Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunt for Practical Classic Gloves

bbcworld

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I've so far failed in my exhaustive 1 year hunt for the perfect practical classic glove in black. Of particular importance is inseam stitching, as large seams on the outside stop a 2nd skin fit and make the glove less practical (this is the common cut on classic officer gloves etc.)

I was very close but missed the bidding on ebay on the very glove I am talking about now, although I had to search for a pair of vintage gloves as no one seems to make them anymore and none seem to come on ebay.

Here are the requirements:

-Black Nappa or high quality leather.
-Unlined
-Inseam stitching
-Size 8

Below is the closest example I can find of the glove I'm looking for, it is almost perfect apart from no inseam stitching (notice it does not have inseam stitching but ugly flaps all too common on classic designs).

KGrHqQOKnME1UQLn7WBNrtejNsw_12.jpg

I have tried all the Dents gloves, but they don't have the inseam stitching in the models I'm after only the ugly impractical flaps.

Southcombe gloves don't do it in an unlined version.

I've written and called www.alwyngloves.com several times but no reply.

I've also looked at http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk I called them as well, they can do inseam stitching but I'm unsure that their buttoned and dome fastening gloves have the same look as the glove featured above.

Can anyone put me out of misery and find me a decent glove making company that can make the above glove in black and inseamed?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I was in London, it was bloody freezing (it was just days after that huge snowfall). My hands were shivering nonstop.

I purchased a pair of classic black leather lambskin gloves (very similar to those in the photo but without the buttons) at Sermonetta Gloves in the Burlington Arcade.

The best bloody purchase I ever made. Warm, comfortable and classy. Perhaps go there and have a look?

Picture:

images

Those are almost the exact style of gloves I bought (Cashmere lined). Except the ridges on the back are smoother, like the ones you show. My brother had an identical pair and when I saw his, I knew I wanted some.

By good fortune, I managed to buy a near-identical pair of brown leather gloves for a pittance at a thriftshop when I returned to Melbourne. So now I have two pairs!

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've also looked at http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk I called them as well, they can do inseam stitching but I'm unsure that their buttoned and dome fastening gloves have the same look as the glove featured above.
They do bespoke so it shouldn't be a problem. Just email the photo to them for their opinion.

Also, you might contact Merola as they do bespoke as well, though it's not mentioned on their website.

Last edited:

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
I've got some Chester Jefferies gloves that are very similar to the ones above - the button may be a little lower, and the u-shaped vent a bit shorter.

bbcworld

New in Town
I've got some Chester Jefferies gloves that are very similar to the ones above - the button may be a little lower, and the u-shaped vent a bit shorter.

The ones above have a shorter u shape and lower button or were you referring to the Chester Jefferies?

I'm going to Poland for a couple of weeks soon, it's quite an unknown gem for bespoke stuff especially leathers and suits which you some 5 years ago get for very cheap and very old school rugged quality and elegance (although becoming pricier today). Remarkable that while British suit making on the whole (even Jermyn street stuff) has gone done the pan of capitalisation + globalisation with loss of quality etc. etc. surviving patches of the old world and it's quality of clothing remain and survive in other countries.

Will search for a glove maker there I reckon.

For example, if anyone is going to Warsaw ever and are looking to some bespoke shoes, check out Tadeusz Januszkiewicz (but stay away from Kielman another store near him which is a rip off), the quality of his shoes are round about Edward Green standard but they are bespoke and fitted to your foot at around £350-400. If it weren't for the fact his soles are not stitched on and the heels are not the best part of his shoe making (being very straight as opposed to curved) they would certainly be of John Lobb standard.

I deviate apologies for the massive red herring, but I'm sure I can have some lovely gloves made bespoke in Poland for not so much money, will keep you all posted! If not then Chester Jefferies it is!

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I can't seem to find a glove with long enough fingers. My middle finger is 4 1/4 inches long, but I have slender hands. By the time you get up to a size 12 for finger length, the gloves are too loose. I s'pose one could by custom gloves, but OUCH! says the wallet.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tadeusz Januszkiewicz ........the quality of his shoes are round about Edward Green standard ......If it weren't for the fact his soles are not stitched on
How could they possibly be EG quality if they are glued!?!? [huh]

And at £350-400, go to Budapest and see Vass...................

bbcworld

New in Town
How could they possibly be EG quality if they are glued!?!? [huh]

And at £350-400, go to Budapest and see Vass...................

Well I own a pair of EGs which are not bespoke and at £600-700 they do not appear as handcrafted as Januszkiewicz's were (but they do have antiquiing which I remember Januszkiewicz cannot do) but I must say I was very tempted at the time with Januszkiewicz's work. Someone I know has had Lobbs made for him all his life (he is now around 70) his wife is Polish, hence how I came to hear of Januszkiewicz, he told me he had never owned a pair of shoes as comfortable in his life and at a pittence compared to what he paid for Lobbs, hence my interest.

I also found the glueing odd as his shoes have a full welt as shown on his site, when I visited his shop he showed me an example of stitched soles but don't know why he doesn't do this as a standard?

I've seen Vass shoes and tried Vass shoes, not that impressed I must say, and considering the whole of Germany knows of this supposed "Budapester" connection I doubt you will be getting hand made bespokes from Vass at £350.

There was a saying before the war "London for suits, Paris for shirts and Warsaw for shoes" Paris & London still exist as these today, but considering Warsaw was the most razed city of any in the World War (99.9% planned german destruction), today it says a lot that a hand full of shoe makers still provide the tradition of excellence even after Warsaw & Poland were ultimately annihilated and blanked with 50 years of Communism.

If it wasn't for the heels which only in my opinion could be rounder and the soles which are not stitched as a standard from what I have seen Januszkiewicz would certainly be up there with Lobb, his work is simply stunning.

Found these on the net.

DSC03436.jpg

I digress massively!

I called Chester Jefferies for £20 you can send in an outline of your hand and they'll have the gloves made after that to your fit your hand, so almost perfect bespoke!

Cancelled my trip to Poland so it'll have to wait but will keep you posted if I ever go again. Will keep you posted on glove progress!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran