Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Compass

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm putting a promotional window in for this at Gap Kids and Baby on the 20th. Kids between 7 and 13 can win a part in the next film! :rolleyes: Pretty darn cool looking window though.

I am excited to see this, and I haven't even read the books lol

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
A friend sent me this link regarding this movie.
Apparently, the books are written by an atheist who admitted
his intent with his books was to "kill God" ~
The books are suppose to have anti-religious themes and
if you go to this snopes page it will give the full detail of the claim
and it's origins. It states that the claim in true.

I tell you after I read this, it made me think twice about
wanting to see it. I had initially saw the film trailer & had
thought what a great film. I still would watch it if it came
on cable, just to see what the premise is & where the anti-religous
themes come in. However, I will not pay money to see it.
I don't care to fund this man's goals. It's one thing when someone
doesn't believe in organized religion...fine with me. But, it's
another thing when someone says they want to 'kill God' ~
Those intentions are just to harsh for me.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
jazzzbaby, I could not agree more

jazzzbaby said:
A friend sent me this link regarding this movie.
Apparently, the books are written by an atheist who admitted
his intent with his books was to "kill God" ~
The books are suppose to have anti-religious themes and
if you go to this snopes page it will give the full detail of the claim
and it's origins. It states that the claim in true.

I tell you after I read this, it made me think twice about
wanting to see it. I had initially saw the film trailer & had
thought what a great film. I still would watch it if it came
on cable, just to see what the premise is & where the anti-religous
themes come in. However, I will not pay money to see it.
I don't care to fund this man's goals. It's one thing when someone
doesn't believe in organized religion...fine with me. But, it's
another thing when someone says they want to 'kill God' ~
Those intentions are just to harsh for me.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I for one am sick and tired of movies that are made to secretly push an agenda or belief. I thought the M. Moore films were a travesty and down right dishonest and it seems to go on and on. Awards given to politicians for films loaded with unsubstantiated claims are in this same category. Now we have this slick packaged movie to further yet another's personnel agenda. It is about time people call these things for what they are and not blindly accept the lies.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
thing is people have to remember that not every one on the planet is catholic. their are several people i know that refused to see the narnia movie or read the books because it was so tied to christianity. there are so many people saying that movies and books like this have some hidden agenda or are evil (hmmm seem to remember the same stuff over harry potter?), purely because they are not their own beliefs.

personally i enjoyed the narnia movie and the books. am i christian? nope i'm not. i spent 5 years in a catholic school and asked tons of questions and learned quite a bit about the history of the church and their beliefs. will i go see this movie, yep i will. do i respect christians beliefs? yep i do, just as i would respect anyones beliefs. i don't read books and see movies like this to pull out some religious or belief system, i watch them for entertainment. people have a tendency to write about things that they know because lets face it a lot of times when you have someone trying to write about something they don't really know much about it doesn't get written well. its kinda like someone that has never used a computer trying to write a techno thriller, it just doesn't work. this man is an atheist so that is how he writes it is what he knows so his beliefs come out in his writing.

anyway i didn't post this to ruffle any feathers or anything like that, i just for once would like people to open their eyes and minds a little and enjoy the entertainment instead of looking the hidden agenda.

cowboy76

Suspended
rebelgtp said:
thing is people have to remember that not every one on the planet is catholic. their are several people i know that refused to see the narnia movie or read the books because it was so tied to christianity. there are so many people saying that movies and books like this have some hidden agenda or are evil (hmmm seem to remember the same stuff over harry potter?), purely because they are not their own beliefs.

personally i enjoyed the narnia movie and the books. am i christian? nope i'm not. i spent 5 years in a catholic school and asked tons of questions and learned quite a bit about the history of the church and their beliefs. will i go see this movie, yep i will. do i respect christians beliefs? yep i do, just as i would respect anyones beliefs. i don't read books and see movies like this to pull out some religious or belief system, i watch them for entertainment. people have a tendency to write about things that they know because lets face it a lot of times when you have someone trying to write about something they don't really know much about it doesn't get written well. its kinda like someone that has never used a computer trying to write a techno thriller, it just doesn't work. this man is an atheist so that is how he writes it is what he knows so his beliefs come out in his writing.

anyway i didn't post this to ruffle any feathers or anything like that, i just for once would like people to open their eyes and minds a little and enjoy the entertainment instead of looking the hidden agenda.

First, not every Christian is "Catholic". Let us get that straight right away.

Catholic is nothing more than a "denomination",...and fact is early on, in Bible days there were NO denominations to be found.

Denominations are a man's self made brick. Pile those bricks with the mortar of selfessness and man-made rules and man-made traditions and you have now built a wall.

....but a wall encircling whom?
...a wall separating whom to what?
Humanity from God.

Second, I fully understand why people so oftentimes get completely turned off and disgusted by any form of Christianity,.....been there, done that. Still disgusted by many (not all).

Lastly, the point that is being made and should certainly be recongnized and realized is that there should NOT be any hidden agenda to a movie, book or otherwise. This is what is bringing down the great nation of America and continues to do so. A movie is a movie, want to stand on your soapbox,..fine, you have that right as an American and as a human being,..BUT, do NOT take my money and mislead me so as to quench your appretite for greed and ignorance! That my friend is wrong!!!

I have a traditionalist mindset,..this is why I love the vintage glden era lifestyle. I also was taught by my folks to have an open mind,...something the author of this book-turned movie shows us he does NOT have,...nor does he (as you actually DO) have any respect for other people's beliefs.

I find it utterly comical that in a world that so often preaches tolerance, there are those that will condone a blatant attack on the religion of Christianity,...so much for so-called "tolerance!" Ah the wonderment of contradiction!

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
cowboy76 said:
I find it utterly comical that in a world that so often preaches tolerance, there are those that will condone a blatant attack on the religion of Christianity,...so much for so-called "tolerance!" Ah the wonderment of contradiction!

first i'm well aware that not all christians are catholics.

secondly the quote above really can apply to any and all religions. just about anywhere that you go you will see one group or another attacking some other group because their beliefs differ. personally i believe that the world should be more tolerant with different beliefs that people have. there is no one great unifying truth out their for everyone. all people have to find their own truth and their own beliefs. for some its an organized religion like christianity, others it maybe just their own beliefs and values that guide their lives.

i have friends that range from a christian minister to pagans and dare i say it even an atheist or two. funny thing is any and all of them can sit down at a table talk and get along just fine. they may not agree on everything but they get along and respect each other. everyone of them has been attacked in some form or another because of their beliefs. thing is everyone is discriminated against in some form, be it religion, nationality, how they dress, what kind of shape they are in, how much money they have, what kind of car they drive, how far they got in school, anything can be a source of discrimination. the thing is that just about every movie or book out there could be taken as offensive to someone somewhere. they aren't meant as an attack by the creator, but some people may see it that way.

i'm sure that just about every person that is reading this forum right now has said something or has some belief that is offensive to someone else. like i have said everyone is different. its kinda like something i just heard on a old home improvement episode. one man calls himself a christian, spends his spare time following his interests and goes to church every sunday. another man does not call himself a christian and spends his spare time helping others and does not go to church. they both follow their own beliefs and spend their time they way they think they should.

again i'm not trying to attack anyone, i just wish that people would take more understanding of others beliefs (even those that go against your own). now come on and lets turn the conversation in here around.

i think this looks like it could be a good movie, i'm not a big nicole kidman fan so i'm not sure how i will like her part in the movie. as for the original posters comment about it seems to have a bit of a steampunk vibe to it from what i have seen i have to agree. i've always liked that look but didn't know it had a specific name until i read about it here. i'm hoping that they play it in one of the theaters near me but i'm sure i'll be driving a bit after its out and will get a chance to catch it. i also really like the whole people working with animal companions aspect, kinda goes since i work with animals and have always had a close relationship with animals.

can't we all just get along? :D

Marty M.

Vendor
You made the list.

Bud-n-Texas said:
I for one am sick and tired of movies that are made to secretly push an agenda or belief. I thought the M. Moore films were a travesty and down right dishonest and it seems to go on and on. Awards given to politicians for films loaded with unsubstantiated claims are in this same category. Now we have this slick packaged movie to further yet another's personnel agenda. It is about time people call these things for what they are and not blindly accept the lies.

Ok Bud n Texas, You made my personal list of guy's that I'd have a beer with (and I don't drink). I couldn't agree with you more. Cheers pal.
Marty Mathis

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had been intrigued by the trailer, too, but then I heard about the message behind the books. I'm generally not one to buy into such conspiracy theories, but if you check out the page on snopes.com (my source for myth debunking) it pretty much confirms the author's intent. I saw the author on the Today show a few days ago. Al Roker asked him the question about the atheism message directly. The author dodged the question and gave the 'I prefer to let the reader decide'. Yeah, right. His evasiveness confirmed it. I won't be seeing it.

cowboy76

Suspended
rebelgtp said:
first i'm well aware that not all christians are catholics.

secondly the quote above really can apply to any and all religions. just about anywhere that you go you will see one group or another attacking some other group because their beliefs differ. personally i believe that the world should be more tolerant with different beliefs that people have. there is no one great unifying truth out their for everyone. all people have to find their own truth and their own beliefs. for some its an organized religion like christianity, others it maybe just their own beliefs and values that guide their lives.

i have friends that range from a christian minister to pagans and dare i say it even an atheist or two. funny thing is any and all of them can sit down at a table talk and get along just fine. they may not agree on everything but they get along and respect each other. everyone of them has been attacked in some form or another because of their beliefs. thing is everyone is discriminated against in some form, be it religion, nationality, how they dress, what kind of shape they are in, how much money they have, what kind of car they drive, how far they got in school, anything can be a source of discrimination. the thing is that just about every movie or book out there could be taken as offensive to someone somewhere. they aren't meant as an attack by the creator, but some people may see it that way.

i'm sure that just about every person that is reading this forum right now has said something or has some belief that is offensive to someone else. like i have said everyone is different. its kinda like something i just heard on a old home improvement episode. one man calls himself a christian, spends his spare time following his interests and goes to church every sunday. another man does not call himself a christian and spends his spare time helping others and does not go to church. they both follow their own beliefs and spend their time they way they think they should.

again i'm not trying to attack anyone, i just wish that people would take more understanding of others beliefs (even those that go against your own). now come on and lets turn the conversation in here around.

i think this looks like it could be a good movie, i'm not a big nicole kidman fan so i'm not sure how i will like her part in the movie. as for the original posters comment about it seems to have a bit of a steampunk vibe to it from what i have seen i have to agree. i've always liked that look but didn't know it had a specific name until i read about it here. i'm hoping that they play it in one of the theaters near me but i'm sure i'll be driving a bit after its out and will get a chance to catch it. i also really like the whole people working with animal companions aspect, kinda goes since i work with animals and have always had a close relationship with animals.

can't we all just get along? :D

Oh I get along fine with many other people of variuos background,..just as you do.

The point I was trying to make was simply that others should not push their beliefs onto others, no matter who they are....this movie is a key point to that fact. its a hidden agenda,....and no one needs that.

""all people have to find their own truth and their own beliefs."
Life without absolutes,...that my friend leads to Anarchy. There are absolutes that go straight across the board,..right and wrongs. You cannot say do what you feel is right, and go about your way. Last night a guy stabbed a young girl in a bathroom because he felt is was right and was the backlash of the girl not taking his advances. Murders and rapes happen and those who commit them often feel its fine,....so you cannot just do what you feel.

Take a look at the demise of America from the 1930s till today. Look at the trends that we are facing. Kids as young as 10-13 yrs of age getting pregnant, screwing in the bathroom at school. Girls dressing like little hookers because a toy shows it or Christina Agulera dresses this way. 50-60 years ago you wouldnt have had it,...there were lines drawn to keep things morally straight. Now we have a decline in morality,...which leads to mayhem,....its all around you. Yes, I do believe in one truth, that can and does unify people. I was not always a Christian,....but what I've seen change the life of people is not "do what you feel is good",....its a higher power much more than ourselves.

I think you are definitely one good guy,...I think we feel the same about a lot of things and would get along just fine as I do with others with different opinions, etc.

Bottom line,...if you dont mind people shoving their hidden agendas down your throat while you pay them to do so,..go see the Golden Compass. IF you are a free man or woman not bound by today's standards,....go see an old movie at an old movie theater from a time that every other movie didnt have a hidden agenda and the news wasn't always cluttered with negative news and banter.

I pledge alligience to the America of the past,.....the way it was meant to be!!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Tip of the hat to ya Marty, I enjoy conversations with thinkers and abhor the sheep like mentality that runs so rampant in this politically correct society we are living in. I like Alan use snopes as a starting point to validate or debunk much of what I see and or hear. We have become a society that will believe anything if we hear it enough times. People like this Phillip Pullman bank on this sheep mentality. There are so many thing of value to entertain me, and countless things to be learned, why clutter my life with garbage such as this film and call it entertainment.

ShortClara

One Too Many
cowboy76 said:
Lastly, the point that is being made and should certainly be recongnized and realized is that there should NOT be any hidden agenda to a movie, book or otherwise. This is what is bringing down the great nation of America and continues to do so. A movie is a movie, want to stand on your soapbox,..fine, you have that right as an American and as a human being,..BUT, do NOT take my money and mislead me so as to quench your appretite for greed and ignorance! That my friend is wrong!!!

An artist in the United States has the right to make whatever they want, with any message or intent they want, hidden or no. Apparently, it's not very hidden as we're all talking about it. I mean, are we talking subliminal brainwashing messages, or just a deep concept which can possibly sway thoughts and opinions? Anything subliminal I would feel iffy about, but I don't see how The Golden Compass is misleading anyone, as a basic examination of the movie/ book has yielded information which has caused you to not want to go see it. You have not been misled - in fact, you are now educated on the subject and have made an informed decision. I think that's good. You have the right to buy a ticket or not. The author/ filmmaker cannot "take your money" by force, unless he hits you on the head and steals your wallet.

I'm not going to be on one side or another on this hot topic, but I hate to see artistic freedom bashed.

And FYI - I have not read The Golden Compass and do not hold any opinion about it whatsoever.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
cowboy76 said:
Bottom line,...if you dont mind people shoving their hidden agendas down your throat while you pay them to do so,..go see the Golden Compass. IF you are a free man or woman not bound by today's standards,....go see an old movie at an old movie theater from a time that every other movie didnt have a hidden agenda and the news wasn't always cluttered with negative news and banter.

What nonsense. I'm going to go and see it because I enjoyed the book very much. I hate frozen-face Kidman too, but armour-plated bears + shape-shifting daemon-creatures + parallel universes + steampunk = a few quid well spent in my opinion. I couldn't really care less about the atheism vs christianity aspect. How is it any different from watching the Narnia film?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
cowboy76 said:
IF you are a free man or woman not bound by today's standards,....go see an old movie at an old movie theater from a time that every other movie didnt have a hidden agenda and the news wasn't always cluttered with negative news and banter.

There are -plenty- of old movies that have agendas...filmmaking has always had that element to it.

Best Years of Our Lives had an agenda. Scarface (the original) had an agenda.As early as 1937 Warner Brothers cartoons began poking fun at Hitler with goose-stepping characters

Just because you -approve- of those agendas and not of this one...does not make old films -agenda free-

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
What nonsense. I'm going to go and see it because I enjoyed the book very much. I hate frozen-face Kidman too, but armour-plated bears + shape-shifting daemon-creatures + parallel universes + steampunk = a few quid well spent in my opinion. I couldn't really care less about the atheism vs christianity aspect. How is it any different from watching the Narnia film?

oh yeah i forgot about the armor wearing polar bears! in one of the trailiers it shows the bear charging head on with some other armor plated critter. oh and perfect description of kidman lol ....however it did work in stepford wives when she was supposed to be brainwashed.

oh and it looks like the golden compass will be playing at the theater closest to me! sweet only an hours drive to go see a movie! its the eltrym in baker city, a 1940's theater in the historic district of town. http://www.eltrym.com/

Story

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
MAN you guys can derail a train fast.

Ain't they somethin' else? Popcorn?
lurk.gif

Irony of ironies, a (free) proof copy of the novel fell into my lap today.

As for not paying to see a movie that puts profits in the pocket of someone you disagree with, there's always the Abbie Hoffman-style solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy