Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lawrence Welk Show

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How old do you have to be to use Geritol®?
Anyone 12 years of age or older may use any of the Geritol products.

http://www.geritol.com/faq.php

Who knew? ;)

They used to sell Geritol Jr., a kids' tonic formula, that my mother zealously fed to me. Tasted like a cross between Moxie and Havoline, but it seemed to work. At least I didn't fall into convulsions on swallowing it.

Geritol also used to sponsor Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour up until 1970 or so, another favorite in our house, so between that and Welk, we got a thorough brainwashing from Geritol advertising.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Oh, boy. I wish I had a nickel for every time we visited Gram and Gramps
and they were watching the Lawrence Welk Show :).

"Anna one, anna two..."

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
[video=youtube;A6XoP09ta-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XoP09ta-U[/video]

I ran across an article about how their father was murdered in the golf course parking lot where he worked. :( My mom always said she loved listening to the Lennon Sisters but she never mentioned that detail.

A co-worker (born 1956) was just talking about how he remembered watching Lawrence Welk with his parents and grandparents as a kid.

In the early days, he was sponsored by Dodge. I've got an old Life Magazine around here somewhere with a Dodge ad reminding readers to 'tune into our show Dodge Dance Party with Lawrence Welk.'

He was a loyal Dodge owner until the day he died, because of all they did for him to get him started. In the early years, Mr. and Mrs. Welk, as well as the entire band got a new Dodge. The Welks got a new one every year from Dodge.

olive bleu

One Too Many
My husband grew up watching LAWRENCE WELK every week, a fact he did not bother to disclose to me untill AFTER we were married. This meant, that i now had to watch it every saturday..or else sit somewhere else in the house to eat dinner. ( yes, we eat dinner with the TV on:eeek: )

I recall my parents watching it sometimes, but i don't think religiously like my husbands family did. But i have come to love it too. It's now been a tradition in our house for 20 years. I especially love it when my teenage kids invite their friends to stay for dinner .

And, i love it that it is SWEET and extra NICE. I seem to have a lot of angry people around me these days. the world could use a little Lawrence Welk.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Rathdown

Practically Family
About Mr. Welk's Dodge: Welk's contract with Chrysler called for him to receive a new Dodge car every year. When Dodge pulled the plug on Welk's show the free cars stopped arriving, and Welk sued. Ultimately he prevailed in his breech of contract suit, and Chrysler had to continue to supply him with cars. But, there was nothing in the contract that stated which model Dodge car would be provided; Chrysler used this loop hole to give Welk a stripped-down Dodge Dart, complete with a special chrome plated "Lawrence Welk" signature tacked to the driver's door. Mr. Welk, who was extremely frugal (some accused him of being down right cheap), accepted the car and I regularly saw him drive onto the ABC TV Prospect and Talmadge lot for the taping of the Lawrence Welk Show.

Last edited:
I'm dying to go to Branson one of these days!

I've always wanted to see the Titanic Museum there

titanic-museum-branson-mo.jpg

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I've always wanted to see the Titanic Museum there
titanic-museum-branson-mo.jpg
Been there! Great museum but a little heavy handed with the Leonardo DiCaprio movie undertones, complete with Celine's music playing in the background. :p They had people dressed as steerage and staff characters there guiding you around, some did a great job playing the part. My husband and I had our picture taken on the Grand Staircase but I've since lost the picturem :( I would love to go back, not far from the museum is a wax museum, they had a lot of great Golden Age movies depicted there, the only downside was that it was open air and some were deteriotated from the summer heat.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My husband grew up watching LAWRENCE WELK every week, a fact he did not bother to disclose to me untill AFTER we were married. This meant, that i now had to watch it every saturday..or else sit somewhere else in the house to eat dinner. ( yes, we eat dinner with the TV on:eeek: )

I recall my parents watching it sometimes, but i don't think religiously like my husbands family did. But i have come to love it too. It's now been a tradition in our house for 20 years. I especially love it when my teenage kids invite their friends to stay for dinner .

And, i love it that it is SWEET and extra NICE. I seem to have a lot of angry people around me these days. the world could use a little Lawrence Welk.

This makes me smile. Thank you for sharing this. If you were local I'd invite you over for a Lawrence Welk dinner party!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy