Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lawrence Welk Show

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
If I had the space and means, I'd decorate a room like a set on LW. I love watching it Saturday nights on PBS. I know it's campy but gosh I can't help but smile! I love when the camera shows the older audience couples dancing, looking happy as can be. The "Wunnerful Women" have a wholesome loveliness to them. I think I may need to dress like a Champagne Lady next Halloween...or next week!

Any other LW fans?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a child, I watched the LW show. It was one of my Grandmother's favorite shows in the early 1960's. I still enjoy watching the show, especially the early ones. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My great aunts who were in their sixties and seventies loved the show. This was back when those shows you saw were first broadcast. He definitely had a strong following among the older generation. His style of music was what they were used to in their youth, before jazz, swing and rock and roll.

Actually the Lawrence Welk band could play hotter than you might think. Those who saw his live shows all say so. The reason he played it so square on TV and radio was that his first radio sponsor demanded it, and he got type cast.

1961MJS

Hi

I think Tom mentioned in another thread, the reason I didn't like to watch Lawrence. He was Syrupy sweet. The band was great, most of the singers were great, but Lawrence was "too nice".

Later

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I think Tom mentioned in another thread, the reason I didn't like to watch Lawrence. He was Syrupy sweet. The band was great, most of the singers were great, but Lawrence was "too nice".

Later

Too nice compared to what or whom?

When all I see on contemporary TV is vulgarity, gratuitous violence, letting it all hang out, mean-spirited cat fight reality shows, etc, I welcome "too nice."

I think everyone here knows my fondness of the Lawrence Welk Show. It's one of my absolute favorites. There's no such thing as 'too nice' in my book. Mr. Welk was always my favorite person on the show, because I felt like I could be friends with him. I love the music, and that it's just a simple, happy show; nothing bad.

It drives my dad crazy that I watch it. He grew up with his dad always insisting on watching it and well, my dad's not a fan of his dad lol

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I love it and my fondness for it has rubbed off on my husband. I really enjoy the costumes...some of the older episodes have some pretty spectacular fashion! The holiday specials are always a favorite too. Anyone who says otherwise I gladly show the door. ;)

When I was younger, I wished I could dance like Bobby and his various dance partners throughout the years. They don't seem to show the older episodes on PBS much anymore, here's one where he was pretty young yet.

[video=youtube_share;_oZ1cP1bxx0]http://youtu.be/_oZ1cP1bxx0[/video]

Just noticed one of the comments on the youtube clip too...I think it sums it up pretty nicely about the overall class the show held onto during it's running: "Hey, why make fun of the audience? This was in 1961, the culture was not blessed yet with stage diving, drugged out groping, overdoses,partially nude groupies, incoherent screaming, or passing around the doob or pipe and getting high as a kite or fights in the parking lot....have a little compassion, please. They hadn't a chance to "evolve" up to today's standards...just sitting and enjoying great music was enough for these "uncultured" ones..." How true!

Last edited:
I love it and my fondness for it has rubbed off on my husband. I really enjoy the costumes...some of the older episodes have some pretty spectacular fashion! The holiday specials are always a favorite too. Anyone who says otherwise I gladly show the door. ;)

When I was younger, I wished I could dance like Bobby and his various dance partners throughout the years. They don't seem to show the older episodes on PBS much anymore, here's one where he was pretty young yet.

[video=youtube_share;_oZ1cP1bxx0]http://youtu.be/_oZ1cP1bxx0[/video]

Just noticed one of the comments on the youtube clip too...I think it sums it up pretty nicely about the overall class the show held onto during it's running: "Hey, why make fun of the audience? This was in 1961, the culture was not blessed yet with stage diving, drugged out groping, overdoses,partially nude groupies, incoherent screaming, or passing around the doob or pipe and getting high as a kite or fights in the parking lot....have a little compassion, please. They hadn't a chance to "evolve" up to today's standards...just sitting and enjoying great music was enough for these "uncultured" ones..." How true!

Amen there! I didn't like it too much at the time because every Saturday my family would get together at my grandmother's house and that would inevitably be on TV.:rolleyes: I can see it differently now that I am not forced to see it. I liked Hee Haw better than and still do though. :p
Oh and this one is hilarious. Thanks to Tom for reminding me of it:
[video=youtube_share;Ye3ecDYxOkg]http://youtu.be/Ye3ecDYxOkg[/video]
One of the Newer songs. lol A modern spiritual! :rofl:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
It's not the (truly skillful) dancing that grates on me in this YouTube clip: it's the music in the background! What's with those voices chirping "la la la"?

I'd take that over someone screaming into a microphone and labeling it "metal" rock any day.

[video=youtube_share;EMdS9ExnW-w]http://youtu.be/EMdS9ExnW-w[/video]

1961MJS

Too nice compared to what or whom?

When all I see on contemporary TV is vulgarity, gratuitous violence, letting it all hang out, mean-spirited cat fight reality shows, etc, I welcome "too nice."

Hi, I had the "too nice" in quotes for a reason. Syrupy is probably the better word. Too syrupy for me to watch. I agree about the rest of television, but I still liked it better when the guy with the white goatee conducted.

Better??

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I had the "too nice" in quotes for a reason. Syrupy is probably the better word. Too syrupy for me to watch. I agree about the rest of television, but I still liked it better when the guy with the white goatee conducted.

Better??

I know what you mean, but still think it's sweet syrup. MUCH better than the saccharine schlock on the Hallmark Channel, for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy