Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
Some of the hats at the Outlet are actually factory seconds caught by HatCo's QC dept. Between the dealer rejects & the QC rejects is the reason why most of the hats have the dealer names embossed on the sweats. The hole punch is so hats can not be purchased at the Outlet & returned to a retailer for full credit. No returns are allowed for hats with hole punched sweats.

So, I'm guessing a hat with a hole punched, but no dealer name embossed, was a factory reject caught by HatCo's QC people. I think the message here is the usual caveat emptor, the buyer is responsible for checking the suitability before purchase. I've not been to the outlet store, but have spoken to them a couple of times, and what I notice is that not everything has an asking price in the low numbers suggested in this thread and one can't just assume that because it's from there that it's a good deal.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have friends and family who own retail shops. They send unsold merchandise back for credit. If they couldn't they would be at greater risk when deciding what to stock. And it's obvious that Stetson quality has declined. But the reason you can't get such a great deal on a car (American car quality also declined in the 70s) is almost everyone in this country over 16 drives. The demand for vehicles is high. Not so much for fedoras! If the demand was there the competition would force quality. The quality of American cars is better than 20 years ago because they had to improve to compete with the imports.

Last edited:
Long as I get what I want CHEAP.
That's why I buy my parakeets at Walmart.

I don't believe any of my outlet hats were branded with dealer names. Some hats are also brought to trade shows and manufacturers conventions.
I have no real idea what the actual percentage would be, but go there in person & I would say that ~60 - 75% of the hats in the Outlets have the sweats embossed with dealer names from all over the country. The number of hats that could be trade show & convention hats in the Outlet has to be so small to be insignificant. By & large they are all retailer rejects.

I have friends and family who own retail shops. They send unsold merchandise back for credit. If they couldn't they would be at greater risk when deciding what to stock. And it's obvious that Stetson quality has declined. But the reason you can't get such a great deal on a car (American car quality also declined in the 70s) is almost everyone in this country over 16 drives. The demand for vehicles is high. Not so much for fedoras! If the demand was there the competition would force quality. The quality of American cars is better than 20 years ago because they had to improve to compete with the imports.
I order 100 hats for stock & I get an invoice I'm expected to pay in 30 days. Knowing the quality & the rejection rate (which should be caught & never get out the door at the factory) I have to take the time to inspect 100 hats to see if they meet my own standard or not. I reject 50-60 hats, box them up & return for credit, maybe I make several minor repairs to others. Maybe my 30 days are up before I even get all this done, so I pay my invoice in full. Maybe they can pay & deduct but I doubt it without authorization. I pay my invoice in full, ship back the rejects, & wait for my credit memo from the manufacturer. When the credit memo is finally authorized it is not usually paid in cash but rather it is paid as credit on my account. In the meantime, until my next order I can't use that cash or credit to cash flow my business.

No wonder Batsakes stopped selling HatCo's product.

Bill Hughes

That's why I buy my parakeets at Walmart.

I have no real idea what the actual percentage would be, but go there in person & I would say that ~60 - 75% of the hats in the Outlets have the sweats embossed with dealer names from all over the country. The number of hats that could be trade show & convention hats in the Outlet has to be so small to be insignificant. By & large they are all retailer rejects.

I'm one of those people you hear about that are extremely organized. I have databases of all my music, movies, knife collection, as well as my fedoras. Every fedora I have ever owned I have records of including pictures. I just checked and I have purchased 18 hats from the outlet in Garland. Many were not for me but I still have the recored in my database. I looked at all the pictures and none have dealer names. Not one! Maybe that's because it's right beside the factory? But I don't remember seeing any when I was there.

Bill Hughes

I order 100 hats for stock & I get an invoice I'm expected to pay in 30 days. Knowing the quality & the rejection rate (which should be caught & never get out the door at the factory) I have to take the time to inspect 100 hats to see if they meet my own standard or not. I reject 50-60 hats, box them up & return for credit, maybe I make several minor repairs to others. Maybe my 30 days are up before I even get all this done, so I pay my invoice in full. Maybe they can pay & deduct but I doubt it without authorization. I pay my invoice in full, ship back the rejects, & wait for my credit memo from the manufacturer. When the credit memo is finally authorized it is not usually paid in cash but rather it is paid as credit on my account. In the meantime, until my next order I can't use that cash or credit to cash flow my business.

No wonder Batsakes stopped selling HatCo's product.

With that kind of a rejection rate I would stop doing business with them. Or are they the only game in town?

I looked at all the pictures and none have dealer names. Not one! Maybe that's because it's right beside the factory? But I don't remember seeing any when I was there.
Bill, you claim dealers are allowed to return "slow sellers" off their store shelves. Are you saying those hats were never embossed too?

Bill Hughes

Bill, you claim dealers are allowed to return "slow sellers" off their store shelves. Are you saying those hats were never embossed too?
I was just repeating what Aubrey (manager at outlet store) said. I have no firsthand knowledge if I have ever seen a hat at the outlet that has been returned. The only thing I can say for certain is I've seen a lot of garbage there. But also found some hats I don't mind wearing as beaters.

...found some hats I don't mind wearing as beaters.
We finally found a point on which to agree. My whole point is the Outlet is not there to sell prime quality $300 hats for $64.00 like most people seem to assume.

The thinking that you can buy a $300 prime quality hat at the Outlet for $64.00 has totally destroyed the Classified listings for modern Stetson hats on FL. I hate to cite examples without permission but I don't think Moon will mind.

Moon recently wanted to sell his new prime quality New York Limited Edition in Phantom Gray. They retail for $325.00 & he was asking $200, a more than fair price. It took him a while to get it sold, but how do you think the sale would have gone if it had been known the Outlet had the same hat for $124.00 as recently posted by Bob Roberts? That's like comparing apples to oranges but no one here seems to care.

Having been to, and purchased from, the outlet numerous times, a few points.

With one exception, I have never seen a store embossed hat at the outlet. That exception is a line of Knox hats which are produced exclusively for Levine hats. In fact, I know of no dealer imprints on Hatco hats at all. Even DelMonico, a major Stetson dealer, adds an after market cloth tag with their name on it after they receive the hat from the factory. Not certain about JJ Hats; perhaps moon can weigh in.

The vast majority of hats at the outlet are factory seconds. This is obvious once you look through the racks and see the imperfections present in ~80% of them. When you go, you're looking for a diamond in the rough. My Racine appears to have no flaws beyond the bow not looking like the pic in the catalog. The Excellent Strat I recently purchased has a flaw in the stitching of the brim binding.

I have seen what are probably closeouts or returns, because they're obviously a few to several years old. Those are the ones they stack in the middle of the store and sell for $25-$50.

Mr. Miller hasn't completely stopped dealing with them, as he often has Stetson and Dobbs summer Milans in stock.

As far as the Classies go, what is sold there is not guaranteed to be available at the outlet. And most sold in the classies are vintage, so I don't see how it has made a significant impact.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have handled a few hats from the Stetson outlet ... they all had flaws... most very minor

that being said ... when I search through stacks of Stetson hats at renowned hat shops in NYC more of them had these same flaws than the ones that did not

same for the Borsalino hats I searched through for what felt like hours at another well known NY shop ...

chances are if someone walks into ... say ... JJ Hat for a Premier Stratoliner in SIlverbelly and they take the first hat off the stack without searching through and examining they are going to get a hat with a stitching issue ... or a little flaw in the felt ... or possibly an issue with the bow ...
pretty much what I have seen from "Outlet hats"

only difference is that they are paying $245 or whatever the current price point is

that is just what you get from HatCo. ... flawed merchandise

but it really is all hat companies ... every Akubra hat I have ever seen has a flaw ... mostly that irritating tolliker mark in the break that is blaring and a major eyesore to me

the only hats I own without flaws are some vintage hats , some customs , and the modern production hats that I found after "diggin in the crates" as they say in my business

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

I was at the outlet this last Monday. I needed some hat boxes to get some of my vintage fedoras off the table. Anyway, I looked through the racks and didn't see anything that I would purchase. Having said that usually Aubrey gets stuff from the back if I'm really looking for something in particular for someone.

My wife says I've become a hat snob. I only wear vintage or custom. That is unless I'm worried about damage because of what I am doing. Then I'm likely to be wearing a Hatco item. I still have a few.

My Excellent Sage Stratoliner that came to me via Moon is kind of a daily driver. I think benefited from the keen eye selection process that is described above. I'm hoping that the tall crown Whippet arriving tomorrow will not disappoint. I would have to agree with Bill and Anthony, if I plan to "be seen" in public, I prefer to present a nice custom or a vintage hat. Just going to run errands, I can get away with a modern production Stetson.

As far as the Classies go, what is sold there is not guaranteed to be available at the outlet. And most sold in the classies are vintage, so I don't see how it has made a significant impact.
I would not agree that most sold in the Classifieds are vintage. Especially with a constant stream of newbies incoming.

I listed a 1 yr old hat I bought from JJ Hat Center for $200, for sale for $90 because I don't care for the Silverbelly. That's less than half price yet I had someone "make me an offer". I don't really care about the money but I care about the principal. I won't ever bother to list on FL Classifieds again.

I have handled a few hats from the Stetson outlet ... they all had flaws... most very minor
A distinction probably needs to be made in one's own mind between minor flaws unique to each producer & what is clearly a factory second.

Having said that usually Aubrey gets stuff from the back if I'm really looking for something in particular for someone.
Inventory kept in the back is usually not factory seconds, & priced accordingly. They do the same thing at St. Joseph. If you ask for a certain model, grade, color or hat they know they have the chance to "upsell" you from the typical Outlet buyer, & the product is priced accordingly.

I agree. The Hatco hats I have look just fine and I don't consider them "beaters."
I would agree, & I have not been the one to use the word "beater". As I have said previously, I have no problem buying hats from the Outlet; just know what you are buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany