Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The good ol' summer time

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Holly -- that's a lovely hat, and in the 40's style that actresses of that era wore (I am thinking mainly of Ingrid).

Wish I felt confident enough to get a good panama/straw. I do have one on the lighter end of the money spectrum, which I got at Village Hat Shop last year. I like to wear it on hikes and walks in the bright sun. I have the natural one, which was the only color I recall seeing last year.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product1167.html

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh Holly, you look sweet! That hat is very nice on you.

A tip in vintage hat wearing, most men and women then cocked their hats to one side. Try wearing it cocked to one side and you'll see what I mean! ;)

Smooth hat for sure Holly!

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Root, when I took it up to Joe Peters Sr. last fall to get a new ribbon on it, he said that the weave would put it at about $300-400. Imagine my shock. I may try to take some photos of it cocked to the side, but when they put the new ribbon on, it made the hat a bit tighter and I'm not sure that I'll be able to comfortably cock it.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Rethinking Summer Hats

Typically I wear a black Panama wide-brimmed fedora I picked up at Baron Hats of California, Burbank. It's the only store I've seen selling them.
But now that I see the '40's ladies tilt hat, hmm...tempting.

Wild Root

Gone Home
ITG said:
I may try to take some photos of it cocked to the side, but when they put the new ribbon on, it made the hat a bit tighter and I'm not sure that I'll be able to comfortably cock it.

Really? Hummmm, that's odd. Maybe have them stretch it just a tad and have it corrected. The ribbon shouldn't make the hat tighter at all. Must be some ribbon eh? :p J/K.

Some times with hats that are a little snug on me, I cock them and it's one of the only ways I could wear a smaller fitting hat. But, that's how I wear all my hats any way. Just doing what comes naturally. ;)

Cheers,

Root.

dopey

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Hahahahhahaha! I didn't mention it I just showed it. There is a difference. ;) Sort of like this:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I am glad you have no idea where I put my hat. :p

JP: The bow on your Panama looks to be not only from a solid Ribbon, but also gray, rather than the striped blue of the main ribbon. Is that correct? How do you like that? I have to say that while I like the block, I don’t think I like the look of the bow very much. I would have preferred a matching blue, but probably a matching bow even more. I think the only variance I like is contrast ribbon for the part that wraps the bow. All that said, I don’ t regret missing out on Art any less.

JeffW

Familiar Face
Here is main summer hat. I also have a straw Dobbs in gray and one in black. This is a Bailey.

summerhat.jpg

dopey said:
JP: The bow on your Panama looks to be not only from a solid Ribbon, but also gray, rather than the striped blue of the main ribbon. Is that correct? How do you like that? I have to say that while I like the block, I don’t think I like the look of the bow very much. I would have preferred a matching blue, but probably a matching bow even more. I think the only variance I like is contrast ribbon for the part that wraps the bow. All that said, I don’ t regret missing out on Art any less.

Actually I love it just as it is. Probably because that is the ribbon and bow treatment that I wanted in the first place. :p The matching stuff doesn't do anything for me. Everyone has that. I wanted it to be different.
That being said, this was a styling trait used by Mallory in the 40s and 50s so it still is int he same vein as vintage. That is where I go the idea to have it doen like that. I suppose there really is nothing new under the sun but most people don't remember back that far. ;)

Regards to all,

J

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Also, Jitterbugdoll you and all the ladies are welcome in this thread! Post what ever hat you feel is a summer hat! I do have to say, I love the ones you posted! Very 40's and thanks for showing them!

That’s good, because I have pics of my latest purchase—and she was definitely made for summer! What do you think?
47b5d932b3127cce92b1768f371c00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b5d932b3127cce92b1768d371e00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b5d932b3127cce92b17689371a00000016108AatmbRq2ctP

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Whoa...that is just freaky.

That manniquin looks exactly like my sister! Her hair is slightly darker but other than that it is spot on! This is just like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine finds the manniquin which looks just like her!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I remember that one! Good show hahaha. Well you know what to do right bud? You need to get your sis on to this vintage stuff! I'm sure she would look real swell in it like most young ladys do.

Doll, that's a great looking hat! That's a late 40's hat I think, am I right?

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Is it just me or did they make some real cool looking mannequin heads back in the 30's and 40's. I have seen lots of them and they all seem different from each other.

You think your pale? HA! I'm as pale as they come!!! :p

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Root-I might date it as early as the mid-40s (and possibly even earlier). It can be hard to tell with clothing, especially hats, as many styles appeared in several eras. But, I've seen pics of similar hats in earlier photos--like this one, from 1944/45. Anyway, I picked this one up because I thought it would fit neatly behind my reversed rolled hairdo!

47b5d932b3127cce92b2cf38968b00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Root-Well, I must warn you that I have won every "I'm paler than you" contest by a landslide! But, the next time I'm in your area I'd be happy to compare notes (say, you did promise me a ride in your vintage car--I'll be sure to take you up on the offer! And hey, if it's after dark you would headlights with me in the car! ;) )

I know--some of those mannequins were downright stunning. They molded most of them, if not all of then, from various models and starlets of the eras. Check out this awesome, drool worthy site:
http://www.decoeyes.com/

I have no real use for a $200 mannequin head (well, it would a great conversation piece), but after seeing this site, how I want one anyway!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Yeah, I remember that one! Good show hahaha. Well you know what to do right bud? You need to get your sis on to this vintage stuff! I'm sure she would look real swell in it like most young ladys do.

Root.

I have tried...believe me I have tried.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have tried...believe me I have tried.

I understand your pain--but your sis might come around on her own accord someday. Why, I was a jeans-wearing wallflower until I was a sophomore in college! But one day, the vintage fashion bug bit--and it bit hard! I spend more money now than I ever did, but at least my habit-forming addiction isn’t truly harmful!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Doll -- Thanks for the website! What intriguing heads -- works of art. Well, if I had the money, I think I could solve the problem of how to display my favorite fedoras....

I want the Greta -- no one looked better in a fedora than she did!

karol

PS That pale manniquin head you displayed looks a bit to me like Nicole Kidman. -- kdl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis