Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lawrence Welk Show

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Welk wouldn't have been in the music business for fifty years without knowing about such things -- in the Era, touring musicians were the reefer peddler's number one customers. Even musicians in "mickey mouse" bands were known to indulge.

(I have a hilarious radio recording from 1934 featuring Ozzie Nelson's rendition of "Reefer Man." The only thing funnier would be a Welk rendition of the same number.)

Welk wouldn't have been in the music business for fifty years without knowing about such things -- in the Era, touring musicians were the reefer peddler's number one customers. Even musicians in "mickey mouse" bands were known to indulge.

(I have a hilarious radio recording from 1934 featuring Ozzie Nelson's rendition of "Reefer Man." The only thing funnier would be a Welk rendition of the same number.)

I don't know. The Village People said they didn't what they were singing about. :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Welk wouldn't have been in the music business for fifty years without knowing about such things --

Yep. The key question is not whether Mr. Welk knew, but whether his show's target audience would know. It's pretty safe to bet that most of them wouldn't ... so Mr. Welk's show was 'home free' to play the song. (Apparently, the censors were asleep on the job that day.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
What on earth????????????

http://gawker.com/5877503/eight+year+old-girl-releases-first-relevant-hardcore-song-in-two-decades

This was just in my facebook feed. I need some LW right now!

An eight-year-old girl who hates frat boys. Such good sense for someone so young. ;)

The video shows that it's just a silly, gimmicky 'novelty' song with a kid in it. Every country in the world has its own gimmicky kid-sung songs: they usually come out in the summertime, along with other mindless summer songs. (It's summertime in Australia right now.)

Last edited:
Yep. The key question is not whether Mr. Welk knew, but whether his show's target audience would know. It's pretty safe to bet that most of them wouldn't ... so Mr. Welk's show was 'home free' to play the song. (Apparently, the censors were asleep on the job that day.)

That is a pretty good point. Our grandparents might have even gone around singing it after hearing it on the show! :rofl:

I seldom watch those shows. I prefer Andy Griffith and the Beverly Hillbillies.

One of my friends has tastes very similar to yours (though I don't think he's a Lawrence Welk fan). Lemme guess... Were some of your other favorite TV shows Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons?

I mean, I'm surprised that nobody tried to stop him from airing this.

How do you tell Lawrence Welk that you want to sing a dope smoking song? :p

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
One of my friends has tastes very similar to yours (though I don't think he's a Lawrence Welk fan). Lemme guess... Were some of your other favorite TV shows Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons?

The Waltons are awesome! Watching the Christmas movie was always a tradition at my grandparents. The sisters and their family "recipe" always crack me up.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wunnerful? Wunnerful!

lawrence-welk-musical-spoons_1026.jpg
lawrence-welk-musical-spoons_1022.jpg

lawrence-welk-musical-spoons.jpg

lawrence-welk-musical-spoons_1023.jpg

lawrence-welk-vase_9014.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members