Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Gatsby - Remake in the Works

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I certainly hope you're not referencing Jack White's blisteringly soulful cover Love is Blindness? Every time I listen to it, it sounds like he had decided for this song to bypass the guitar and just plug his heartstrings right into the amp. I can practically hear the tubes screaming for mercy.

"I can practically hear the tubes screaming for mercy."

You say that as if it is a good thing.;)

De gustibus non est disputandum.

I can now well understand the old folks who objected to "Jass" as a cacophonous muddle, wondering why their offspring didn't enjoy Will Oakland's rendition of "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" as they did.

The electric guitar brought about the end of Music, I'm afraid, at least according to my narrow understanding of the term (Music to my narrow understanding being that which has been produced or is rooted in the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music from the 10th century onward.)

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You make an excellent point. I'm certain that the modern underscoring makes the motivations of those guys on the screen in their funny clothes more emotionally resonant to the greater audience.

If popular musical expression had stopped short with Irving Berlin, where would be be today?

MissMittens

One Too Many
I had hoped that some of the "modern" bands involved would be covering period songs at the very least.........apparently he's going for another "Romeo and Juliet" :(

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I had hoped that some of the "modern" bands involved would be covering period songs at the very least.........apparently he's going for another "Romeo and Juliet" :(

That's not so bad!

I dearly love Juliet's Waltz Song.

[video=youtube_share;TAvz2YnwVTY]http://youtu.be/TAvz2YnwVTY[/video]

MissMittens

One Too Many
That's not so bad!

I dearly love Juliet's Waltz Song.

[video=youtube_share;TAvz2YnwVTY]http://youtu.be/TAvz2YnwVTY[/video]

I think we're talking about a different movie entirely. The one by the same director as Gatsby

These were the songs from the soundtrack

The album featured bonus tracks in the 10th Anniversary re-release in 2007.

"#1 Crush" - Garbage – 4:47
"Local God" - Everclear – 3:56
"Angel" - Gavin Friday – 4:19
"Pretty Piece of Flesh" - One Inch Punch – 4:53
"Kissing You (Love Theme from Romeo + Juliet)" - Des'ree – 4:58
"Whatever (I Had a Dream)" - Butthole Surfers – 4:09
"Lovefool" - The Cardigans – 3:19
"Young Hearts Run Free" - Kym Mazelle – 4:16
"Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" - Quindon Tarver – 1:43
"To You I Bestow" - Mundy – 3:59
"Talk Show Host" - Radiohead – 4:17
"Little Star" - Stina Nordenstam – 3:40
"You and Me Song" - The Wannadies – 2:55

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I think we're talking about a different movie entirely. The one by the same director as Gatsby

These were the songs from the soundtrack

The album featured bonus tracks in the 10th Anniversary re-release in 2007.

"#1 Crush" - Garbage – 4:47
"Local God" - Everclear – 3:56
"Angel" - Gavin Friday – 4:19
"Pretty Piece of Flesh" - One Inch Punch – 4:53
"Kissing You (Love Theme from Romeo + Juliet)" - Des'ree – 4:58
"Whatever (I Had a Dream)" - Butthole Surfers – 4:09
"Lovefool" - The Cardigans – 3:19
"Young Hearts Run Free" - Kym Mazelle – 4:16
"Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" - Quindon Tarver – 1:43
"To You I Bestow" - Mundy – 3:59
"Talk Show Host" - Radiohead – 4:17
"Little Star" - Stina Nordenstam – 3:40
"You and Me Song" - The Wannadies – 2:55

;)

So you are not referring to the Gounod, are you?

I believe that I have here some film of the musical score of one of these films being recorded:

[video=youtube;zif0mSEgld8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zif0mSEgld8&t=2m10s[/video]

I cant recall whether the synchronisation was done by Gene Rodemich's Orchestra or the Butthole Surfers.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Myself, I was nervous about the Tobey Maguire choice as well (never a particular fan of his), while re-reading the book this Summer I think he has what it takes to pull it off. Not an obvious shoe-in, of course - no final statements can be made until we see the final print - but I think he's got the right stuff.

I genuinely can't think of a better known-name actor to play the role. I'm really pleased with thew casting as announced; knowing it is Luhrman in the big chair, however, I am entirely prepared for bitter disappointment. If the man has ever done a decent film it is purely a case of monkeys / Shakespeare / typewriters.

The electric guitar brought about the end of Music, I'm afraid, at least according to my narrow understanding of the term (Music to my narrow understanding being that which has been produced or is rooted in the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music from the 10th century onward.)

I think "narrow" may be the appropriate word. ;) :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I genuinely can't think of a better known-name actor to play the role. I'm really pleased with thew casting as announced; knowing it is Luhrman in the big chair, however, I am entirely prepared for bitter disappointment. If the man has ever done a decent film it is purely a case of monkeys / Shakespeare / typewriters.

I think "narrow" may be the appropriate word. ;) :p

Well, I have occasionally made exceptions for Burmese Gamelan, but only veryoccasionally.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
edgertgatsby.jpg

gatsby-poster-isla-thumb-450x666-78288.jpg

Two new one sheets for the Gatsby movie opening May 10th in 3D.

Here is the new trailer.
[video=youtube_share;fNfXYCFvtjw]http://youtu.be/fNfXYCFvtjw[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats