Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hot Water treatment-

Brando11

A-List Customer
Many of you know this already, but this is the first time I've tried it. I'm trying to break in a FQHH HB Deluxe that's like a suit of armor- particularly trying to shorten up the sleeves.

I sprayed them with scalding water using the dish spritzer on the kitchen sink. PRESTO! Made them soft as can be; I can slide them up as easily as rolling up my shirtsleeves. Gonna spray the torso down and watch the Bears game in it.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Brando11,

Good job, glad to hear it's working. When you do the torso and watch the Bears game......watch while moving around with the jacket on. Do so pushups, shadow box, jump up and down and make threatening hand and arm gestures when the refs make bad calls. Every time Andrew Luck makes a TD pass, take the jacket off and wad it up and stomp on it once or twice.
Point being, as the jacket dries keep moving to get the creases and folds in the correct natural places. If one sits around while the jacket is drying, unnatural creases will form and look out of place when the jacket is worn normally.
Sounds like you got it all going on.........keep at it. Do some pictures.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
An addition to the process which is more enjoyable in the winter is to wet it all down, put it in the clothes dryer until nice and toasty, then wear it. Repeat as needed. Works wonders for FQHH.

Brettafett

One Too Many
What happens to a HH A-2's knits....? I assume hot water the jacket, but keep away from the knits? How 'wet' would you suggest you make te jacket... AND, do you 'spritz' the inner as well?

Lungomare

A-List Customer
What happens to a HH A-2's knits....? I assume hot water the jacket, but keep away from the knits? How 'wet' would you suggest you make te jacket... AND, do you 'spritz' the inner as well?

Generally Aero does not recomend the hot water treatment also with their front quarter HH (I was told by Amanda).

Kind regards,

Johannes

Generally Aero does not recomend the hot water treatment also with their front quarter HH (I was told by Amanda).Kind regards,Johannes
They would be insane to do so. But it's been one safely by many...including myself. It's up to each individual whether to try it or not...

Flyderf

New in Town
I have a Bill Kelso house A2 that was extremely long. Did a few hot water treatments exactly as the original poster did. I also tossed it in the dryer for a few minutes at a time on low heat. It worked for me. I did it more to shorten the jacket opposed to breaking in the leather. Probably will do another set of treatments again to shorten it a bit more.

FWIW, I understand John Chapman (Good Wear) isn't a fan of the treatment on his jackets either.
No maker would be. Just like 80% of what I do on my computers Apple would never approve of. Or my car, motorcycle, etc. at the point I pay for it though, I do what I need ;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
FWIW, I understand John Chapman (Good Wear) isn't a fan of the treatment on his jackets either.
I wouldn't go that far Jeff, JC gives some guidance on HWT on his jacket CD ROM and shows examples in which he's aged jackets, unless he's changed his opinion in recent years. It does depend on the hide though - he counselled against using it on his goatskin as it would leave it dry and stiff.
On the other hand I have used with great success on my ELC capeskin A-1 - moderation is the key.

I'll say this much. I won't use a washing machine. I'm content with the spray bottle or the shower. I also tuck up the knits on those that have them.
And yes, moderation indeed.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I agree with Scott: hot shower in my case, tucked knits, some tumble drying (on low/medium heat) to bring out grain, use of hot hair drier on occasions.

I wouldn't go that far Jeff, JC gives some guidance on HWT on his jacket CD ROM and shows examples in which he's aged jackets, unless he's changed his opinion in recent years. It does depend on the hide though - he counselled against using it on his goatskin as it would leave it dry and stiff.
On the other hand I have used with great success on my ELC capeskin A-1 - moderation is the key.

My mistake.
The subject came up when discussing a used GW jacket for sale where the seller made no mention of the fact that the jacket had received the hot water treatment. That was probably what John was referring to.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Would you gentleman say that a HWT could shrink a jacket one size? I assume, not so with a spray bottle, but perhaps with a 'dunk' or 'shower'...?

wild_balls

Practically Family
I've noticed that my horsehide jackets shrinks a bit even in the cold showers of SWEDEN ( they start to come now)! Maybe it's the wrinkling that pulls and twists a bit!

Cheers Joakim

too much coffee

Practically Family
Would you gentleman say that a HWT could shrink a jacket one size? I assume, not so with a spray bottle, but perhaps with a 'dunk' or 'shower'...?

Hi Brett;
In my experience, if one desires to shrink a leather jacket........it's the clothes dryer on a hot temperature more so than hot water alone. Hot water is great to reconform or reshape the leather (pockets, collar, bottom of zipper area end even flat panels of leather that have gotten crushed, folded or otherwise disfigured).
If the jacket is put in the dryer while it's very wet and the temp control is on high heat, and one walks away for say, 30 minutes, that jacket will shrink big time.

The key to the whole process is gradual shrinkage till you're satisfied. Dryer on medium or low heat and continual monitoring every 4-5 minutes. I have taken down an Aero steerhide Teamster one full size without damage and other jackets I've done less than one full size but all have fit me better after the process. Just don't get distracted while the $1,000 jacket is in the dryer!!

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
Is there any way to control where a jacket shrinks with the HWT? and dryer?
My 30s FQHH is a bit long in the sleeves, and a touch big in the chest...but I don't want to loose any length or shoulder width... do I only wet the sleeves and under the pits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy