Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The lone hat and several hats

Phobic

New in Town
I've noticed something and was wondering if anyone else has noticed it too. And I'm also wondering what the folks here speculate about it.

I've got a couple friends who also wear fedoras and other hats, and I've noticed that whenever we go out in our hats we get lots of comments. If I'm alone or the only person with a hat, I'll get the occasional comment from a stranger. For example: the other day I went to lunch with my friend who wears a fedora, and in the course of our meal five or six people stopped to comment/talk as the walked past.

I'm really interested to what you guys think as to the why of this. thanks for the input.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wearing hats en mass has a greater effect on viewers: 2+2=5, as it were.

Remember the scene in the film Reservoir Dogs when a group of men walk toward the audience? All the men were wearing identical black suits, white shirts, and black neckties. The overall effect was much stronger than it would have if only one of the men had been dressed that way.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
not with the band

The same thing happens as in groups when i photograph a musician

wearing a proper hat (not ball cap) people in the crowd seem to comment

more on my hat.
MFBLUESweb.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it is more than that...

A one on one interaction may seem too personal - like a come-on or a pick-up. But when a group is together, it is ofter easier to comment 'generally' or to share the comment/compliment amongst the several. It's a psychological thing - it takes a pretty strong person with secure self-esteem to just approach a stanger and offer a compliment. The risk of rejection and/or confrontation is just to fearful. Aren't we all a little like that?

-dixon cannon

Tony in Tarzana

The few times I've participated in gatherings of hat-wearers, I've definitely noticed it. I also notice that I stand straighter and walk more purposefully when I'm with a bunch of well-dressed gents. There's a definite aura about us. :)

I get compliments whether alone or with people. Alone I get them from older men. With a group, I get them from men and women. Perhaps the thing about not wanting to sound like a come on or something is in effect for women there. [huh] I could always do with some ego stroking though. :p

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dixon Cannon said:
A one on one interaction may seem too personal - like a come-on or a pick-up. But when a group is together, it is ofter easier to comment 'generally' or to share the comment/compliment amongst the several. It's a psychological thing - it takes a pretty strong person with secure self-esteem to just approach a stanger and offer a compliment. The risk of rejection and/or confrontation is just to fearful. Aren't we all a little like that?

-dixon cannon

I concur in large part, especially a man complementing another man. But, I seem to have no difficulty complementing a woman;)

Twitch

Perhaps when folks see several guys in hats they imagine that they're missing some trend and feel compelled to comment and/or stare. Alone when someone gives me a "nice hat" comment I wonder if they think they might see how they'd look in a fedora and are maybe interested enough to seek a hat out. Sometimes I reply "Thanks! Good deals on Ebay," in case they are curious as to where to get one.:fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24