Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The irrationality of looking out the door for your package

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I would very much like to see those jackets! Separate thread for each, of course. :)

Why is DHL so slow! Three days just to get the package from Scotland to Austria. Talk about express service...
Try getting an email saying the parcel has arrived in Sydney(just under 3 hour drive) and then not getting it for another week....luckily none of my stuff ever fits or is usually made to completely different specs or colours than what was ordered, so I get to delay the anti climatic tantrum and tears and the $100 return post for a few more days...I always enjoy those days, a bit exciting, thinking maybe this time it was worth it......;)

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Yeah, I would very much like to see those jackets! Separate thread for each, of course. :)

Why is DHL so slow! Three days just to get the package from Scotland to Austria. Talk about express service...

Package from Aero? Yes, they take the normal service. I'm sure you can get it faster if you're willing to pay the premium. ;)

pawineguy, well, they do have some killer chocolate there, though. lol

Try getting an email saying the parcel has arrived in Sydney(just under 3 hour drive) and then not getting it for another week....luckily none of my stuff ever fits or is usually made to completely different specs or colours than what was ordered, so I get to delay the anti climatic tantrum and tears and the $100 return post for a few more days...I always enjoy those days, a bit exciting, thinking maybe this time it was worth it......;)

lol lol I'll remember that the next time I start complaining about having to wait through the weekend. Seeing the parcel truck driving away on Friday... Man! Can't you just drive to the post office and pick it up there?

Okay, at least so far I've been lucky re. fit and all else. Except for that J106. And Vanson. Worst part is, I've asked for some extensive mods to be done to the jacket - always a stupid thing to do - and I can't even imagine what it turned out to be like, which is making the wait all the more difficult.

My only hope right now is that the package will somehow miraculously arrive at the local sort facility tonight, which means I could, in theory, pick it up Saturday morning. But hey, Austria is a whole 3 hours driving time away and since the DHL tracking states the parcel got processed there today, at 12:56 PM, I doubt that's going to happen in the next 13 hours.

Things like this remind me of how difficult life can be. :D

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Forget about it mate...Friday fever hits almost every industry.....from personal experience it hits the post office and truck drivers even harder than most. Domestic post here will hit the post office once a ticket Is left in the mailbox. Most of the international post requires a signature, so, they come 3 days in a row and if you miss it, I think it sits there for a week, and then goes back. I usually leave a signed note just saying leave it. I've got a couple of decent sized dogs, so asking them to leave it out the back isn't an option, and with rising crime around here, not too keen on leaving a Langlitz on the doorstep for more than 5 minutes.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
L
pawineguy, well, they do have some killer chocolate there, though. lol

lol lol I'll remember that the next time I start complaining about having to wait through the weekend. Seeing the parcel truck driving away on Friday... Man! Can't you just drive to the post office and pick it up there?

Okay, at least so far I've been lucky re. fit and all else. Except for that J106. And Vanson. Worst part is, I've asked for some extensive mods to be done to the jacket - always a stupid thing to do - and I can't even imagine what it turned out to be like, which is making the wait all the more difficult.

My only hope right now is that the package will somehow miraculously arrive at the local sort facility tonight, which means I could, in theory, pick it up Saturday morning. But hey, Austria is a whole 3 hours driving time away and since the DHL tracking states the parcel got processed there today, at 12:56 PM, I doubt that's going to happen in the next 13 hours.

Things like this remind me of how difficult life can be. :D

Ps. For the record, I think that J106 was the nicest example I've ever seen, and I liked the fit too. Just shows though, if you don't feel great in it, it doesn't matter what others think!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kills me is when I receive a notice that a package has been delivered to my office, but I am working at home or, worse yet, on the road. I have driven to my office on a Saturday/Sunday more than once for no other reason than to retrieve a package delivered on Friday or earlier in the week while I was away.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even worse is being stuck at work while your wife first sends a pic of the package then a pick of her wearing the jacket. My Belstaff Cougar just arrived.

Even WORSE is when your wife has exceptional sense of smell and claims a highly valuable vintage smells of mildew, or WORSE YET, when a brand new B3 sheepskin smells of mildew and I should put in the shed!!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Even worse is being stuck at work while your wife first sends a pic of the package then a pick of her wearing the jacket. My Belstaff Cougar just arrived.

Belstaff, y'say? Bar Tenders, can we check Jagernaut's FL credentials? I'm pretty sure that purchase will have violated his membership. :D

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
I walked down to the post office today with my slip to pick up a jacket that had arrived, and to get some exercise and fresh air. On my way back I was approaching home and saw the mail truck pull into the driveway. I had to jog the last quarter mile or so, which is the only running I've done in the past 20 years. Anyways, no heart attack, so I was able to get my packages from the mail lady while she was still in my driveway. Three more jackets had arrived! Wow, what a day, four jackets in one day...
pawineguy said:
Glad that you didn't suffer any ill effects from your impromptu run. Let's see some jackets now.
Monitor said:
Yeah, I would very much like to see those jackets! Separate thread for each, of course.
Few if any of these jackets will interest Fed Lounge members, but here's the list:

1. Propper CWU 106/P flyers jacket, part of the MCPS clothing system, brand new condition. I'm considering getting matching waterproof pants, but I probably wouldn't use them much.

2. H&M bomber jacket, nearly new condition, better made than Alpha's current stuff. Don't laugh, women love these jackets and if you're tall and thin they look great.

3. Henri Lloyd sailing jacket, dark blue and white. This one has some condition issues and a smell and I think it might be a bit short on me. I will do a handwash later today and once it's clean try it on. If it doesn't work I'll just give it away. It's hard to find top-end sailing jackets which aren't florescent red or yellow, although as I friend of mine who used to crew a civilian rescue boat observed, "When your boat capsizes in the middle of the lake and you're floating out there you'll want the florescent red or yellow coat so people like me can find you easier"... good point. UPDATE: This jacket turned out to be a dud. Washing had no effect(!) and as soon as it dries enough to go in the garbage it will. Three out of four is okay with me.

4. Musto Highland shooting/stalking coat, in nearly new condition. This has been a wish-list item for me since the mid 1990s and I finally have one. This is one of the early model coats from the early 1990s with 'number' sizing, light green shell, and the old-style tartan lining. Musto is the premiere maker of sailing jackets and they incorporated a big collar from their offshore/ocean jackets onto this jacket and included a gore-tex membrane so these are waterproof and weatherproof. That collar comes up to the TOP of my ears when flipped up! Thanks to our member BN1966 for being the middleman on this one.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
What kills me is when I receive a notice that a package has been delivered to my office, but I am working at home or, worse yet, on the road. I have driven to my office on a Saturday/Sunday more than once for no other reason than to retrieve a package delivered on Friday or earlier in the week while I was away.

I'll admit that when I get a ship date, I look at my schedule and will pay for two day shipping just to not have the hassle of it arriving when I'm not home, having to track it down at the post office, etc...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
pawineguy said:
^ That Musto is a serious shooting jacket! I'd get a lot of use out of that standing out at sporting events...
If you can get one of these coats in good condition then do so. It weighs almost nothing but covers almost everything. It seems almost delicate, but I know from reading many reviews over the years that they're tough coats. And they simply look different and a lot more posh than the usual Barbour getup.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Heh, so I see I'm not the only one that does this. Makes me feel a lot better, actually. As in, I don't feel as crazy anymore. lol

Yep, love that Musto, too.

Bunyip, you were right. Friday fever, package didn't move an inch entire day. Monday it is, then. You're right, that J106 was really the best I've ever seen, but... I didn't feel comfortable with the back length of the jacket. Funny thing, though, because at 24.5 inches, it felt boringly long...

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Heh, so I see I'm not the only one that does this. Makes me feel a lot better, actually. As in, I don't feel as crazy anymore. lol

My thoughts exactly! My post lady must have thought I was stalking her while I awaited the arrival of a Real McCoy's peacoat. Worth the wait. It's a work of art!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I missed the post lady yesterday but someone else was around to receive so the packages came anyways. Another Musto Highlands, this one in daily driver condition; just waiting for matching waterproof trousers. I can now suggest a typology for those jackets, which will interest no one I'm sure. Another H&M jacket, this one looking like a Barbour motorcycle jacket but longer and no belt (and no wax). Also arrived was a Barbour Berwick Endurance breathable field coat with zip-out warm liner, but it's got a light to moderate musty smell, so it won't be sticking around. Shame, since the quality and solidity (and I reckon longevity, as long as one avoids flames and knives) is far ahead of Barbour's waxed jackets.

But the future will mean no more packages for me, sadly, since the Musto coats more or less finish my outerwear tick list. The only thing outstanding is an NYPD leather mounted coat, but that will have to bought in person. And yes, BN1966, I will get one, so shut it!

I shall miss the packages. Like emails, they provide a weird roundabout kind of recognition and validation of one's existence...

pawineguy

One Too Many
I missed the post lady yesterday but someone else was around to receive so the packages came anyways. Another Musto Highlands, this one in daily driver condition; just waiting for matching waterproof trousers. I can now suggest a typology for those jackets, which will interest no one I'm sure. Another H&M jacket, this one looking like a Barbour motorcycle jacket but longer and no belt (and no wax). Also arrived was a Barbour Berwick Endurance breathable field coat with zip-out warm liner, but it's got a light to moderate musty smell, so it won't be sticking around. Shame, since the quality and solidity (and I reckon longevity, as long as one avoids flames and knives) is far ahead of Barbour's waxed jackets.

But the future will mean no more packages for me, sadly, since the Musto coats more or less finish my outerwear tick list. The only thing outstanding is an NYPD leather mounted coat, but that will have to bought in person. And yes, BN1966, I will get one, so shut it!

I shall miss the packages. Like emails, they provide a weird roundabout kind of recognition and validation of one's existence...

God I would miss packages...

I've got TWO on the way. I am not overly excited though because it's so warm here that I probably won't get a chance to wear them until November.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm expecting some paperclip style zipper pullers, and some studs I bought from ebay, also a pair of jeans, boots, and something else... these days I go out for morning walk in high spirit, and then later feeling totally crushed seeing no package on top of the drawer, I really need those zippers sliders since the jacket they should be mounted on is in the making... and I bought them more than a month ago from china.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner