Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'Golden Years' of Hat Quality & Style

Golden Years of Hat Making

• 1800s - 1900s

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 1900s - 1920s

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • 1920s - 1930s

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • 1930s - 1940s

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • 1940s - 1950s

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • 1950s - 1960s

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 1960s - 1970s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1970s - 1980s

• 1980s - 1990s

• 1990s - Present

• Total voters

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
This should be helpful for both new & old members in guaging which era seemed to carry the best made hats.

Please post what timeframe(s) you selected, and your reasons as to why.

Also, the poll is Multiple Choice!

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
For me, I feel any hat made from the 1800s - late 1950s was of quality. After that, it seems a decline in quality hit the market. Newer hats just don't feel the same as the older hats to me.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I voted for the 1940s and 1950s because I like the typical styles of hats made and worn then, the most. I also like both the earlier '20s and '30s designs, and the later designs of the '60s. There are some good hats made today, as well. My favorite modern hat style is Akubra's Federation IV, and I own two of those, a brown and a tan one.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Bumping this thread!

This is a poll that crosses most of the hat years! Don't be shy, folks! Lets use this to help the newer members pick what seems to be the best in the quality of the era! Don't forget, the poll is multiple choice!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The sticking point for me is that I haven't handled enough hats to make anything close to an objective statement, and I would argue that's probably the case for most people whose SN isn't RLK.

Also, are we including or omitting custom hats? My VS and Optimo are nicer than some of my vintage hats, but I have 60's hats that are better than a modern Akubra or Stetson.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, that being the case I think I just have to fundamentally disagree that such a consensus can be reached on quality. Style is also fundamentally subjective.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The sticking point for me is that I haven't handled enough hats to make anything close to an objective statement, and I would argue that's probably the case for most people whose SN isn't RLK.

Also, are we including or omitting custom hats? My VS and Optimo are nicer than some of my vintage hats, but I have 60's hats that are better than a modern Akubra or Stetson.

I would agree with your comments. Top modern Customs exceed the general felt quality of most vintage periods--but I would not generalize that most hats of the present time are of great quality or style--thats my take on choosing particular era(s). At least the style part, although necessarily subjective, can be chosen without hands on experience.

My decision (late 1800s to 1940) was based on a combination of factors. Doesn't mean some of my favorite hats aren't from the 40s and later. I am focused on vintage.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Screen+Shot+2013-08-12+at+7.59.46+PM.png

European examples
http://www.mestoklobouku.cz/en/history-of-hats/

http://forezhistoire.free.fr/chazelles-et-ses-chapeaux.html

Christy's 1773, Mayser 1800, Wegener 1816, Henry Heath 1822, Mallory 1823, Mossant 1833, Knox 1838, Borsalino 1857, Crofut & Knapp 1858, Flechet 1859, Barbisio 1862, Stetson 1865, ...
In the 19th Century some of the largest factories made hats.

Last edited:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Bringing back one of Justin’s conversations that I thought was cool.

I have two opinions. I would place the Golden age for Stetson western hats as the 20s-30s. There were lots of models and high quality felts. Just the Boss Raw Edge, Nutría Quality, and numerous No 1 Quality models are wonderful.

On the fedora side I vote for the 40s. The various models and types available make that era just that more fun to collect. Sure, a 20s 3X is amazing, but you can only have so much fun with black homburgs. The various pre-plastic Royals and Royal Stetson DeLuxe hats have really won me over.

Any other opinions?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I voted wrong. I voted for the styles I like the most. Joe Friday in dragnet went on the air in 1951. My first Art Fawcett was an inspiration. Stetson playboy inspired one later. I have no idea about quality of the hats as the only real vintage I have is a Stetson 25 that I haven’t been able to wear as the sweatband fell out if it. But the felt feels fantastic. No idea how old it is either.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner