Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Gatsby - Remake in the Works

Edward

Bartender

Redford's suit and collar cuts were off, but the colourings were spot on to what was described in the book, as I recall. In particular, Gatsby is described specifically in this ivory suit/silver grey shirt/ gold tie combo in a particular sequence in the book. It may be less a case of imitating the irritating Redford and more of a coincidence that they are similarly dressed as they both are based on the description in the book. [huh]

You're right and Redford did it better from what I can tell so far.

I loathed Redford's portrayal, myself. Horses for courses, I guess! I'm looking forward to seeing what young Leo does with it.

Edward

Bartender
Bale is far too old now, though. I don't recall an exact age being given for Gatsby, but he's an about contemporary with Nick Carraway, who turns thirty towards the end of the book. Having served in the US Army in the Great War (at some point during 1917-18), that also puts a certain timeframe on his age. My best guess is early thirties.

Mojito

One Too Many
Have just seen another set photo of Isla Fisher from the set and...OW! I have a vague idea which particular 1922 photo they might have based it on (I need to drag the book out and compare), but it's atypical in terms of hemlength, even for NY (which tended to have shorter hems than Paris at that time), and they've emphasised the bust (even the voluptuous Myrtle would be de-emphasising it!), have a split up the middle front of her dress showing bare thigh, hose that she would NOT be wearing, and I'm hoping the shoes are not the disaster they look like in the grainy image.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Have just seen another set photo of Isla Fisher from the set and...OW! I have a vague idea which particular 1922 photo they might have based it on (I need to drag the book out and compare), but it's atypical in terms of hemlength, even for NY (which tended to have shorter hems than Paris at that time), and they've emphasised the bust (even the voluptuous Myrtle would be de-emphasising it!), have a split up the middle front of her dress showing bare thigh, hose that she would NOT be wearing, and I'm hoping the shoes are not the disaster they look like in the grainy image.

Bets are on that the costuming will be a pastiche of early '20s, late '20s-early '30s, and pure (inaccurate) fantasy. In other words, "Boardwalk Empire" on Long Island.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
tobey-maguire-the-great-gatsby-set-photo-1.jpg

tobey-maguire-the-great-gatsby-set-photo-2.jpg

great-gatsby-tobey-maguire-joel-edgerton-movie-set-photo-05.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Bets are on that the costuming will be a pastiche of early '20s, late '20s-early '30s, and pure (inaccurate) fantasy. In other words, "Boardwalk Empire" on Long Island.

Ha... Well, as long as it's a nice rendition of the book.... I'm prepared to overlook a few costume howlers if it's otherwise a good film. Not having Redford in it is a bonus from the off.

Whoever costumed the guy on the left should be sent back to school, maybe forever. It's actually more messed up than the duds in the '74 "Gatsby" flick.

Marc, would you mind going into a bit more detail on this for those of us that don't have your expertise for the period? There's something that doesn't sit easy about it to me. The trousers just look "modern", and the pairing of the pinstripe jacket with the plan trousers and waistcoat just seems wrong. Tom Buchanan (it seems to me that this is the character that is being portrayed here) was a rich man, so it's not like we're talking about somebody who couldn't afford another suit matching up what was available in his limited wardrobe. The man owned a big house and polo ponies!!

It is nice to see them in boaters, though.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc, would you mind going into a bit more detail on this for those of us that don't have your expertise for the period?

Sure.

The jacket's shoulders are too extended --and padded-- for the period (1921, yes?), even if Tom had his suits made in Savile Row. The sleeves are also too loose. The waistcoat's closure is too high. The necktie's knot is far too fat for the era. At the time, brown shoes were not worn with dark blue, grey, or black trousers.

...the pairing of the pinstripe jacket with the plan trousers and waistcoat just seems wrong.

Actually, that pairing was sometimes done. However, the color of the solid waistcoat and trousers is too similar to the color of the striped jacket. When a striped jacket was worn with, say, solid colored trousers, those trousers would be either notably lighter or darker than the jacket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner