftopic: but is there a reason why Chicago and "Field" seem to go together like ham and eggs? I really like Chicago, having visited once in 2001. I am a Brit so forgive me if the answer is obvious - but I am thinking Wrigley Field, Soldier Field (is that correct? for the Chicago Bears stadium?) and Field Museum. What is it with "Field"?
No, not really. Virtually every baseball diamond and football field in America is named "[something] Field". Sometimes it's the entire stadium, inclusive of the playing surface (as is common at the professional level), whereas other times it's just the playing surface by iteslef (common in collegiate sports). That Chicago also happens to have a Field Museum of Natural History is, I think, little more than coincidence.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Thanks Anon!

On the same trip I visited Chicago I travelled through Oregon as well ... so far, it is my favourite State! I spent time in Portland and Salem and visited Pendleton, Joseph in the Wallowas and the Silver Falls. I think the Eagle Cap Wilderness is very adventuresome! IF I had the chance to move to the USA, I think Oregon would be high on my list of preferred destinations.

I would really like to get a job in a community college in the NW now I am thinking about it again!!!

anon` said:
That Chicago also happens to have a Field Museum of Natural History is, I think, little more than coincidence.
IIRC, Field Museum of Science & Industry was named after the guy who made the biggest donation to pay for it.

Speedbird, actually Kilmer has shown some differences in his roles--there's no confusing "Iceman" from Top Gun for Kilmer's Doc (actually had trouble believing it was the same actor at first), and the latter was actually pretty close to the profile I've worked up on the historical Holliday--a guy who may have played for both sides of the law (which he did at various times), but was always trying to look out for those he considered "his own".

anon`

One Too Many
Speedbird said:
Thanks Anon!

On the same trip I visited Chicago I travelled through Oregon as well ... so far, it is my favourite State! I spent time in Portland and Salem and visited Pendleton, Joseph in the Wallowas and the Silver Falls. I think the Eagle Cap Wilderness is very adventuresome! IF I had the chance to move to the USA, I think Oregon would be high on my list of preferred destinations.

I would really like to get a job in a community college in the NW now I am thinking about it again!!!
As a born-and-raised Oregonian, I'm so very glad to hear that! Aside from the rather petty and asinine public "servants" we usually have to deal with here, there's not a lot not to like (plus, here you can watch my alma mater play football in the autumn on Parker Field at Reser Stadium, basketball in the winter on Ralph Miller Court in Gill Coliseum, and baseball in the spring at Goss Stadium on Coleman Field) ;)

I suppose the east side isn't all that inimical to a bit of the safari lifestyle, come to think of it. Just not all that much in the way of grassy savannas.

Diamondback said:
IIRC, Field Museum of Science & Industry was named after the guy who made the biggest donation to pay for it.
That's usually how it works.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Speedbird said:
You really should post some more 'Africa' inspired photos soon.
Just spent the day with a good friend enjoying some roast Nilgai while lounging in the trophy room & planning a trip for later this year :D. I'll get some of the Africa-inspired clothing & gear pics, hopefully by this weekend. The actual Africa pics (with clothing/gear) will have to wait several months.

Speedbird said:
I might yet be another new member of your Akubra Riverine conversion inspired gang
I cannot seem to locate anymore Riverina hats except for one source which is rather pricey (but it's a hat, who cares!). The Riverina is a great hat but I just did another safari conversion, with a little help from Art Fawcett, that beats the Riverina hands down. Pics of those will also be coming soon. ;)

Speedbird said:
Thanks Zombie, I enjoyed the film as a good story. It was a good watch. I do tend to like Val Kilmer movies though - even though he always seems to be Val Kilmer in any role he plays! :) I loved his 'Doc' in 'Tombstone'. I hope that isn't too wrong of me! :eek:
Diamondback said:
Speedbird, actually Kilmer has shown some differences in his roles--there's no confusing "Iceman" from Top Gun for Kilmer's Doc (actually had trouble believing it was the same actor at first), and the latter was actually pretty close to the profile I've worked up on the historical Holliday--a guy who may have played for both sides of the law (which he did at various times), but was always trying to look out for those he considered "his own".
The differences in most of Kilmer's performances are very subtle, which I think is why most people tend to think he's just "being Val Kilmer". The two standout performances IMO are both based on real-life "historical" figures: John Henry "Doc" Holliday in Tombstone and Jim Morrison in The Doors. I worked as an extra for two days on The Doors and Kilmer stayed in character the entire time he was onstage, even when conferring with director Oliver Stone and/or first assistant director Joseph Reidy between takes. And on two occasions he led the "audience" (i.e., us lowly extras) in a "sing-along", as Morrison, when the crew needed extra time to set up technically difficult shots. He may have a reputation in the industry for being "difficult", but what I saw on those two days was a tireless professional who was willing to do whatever it took to get it right.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
I think VK is a very good actor indeed.... I think that is partly why I said he always seems to be Val Kilmer in all he does - he just as such a distinctive style he is always instantly recognisable - he seems to convey so much with a slight curl of the lip and nostril twitch .... a bit like Al Pacino and his eyes .... no one would ever say Al Pacino is anything other than top notch but he is always Al Pacino!

I like the scene when the company man his threatening to fire Patterson ... company man rather beautifully dressed and Patterson in his bush outfit ... VK just kind of wriggles his nose with the slightest hint of disdain .... and the viewer just knows that the railway man will get on the train back to the comfort of a colonial hotel with servants and Patterson will carry on building the bridge regardless.

The Sam Browne - I can't remember now (already!), was it a cross-over single brace type or the double-braced type (Boer War, Sudan etc style) Doh! see screen grabs above!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:

Ah ha! I think that was what I was getting at - who was Mr Field? I think the Soldier Field and Wrigley Field is just because they are sports fields ... nothing complicated there, but yes - who was the benefactor of the museum? I suppose I can find out easily enough.

I do seriously like Kilmer's Doc Holliday and thought it was well studied. One of the more memorable movie characters/portrayals in the last 20 years in my mind. But I was always fascinated by Doc Holliday anyway.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Speedbird said:

We play the field here. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner