Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Tarantula Pants

Posted pic in Murray's thread allready but thought, well hey.... :)

paasfoto.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Yes indeedee. Ive got 2 originals, one 1940s era and one from 1951. The 1940s one is available from evadress.com as a copy only. Finding originals is possible, but mens ones are hard to come by!

1951:
S3720-34.jpg

1940s:

Pattern_butterick_3998_mens_slacks1.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm at present having a pair very similar to these being finished up by a seamstress out here that owns a vintage store. She is a third generation seamstress, and occasionally makes some pieces from vintage patterns to also sell in her store. This is probably the first thing she has made in boys/men's wear.

These bespoke 30s/40s style trousers are being made for our 13yo son to wear next Sunday's ADSC Gatsby Summer Afternoon. I brought her the light yellow Ulster handkerchief linen yard goods. They have the dropped thin belt loops, full cut legs, a very long rise (which seems very strange to our son), deep cuffs and curved and pointed flap back pockets. They are completely underlined. These trousers are the first real step in Daniel's vision of the art deco wardrobe he wants. His style icon at this age is Fred Astaire.

Our son had a first fitting on Friday, she needed to take in the waist further. He's a skinny kid; a 22" waist, a 26-7/8" chest and he's 5'-1/2" tall.

Young Master Daniel will be wearing these with a cream linen-cotton RL cricket sweater, a RL dress shirt, a vintage bow tie and vintage boater. I'm hoping to enter him in the "Jay Gatsby Best Dressed Gentleman Contest".

btw, NickD made this eva.dress.com repro pattern for himself in wool. He said they were easy to make and fit well.

repeatclicks said:
The 1940s one is available from evadress.com as a copy only. 1940s:

Pattern_butterick_3998_mens_slacks1.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
mattfink said:
40 waist and 30 length are not a desirable size...

Anything bigger than a 36" waist is a desirable size....

Call me a geek, but I've thought about it and I am convinced that waist sizes of vintage pants follow the usually only theoretical normal distribution of a 68/95/98 bell curve. It really seems like 95% of waist sizes being 2 sizes (or standard deviations in geek talk) up or down from the average size (which is about 32")

mattfink

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
Anything bigger than a 36" waist is a desirable size....

Call me a geek, but I've thought about it and I am convinced that waist sizes of vintage pants follow the usually only theoretical normal distribution of a 68/95/98 bell curve. It really seems like 95% of waist sizes being 2 sizes (or standard deviations in geek talk) up or down from the average size (which is about 32")

The problem with the pants in question is the combination of the waist and length. 30" inseam with 40" waist is fairly common and not desirable. 34"+ inseam with 40" waist is hard to find and therefore worth more money.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
mattfink said:
The problem with the pants in question is the combination of the waist and length. 30" inseam with 40" waist is fairly common and not desirable. 34"+ inseam with 40" waist is hard to find and therefore worth more money.

Well yeah, tall guys are usually SOL when it come to finding vintage slacks; but then again, so a the chubbier guys.

I think classifying pant with a 40"W x 30"I inseam as "not desirable" is only a fair assessment when comparing them with pair of 40"W x 34"I (a size which is as rare as a blue moon at noon!).

There are tons of 5'8-9" 200-210lbs guys who spend a fortune on clothes that fit them, and the ones I know, generally never pass up anything in their size.

YETI

A-List Customer
mattfink said:
yeah, you make a very good point...a couple of weeks ago on ebay a nice pair of 40s deadstock salt&pepper work trousers in a size 48x30 didn't sell. I wear a 42-44 waist and couldn't pull the trigger cuz taking them in wouldn't seem feasible. I was afraid, in doing so, the rear pockets might appear too close to each other.

mattfink

Practically Family
Like I said, I've found ton's of pants in big waist/small length. They just don't sell so I don't buy them. Right now I've got over 10 pairs of vintage Hollywood waist slacks in 38W 33/34L...guess I'm not SOL eh?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Also, currently working on a pair in gray wol with just a bit of black fleck in them from the Simplicity 1951 pattern I listed... Will post photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy