Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vintage hair-on

IMG_40332.jpg

IMG_40362.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It was marketed heavily for the children's through university age demographics. A lot of the ads these are from touted the extendable cuffs which could grow with the jacket's owner.
Also a lot of sporting connections. See the footballs in the far right second row and far left and far right in the bottom row? The two photos in the top row are also athletes.

Edward

Bartender
I've always wondered if it added to the warmth - or just the weight - of the jacket. As I understand it, the reason a shearling or fur lining keeps the wearer warm is because it traps warm air in the little "pockets" between the body and the lining of the jacket. Grizzly obviously wouldn't do this as the fleecy bit is on the outside....

mihai

A-List Customer
I own 2 Grizzly type hair on hide jackets:
- black steer hide with brown/white horse hair on hide (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?60873-My-custom-made-Grizzly-Palomino-jacket&highlight=)
- black horse hide with black/white horse hair on hide (I will post pics and details soon in the thread above)

Perhaps I am being subjective owning 2 of them, but my reaction when seeing this is thinking about something distinctive, even luxurious(in my opinion almost all garments having some rich fur like Aero B3) Of course they make you stand out of the crowd(more in Europe) but I do not find it neither disturbing nor pleasing. Perhaps this is bc from what I noticed western Europe(where I live) way of dressing is more pragmatic/austere than North American one.
From the knowledge point of view I have not much to say as I wore so far only first of them for a handful of times, casually and taking great care (to protect it from abrasion, elements...).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Will at Aero said that he once made a three-quarter length 'hair on' jacket for a Japanese guy. Don't think he approved of it, really, but the guy was willing to pay the price. Would love to see the photos of it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just my opinion as I have seen one on the rack. I really think this is a jacket of the time and really more suited to the pre war Harley/biker look but I think you need the bike to go with it. Not a jacket I would pop down the restaurant in, more riding on the Gypsy Tour on my Knucklehead(wish;))
Well you did ask for personal opinions!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I had a horsehair belt and the hair wore off in patches. It doesn't look like nice leather under the hair either, more like the bald spot on a dog that has a skin condition.

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
To me the "Grizzly" looks like a cave-man-thingy, but then that's just me. Missing the finer points of American Pre-War-History and so... ;)

Graemsay

Practically Family
I had a hair on belt a few years back, and it went bald after a while. I'd be a bit nervous about getting a jacket with horsehair on it for that reason.

But a sheepskin trimmed Grizzly could be more durable. There are pictures on the Grizzly thread of abused jackets that have remained resolutely hairy. Besides, the more you abuse a leather jacket and the tattier it gets, the better it looks. And I suspect that raggedy mouton would add to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland