Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The KitchenAid: Modern, Vintage or Timeless?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I drool over KitchenAid standmixers. It's pretty much the only thing my kitchen is lacking. My other half and I see having a home and being a complete must include 2 seperate ranges in the kitchen so we don't get into each other's way and a KitchenAid 6-quart Pro Standmixer. He's a chef and baking is pretty much my life. Alas, it's not in the cards for a long long time. Maybe if I'm good Santa will bring me one for Christmas... I envy you all lol.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I was blessed, and fortunate enough to receive a burgundy/deep red Artisan 20 days ago for my 40th birthday. MrsRedPop had ordered it months ago.

I've used it twice, so far, I baked two batches of rolls last week, and I'm thrilled with it.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Vermifuge said:
I kind of liked the "pistachio"color KitchenAid. but two things were keeping me from it. 1) It only comes in a tilt head variety and 2) I have a hard enough time defending my sexuality owning a KitchenAid yet alone in a pastel Green color ;)

Surely you jest.

I have this model (in the same gray color):

B00004SGG3.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...and it is the most "manly" of kitchen appliances. Just the sound of the motor screams "Power!" Plus, it's dangerous. You know just by looking at it that it would be happy to break all your fingers if you don't respect it. It's been a workhorse for 17 years.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
photobyalan said:
Surely you jest.

I have this model (in the same gray color):

...and it is the most "manly" of kitchen appliances. Just the sound of the motor screams "Power!" Plus, it's dangerous. You know just by looking at it that it would be happy to break all your fingers if you don't respect it. It's been a workhorse for 17 years.

I have heard some reports (on the kitchenaid forums) that the black plat of the gear box tends to break on the modern version of this mixer (the same one i have and also the same gray color) Mine hasn't complained after 2 years of service but i'm glad they know of the problem and are willing to fix it free of charge should it break.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mixmaster

I had a really ancient (1940's vinatge) Mixmaster that I tossed out, under pressure, during my last move because it was utterly and completely trashed. But I still hated to do it.
But speaking about KitchenAids, I read a couple of posts on another website that touted the DeLonghi DSM-5 mixer. It was formerly made by a British company called Kenwood. Supposed to be better than the KitchenAid.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
I had a really ancient (1940's vinatge) Mixmaster that I tossed out, under pressure, during my last move because it was utterly and completely trashed. But I still hated to do it.
But speaking about KitchenAids, I read a couple of posts on another website that touted the DeLonghi DSM-5 mixer. It was formerly made by a British company called Kenwood. Supposed to be better than the KitchenAid.

I have seen the same reviews. and it is impressive. i think what it comes down to is i really enjoy the look of the KA. something about it's design. one of those rare combinations of form and function,.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I really like the current "lemongrass" color, its a cheery green.

But the breast-cancer one is the one I'd probably get, though I'd like if they offered charitable ones in a color other than pink. Pink does not go with Fiestaware! :rage: lol

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I feel your pain...

dhermann1 said:

My mom had a Mixmaster from the same period. She was a fantastic baker, and she finally let it die after having the motor rebuilt twice.
I inherited her K55, and it's fantastic. After Hobart sold Kitchenaid, the new models did take the cheap route for awhile. They were "found out" by consumers, and the newer models have most of the quality that the old Hobart models had.

Some folks don't know that DeWalt tools are owned by Black and Decker. B&D realized the quality reputation of DeWalt, and only tampered with the brand a little bit.

I agree with you dhermann that the Kitchenaid is a serious power tool (insert the appropriate Tim Allen grunt here)! :D

warbird

One Too Many
The large pro model still uses the steel gears.

My old Hamilton Beach made in 1948 finally died last week.:(

I had used it weekly since I acquired it from my grandmother when I got my first college apartment 20 something years ago. She bought it new when my dad was just a kid.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
The large pro model still uses the steel gears.

My old Hamilton Beach made in 1948 finally died last week.:(

I had used it weekly since I acquired it from my grandmother when I got my first college apartment 20 something years ago. She bought it new when my dad was just a kid.

i'm sure it can be serviced. jut a matter of finding a place to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo