Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The good ol' summer time

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Can the ladies participate in this thread? I have a couple of new 1940s tilt hats--one for summer, the other for fall. Wanna see?

47b5d920b3127cce92c9057ecf1900000016108AatmbRq2ctP

47b5d920b3127cce92c9057f4e2800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

How I wish more men wore hats (and suits!) in my town! Everyone on this board is so amazingly stylish; I am sad to report that all I see in public are jeans, tees, and baggy shorts worn with sandals. I commend you, boys, for raising the fashion standard back to its rightful place!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
My only summer hat is that white linen newsboy cap you saw me wearing in California, but it goes with quite a few of my outfits so that isn't too bad.

Once Art gets up and running again I am going to have a nice panama blocked by him to add to the summer hat rack.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I just ordered a cream newsie cap from B!Wear (#15) and I van't wait to get it. I also almost ordered a seersucker blazer from the J Peterman catalogue (they're having a sale in case anybody i interested) but I can't justify spending the money. I just don't think I'd get the mileage out of the blazer, as it's $228 even on sale, and I'd really only wear it a few times this summer. Ah well. I'll make sure to post pics one the cap some in.

dopey

One of the Regulars
A Montecristi from PB

The Montecristi that I got from PB and wrote about when I first joined the forum was ready and I picked it up from the hat shop/blocker yesterday. I hope to take and post some pics of it over the next few days. That, and the cheaper Montecrisiti I got from PB, is likely to be my main summer lid. Since the weather has been threatening rain here a lot the lat few days, I have also been wearing my vintage Resistol Monarch e-bay purchase.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Other Good Old Summertime

In the linked other thread (from '03), that boater you were showing looks nice, Matt. My first thought at the initials stamped in the sweat is that they represent the first two initials of the owner's name, and the owner's full last name, i.e. "M.B. Tuohy." Since the name mathches that on the hat's inside crown label/sweat cap, perhaps it belonged to a member of the family of, or the owner of the business that sold it, Massey-Tuohy.

Whoever owned it, he was certainly clever using it as a spitoon. ;)

Ew.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Summertime is not so different from wintertime in San Diego, just a bit warmer is all. Iowa, when I move there this fall, is another thing altogether.

I have a nice fushia linen cap, a navy blue corduroy cap, and am planning on getting a lighter shade of linen cap -- these are newsboy caps and I wear them in traditional fashion, tipped forward, rakish, off to the side.

I have a panama hat, long brimmed, kind of a summer sun hat, also a straw fedora. I don't spend big money on the Panamas, as I seem to have awful luck with them. Once I move on out of Iowa and have a home in the desert, I do want to get one of Panama Bob's fedoras -- they look divine.

For wet weather, I have a Tilley hemp hat.

And, I do like to wear the felt fedoras year around, especially in the evening.

For western wear, I have a straw "Gus" cowboy hat that I had made for me at the Hat Store in Houston. And I have some cheapie straw cowboy hats that usually meet with disaster in my car or some such place.

karol

Michael D

Familiar Face
I've got a Montecristi that I bought last year from panamahatsdirect.com and had reblocked this year by Art like a Brent Black Aficcionado. I've also got a Beaver Brand 'Outback' style shantung that I've had for 12 years and looks it with all the sweat stains. Plus I've got a Seratelli 'Outback' in shantung that I bought two years ago.

These shantung hats can really take the abuse. They're like helmets all lacquered-up like they are. I've had them out in the pouring rain and the blazing sun and they aren't phased at all.

Mike

dopey

One of the Regulars
Michael D said:
I've got a Montecristi that I bought last year from panamahatsdirect.com and had reblocked this year by Art like a Brent Black Aficcionado.
{snipped}
Mike

Please don’t mention Montecristis blocked by Art. It drives me insane. I really wanted him to do my Panama Bob hat, but he was moving and I missed the boat by a little bit. I have been kicking myself ever since. Ouch!!! I did it again.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
dopey said:
Please don’t mention Montecristis blocked by Art. It drives me insane. I really wanted him to do my Panama Bob hat, but he was moving and I missed the boat by a little bit. I have been kicking myself ever since. Ouch!!! I did it again.

I hear you, dopey, I hear you. I needed to get my Montecristi its annual cleaning and reblock for summer, but couldn't get it done before Art closed for the summer. It's looking a little tired from last year.

Brad

dopey

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Gee, that is a shame. You really missed out on a good season with a nice freshly blocked Montecristi. :p

Regards to all,

J

I have a super-soaker filled with grape jelly with your hat's name on it. :rage: :rage:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh JP, that's such a great looker!

Also, Jitterbugdoll you and all the ladies are welcome in this thread! Post what ever hat you feel is a summer hat! I do have to say, I love the ones you posted! Very 40's and thanks for showing them!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff