Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lawrence Welk Show

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Me about Welk

LW is hit-or-miss with me. Seems like a very nice man: old-school, hard-working, taskmaster German Catholic. (Frugal pay and if you were late for a gig you were fired.) I'm not quite a fan but love the period and its music of course and agree with the poster on the wholesomely lovely girls. The early shows seem better. But I'm with the detractors on the cloying aspect (before I read this thread I didn't know why he was typecast that way; thanks) and the worst shows in my opinion were at the end in the '70s: garish and misguided half-hearted attempts to look hip (fashion, hairstyles such as helmet hair on the men, etc.), a mistake if you're intentionally doing a cornball nostalgia show! (He should have paid attention to his own advice: ever see the episode or clips from it where they pretended to turn hippie for a while?) So I can only watch the show in limited doses, unlike listening to great big-band music. He had that famous interesting accent too: from a German-speaking town in the Dakotas where the teachers who taught him English spoke that way. Not like a German in a war movie but gentler; a lot of people think he was Swedish. Yes, a deranged fan who wanted to marry one of the Lennon Sisters (they went to the same LA Catholic high school as Welk's son) shot their father to death.

I thought the same on spooning (cute) and we may never know the story behind 'One Toke Over the Line' getting on the show. (Did Cash write and record that song? I remember it was a hit for someone else.)

Interesting how the network cancelled him. I think it was ABC in 1971. That year CBS did the same sort of thing for the same reason. It wasn't because of ratings but because the networks decided they didn't want old people watching any more. Lots of people still watched Welk and CBS's cornball '60s comedies like 'The Beverly Hillbillies'. But the networks wanted to be hip so they took off shows people still watched and put on things like Norman Lear's sitcoms (which in their own way could be very good – Archie Bunker was more than a buffoon), telling people what they thought they should watch. Anyway, Welk moved to PBS for a decade until, realizing he was starting to turn senile, he retired. RIP.

[video=youtube;oFmSv2WFDrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmSv2WFDrs[/video]

He had that famous interesting accent too: from a German-speaking town in the Dakotas where the teachers who taught him English spoke that way. Not like a German in a war movie but gentler; a lot of people think he was Swedish.

Lawrence Welk's family were ethnic Germans from what is now the Ukraine which also probably explained his unusual (for German) accent. A friend of mine is an ethnic Ukrainian from Poland and he sounds a bit like Lawrence Welk.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Welk had stubbornly refused to take elocution lessons to lose the accent -- unlike Sammy Kaye, who led a very similar type of stage-show orchestra, and who had come from Czechosolvakia with a very similar sort of dialect. Kaye figured he'd never get anywhere in music with an accent, and studied for years with an elocution teacher to lose it -- and when he saw how popular Welk became on television, he regretted spending the money!

Often forgotten are Welk's various radio shows -- he had his own show on ABC in the late forties, and he was still active in the medium as late as 1985 with a syndicated hour-long radio show, featuring clips from the TV series bridged with new introductions and interview segments. This series was a very popular fixture on Sunday afternoons at the first station I worked at.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I like Welk. I didn't use to as a tike in the 70s, when we had to sit in Aunt Mary's master bedroom after dinner and watch - I would rather have been off with my comic books. But my aunt also gave me her big band albums, which started me on a lifelong vintage music kick. (Sadly I didn't inherit her leviathan Farnsworth AM-FM-radio-phono.)

In my 40s I rediscovered Welk because of the sheer musicianship and showmanship that you can see if you care to wipe away the cheese and the demographic pandering. Those two terms - musicianship and showmanship - don't go together today in the way they used to. Even in Welk's heyday they were usually not on speaking terms, and I really do hear them together in his troupe in a way that was much more common in the 1920s to 40s.

Here's a bit of the 1938 edition of the Champagne Music, which was merely Mickey Mousy, not cheesy. Even the mice were starved in the 30s.
[video=youtube;Dptyj_iLke4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dptyj_iLke4[/video]

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My husband and I always catch ourselves watching this. We love it. He loves the women and I also love the old couples dancing! :D It's good, clean fun and we always get a kick out of it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I just wonder if that poor Black guy is still tap dancing!!! LOL! As a musician I heard that Welk only paid "union scale" no matter HOW popular you became on his show. I'm not knocking the guy. He was a weekend staple in our house along with Bandstand, Mutual of Omaha, Disney and Bonanza. God, I'm gettin' old.

Worf

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
As far as I know he still is. Arthur Duncan of Pasadena. I think Welk was sensitive to the criticism of Duncan as a stereotype on the show so in the '70s episodes he'd have him talk before his numbers.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know he still is. Arthur Duncan of Pasadena. I think Welk was sensitive to the criticism of Duncan as a stereotype on the show so in the '70s episodes he'd have him talk before his numbers.

Wow... thanks for the knowledge. I could stomach Welk, Mitch Miller was another story. "Sing Along With Mitch" gave me hives. THAT was corny if you ask me. Hee Haw was loved. As the child of southern black folks my Mom and her sisters and brothers all loved Hee Haw for some reason. Those silly songs are still in my head. "BR549" LOL! Thanks this thread's broght back a lot of memories.

Worf

Hee Haw was loved. As the child of southern black folks my Mom and her sisters and brothers all loved Hee Haw for some reason. Those silly songs are still in my head. "BR549" LOL! Thanks this thread's broght back a lot of memories.

Worf

My favorite repeat bit on Hee Haw

[video=youtube;Dzc1oVXbLjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzc1oVXbLjw&feature=related[/video]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Very interesting! Just when I thought I knew everything about Mr. Welk.

squeezediner.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy