Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lee Lounge

buler

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
¡Hey, I got one too! A Lee "Fifth Avenue"; bought it on the American bay most of a year ago, it's a rather heavy and thick long-hair hat, definitely winter seasonal, with what I believe to be "old fashioned Fedora" elements, in fact alleged to be from the very late forties (probably fifties, but who knows, I'm a bit puzzled by the more sixties marketing things like -if I'm not mistaken, the hat's at home- a "Dupont" label?).

Don't mess with me! (huff, huff..lol )
Pablo

Pablo, thats a great lid. I'd go with the mid-40s to early 50s. Don't worry about the "Dupont" label. I've seen Lee's water-bloc process mentioned as early as 1934 and the Dupont Aridex as early as 1941.

B

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Thanks Buler.
I tend to agree to some logic that there's no need to make a basically 1940 or 1950's style hat during the sixties; it wouldn't have sold.
The hat certainly looks "serious". The sweatband is broad and excellent quality.
Other than the (encircled) "Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc", and "Du Pont - Water Repellent - Shape Retaining", the sweatband mentions "Gold Label", and "Beaver Nap Twenty" and, indeed, carries a "$20" original Lee price tag behind the sweat.
It was originally sold by "The Gately Shops", 241 Michigan Avenue, Detroit.

I wore it a few days ago going (by public bus) to a museum in Leuven, a wonderful Rogier Van Der Weyden (15th century painter) exhibition...in the driving rain. It got thoroughly wet, but that had not the slightest effect on the hat's shape. The water evaporated...

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Lee Trinity

My newly arrived Lee Trinity from Johnnyphi.

At the Johnnyphi website the ribbon is described as slightly green, but it's definitely not. It looks more as if there is a hint of magenta, but this really depends on the lighting situation.

Measurements:

Brim 2 1/2"
Crown 4 1/2" (creased)
Ribbon 1 5/8"
Binding 3/8"

Lee-Trinity-Gray.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
Lee Adventure

Here's a Lee Adventure, courtesy of Johnnyphi. It's a nice light felt and in NOS condition. A couple minor moth nibbles. Overall a very nice hat with a gray tone, and in the right light it looks light blue.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I understand they made Marathons and I thought they made Pilgrims for Sears too, but if I had seen one of those nifty Lee liners you guys are coming up with, I don't think I would have forgotten it!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lee Double Brim

Its marked as a Lee Double Brim. But besides the fact that its a very thick felt, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a doubling of the brim. But the brim edge finish is not so perfect, so maybe someone trimmed it. :eusa_doh:

B

lee_1.jpg

lee_2.jpg

lee_3.jpg

lee_4.jpg

lee_5.jpg

lee_6.jpg

lee_7.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lee Palm Springs Blue Label

This thread has been abandoned for some time.

5490233340_8881aa25f5_b.jpg
5489644019_5ec4258f49_z.jpg
5489639501_c4892c8463_z.jpg
5490237542_ac9c576c73_z.jpg
5489276787_b204442874_z.jpg

Brim has a short underwelt and just over 2-1/2" wide. A moderately light and soft felt-almost fluffy. Needs humidity to retain shaping.
The fragments remaining of the factory paper tag look like the above Double Brim.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24