Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hot Water treatment-

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Is there any way to control where a jacket shrinks with the HWT? and dryer?
My 30s FQHH is a bit long in the sleeves, and a touch big in the chest...but I don't want to loose any length or shoulder width... do I only wet the sleeves and under the pits?

This is one of the most funny threads of the F.L.! Why try to shrink a leather jacket? Why try to shrink it partially? Did you all order the wrong sizes or gave wrong measurements?

@ Handymike: I was in the same situation some month ago and thought about possibilities to shrink my customized FQHH jacket partially. Then I remeasured the jacket and found differences to my order of more than 1" exactly where I wanted the jacket to shrink ...

Was your jacket off the rag or customized? Did you order wrong lengths or are the deviations between your order and outcome so big? In my case I got a new jacket (with the sleeves then too short), and am still waiting to get it back again with the sleeves remade ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:
I bought mine off EBay. 15 years old and already broken in...Afraid I can't afford Aero retail.It's a 42, which is perfect length for me(25 1/2") but I'm really closer to a 40 chest. No switching it out with the factory I'm afraid....anyone want to trade for a 40?

You can do do some selective shrinking/stretching. Wet the areas you want to stretch/shrink. To stretch them, you'd wet an armhole for example, then shove a glass bottle into it, stretching as needed (I've done this with perfect results). Leave until dry.
Or, wet the arms and put the item in the dryer for short stints. The dry leather isn't go to be as bothered, while the wet leather will start to shrink in the heat.
Be very careful. Take your time. If you overdo it, it's difficult or impossible to undue, depending on the skin, age, and condition.
There's nothing wrong with this, and it's been done by many with results that have had people drooling over jackets here and elsewhere. Not everyone has the cash for new & custom, and even a new & custom jacket can benefit from a little tinkering. I don't find it humorous or funny, just a tad scary the first time you do it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just wore my loose fitting Avierex russett HH out in a torrential downpour now pounding the Northeast. I'm sitting in it now. Just attempting to get the REST of the coat to break in like the bottom which has a sweet patina developing since I've been wearing it like a second set of skin. I also did a collar creasing with some warm water on my new Black heavy HH Indy Custom. I wanted to get the collar to bend or crease a little closer to the stand. I'll let you know what happens.

Worf

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Great info!
I am 'awaiting' an Aero 1410.... Its a 42, I normally wear a 40, so MAY very well do some selective 'shrinking'... The measurements are OK, but it could be a touch big in certain areas...
I think its a great way to get a really good fit and 'worn' look, as long as not overdone...
As I have mentioned before somewhere, I did a HWT to my first ELC RW 27752.... the jacket did shrink a touch and went a shade lighter, but apart from the sleeves ending up too short, the jacket shaped to my form like a second-skin. It was so comfortable... Amazing. I have just been too scared to attempt it with other jackets, its a costly mistake with a new/ custom jacket...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Would like to see someones before and after photos.

I have a Cooper A-2 that Just wont Lay right in the gut region.

It got in with some moldy clothes and is musty anyway..Guess It will take a shower with me, and then I will try the Dryer method to maybe see what happens.:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
AERO Irvin - Straight out of the box:
AEROIRVIN004-2.jpg

After two times soaking and drying in sun/hot hairdryer treatment:
L1050805.jpg

What a difference!!!!
AEROIRVIN002.jpg

L1050801.jpg

Lungomare

A-List Customer
This is one of the most funny threads of the F.L.! Why try to shrink a leather jacket? Why try to shrink it partially? Did you all order the wrong sizes or gave wrong measurements?

@ Handymike: I was in the same situation some month ago and thought about possibilities to shrink my customized FQHH jacket partially. Then I remeasured the jacket and found differences to my order of more than 1" exactly where I wanted the jacket to shrink ...

Was your jacket off the rag or customized? Did you order wrong lengths or are the deviations between your order and outcome so big? In my case I got a new jacket (with the sleeves then too short), and am still waiting to get it back again with the sleeves remade ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Why try to shrink it partially? Did you all order the wrong sizes or gave wrong measurements?

Still ruminating why there are no answers - the holy grail of Galashiels is never to be questioned?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Haha! That is probably the first and last time Galashiels will ever be referred to as a Holy Grail! One of the most jarring things about Aero Leather is that it's a brilliant gem of a company stuck in a pit of a town, which is odd because it's surrounded by beautiful little Borders towns - Peebles, Melrose etc.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Why try to shrink it partially? Did you all order the wrong sizes or gave wrong measurements?

Still ruminating why there are no answers - the holy grail of Galashiels is never to be questioned?

Hi Johannes;
Speaking for myself....I've only done the water/dryer treatment over the whole jacket(s). But I can imagine some guys are interested in doing certain areas of the jacket only because maybe they bought the jacket second hand and are trying to get a more accomodating fit.
We all now Aero is a terrific company and will always attempt to get the customer what they want. Most of the time it seems to work out fine, but since we are all human, mistakes are made whether it's the measurement taking by the customer or the actual building of the jacket. This is why Aero has a very liberal "send it back and we will make it right" policy; and to that end they are the very best in the jacket making industry.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family

I just keep getting fatter and slimmer, thus the interest in these questions. The problem living with good food and wine here in France. I hope you can experience it one day :)

Why try to shrink it partially? Did you all order the wrong sizes or gave wrong measurements?Still ruminating why there are no answers - the holy grail of Galashiels is never to be questioned?
Is this a shill for ELC talking? If AERO made a mistake, they'll replace it. Doesn't get better than that. EVERY maker makes mistakes. All of 'em. It's how they handle it that counts.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
It really shouldn't be too hard to understand why people on a clothing forum might want to hear about the pros, cons, and methods for tweaking a leather jacket (or any other garment) for sizing. And needing to do so doesn't necessarily imply that somebody messed up. People's bodies change, tastes change, sometime you score something nice on the secondary market that fits quite well but could use some adjustment...the list goes on. All perfect valid reasons for exploring the HWT or any other little tip for making something work a little better. I don't have any plans at the moment for using the HWT but may consider it in the future and appreciate people publishing accounts of their experience, good or bad, in using it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It really shouldn't be too hard to understand why people on a clothing forum might want to hear about the pros, cons, and methods for tweaking a leather jacket (or any other garment) for sizing. And needing to do so doesn't necessarily imply that somebody messed up. People's bodies change, tastes change, sometime you score something nice on the secondary market that fits quite well but could use some adjustment...the list goes on. All perfect valid reasons for exploring the HWT or any other little tip for making something work a little better. I don't have any plans at the moment for using the HWT but may consider it in the future and appreciate people publishing accounts of their experience, good or bad, in using it.
I did not do it in order to change size or shape - only to get a more original "curly" fleece instead of the fluffy teddybear look - and to take some of the shine out of the surface. It happened!

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
I will ask a question in this thread, to not create a new one just to ask this.

I've bought an G-1 jacket (an original military-issued) from 70's and it was never worn. The leather is completely, how can i say, flat/plain?
It do not have the normal "wrinkles" from an used leather jacket.
So when I move my arms it make a sound like if I am rubbing rubber or plastic. The leather do not appear to be hard because it's dry. But I'm not sure of it.
I was planing to use it and wait it create the wrinkles, but now I'm afraid it could be dry and I do not wanna it get cracked.

I'm planning to buy the LEXOL conditioner. Any of you recommends it!?
I do not have courage to get it wet with hot water (not yet). So what you think about lexol? anyone already had any problem using this conditioner?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Johannes;
Speaking for myself....I've only done the water/dryer treatment over the whole jacket(s). But I can imagine some guys are interested in doing certain areas of the jacket only because maybe they bought the jacket second hand and are trying to get a more accomodating fit.
We all now Aero is a terrific company and will always attempt to get the customer what they want. Most of the time it seems to work out fine, but since we are all human, mistakes are made whether it's the measurement taking by the customer or the actual building of the jacket. This is why Aero has a very liberal "send it back and we will make it right" policy; and to that end they are the very best in the jacket making industry.

Regards,
coffee

With my first ELC RW, I did it to get it to look 'aged' and more comfortable. It worked. Sort of... Remember this was my first 'real' A-2, the leather was shiny and wrinkle-free and a little stiff. It worked in the sense that it looked better and conformed to my shape like a glove. Only the shortened sleeves became an issue. I have not repeated this exercise since then.

But now I have received an Aero 1410, in sublime shape (pics to follow shortly ;-). fantastic patina and chocolate coloured, buttery-soft HH. Lining, cuffs, etc... all 'top class'.
However, its a size 42. I am a slim, tall 40. Body and sleeve length are good, but the 23 pit to pit should be 21.5, and the 19 inch shoulder should be 18 to 18.5 max!

So, what could I do? I could HWT it selectively, shrink the body somewhat [ps any suggestions from the gallery :eusa_clap, besides whats been posted so far?]
or sell it off and miss out on this superb jacket (may still do this tho, as I have an November Aero order pending)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany