Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Long Oval Unfortunate's Club

ideaguy

One Too Many
oh, to see that sweet little tag sticking out of the sweatband: LO
they've become two of my favorite letters...I've gone to the extent of getting my hair cut so that I've got some extra on the sides to help compensate for the gaps in da hats, although they do make some good places to hide pencils, an extra rolled-up fiver or two... and I too have seen the price absolutely soar when someone re-reads the ad copy on eBay and realizes that its one of those!!
Saw one hat jump $150.00- and the guy had the moxie to admit that he didn't care how much it cost, he was going to get a hat that finally fit him! (read it in the feedback to the seller...)
oh, woe is us.[huh]

Brinybay

Practically Family
Dumb question from a newbie, but what is "Long Oval"? I know my hat size is 7 1/8, but how do I tell if I'm LO? Are there other designations of Oval, e.g. is there a Short Oval? Medium Oval?

citRon

A-List Customer
I'm a real freak. 7 1/8 LO...but my true size is 7 1/16th LO. (56.5 cm's) -7 RO is too small, 7 1/8 is too big. A 7 1/8 LO is my compromise.
I wonder if I could try one of those stretchers in a size 7? I recently ordered a Federation, and Deb told me to get a 56 cm, a 7. She said she, too was a 56.5. So, we'llsee how that works out.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Whining....

All this whining about sizes 7-1/8 to 7-5/8 long ovals makes me laugh. At least you have normal sized heads. Try finding long ovals in sizes 7-3/4 and upwards. Better yet, try finding regular ovals in sizes 7-3/4 and upwards.....

Clan of the pumpkin heads

lookoutscj

New in Town
I can commiserate with all! 7 3/8th Long Oval here...the posts are spot on about vintage blocked LO's being the tickets for we blessed with that head shape. I have a 50's vintage Open Road in Long 3/8 Oval that is a perfect fit in every way and for tha reason has been my "Go To" hat for decades now.
Surely some custom hatters out there have captured some vintage LO blocks for us??
And yes, I'm one of those that has paid dearly for those LO letters myself...
Kind Regards to all,
lookoutscj

jkingrph

Practically Family
7 1/4 LO and a 12 A shoe!
Shoes are hard to find, I found a small store in N Miss. where I can get Allen Edmonds, expensive but they last well, and have been getting some casual types custom made by Russell Moccasin.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
wenestvedt said:
Are modern "production" - that is, not bespoke -- hats available in Long Oval? I just bought my first good hat, an Akubra, and I didn't think I could get it in LO (and I ended up with the felt strips they sent along folded double just to keep the wind out from the sides of my melon!).

Come to think of it, I may not want to hear the answer to this!

- Will

I wear a 7 1/8 long oval, but I have found that if I buy a hat with virtually no stiffener, the fit is great, right from the start. The more stiffener, the more uncomfortable the hat. (See my previous post for my usual remedy, in that case.) :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Glee said:
I've got it double bad - I'm a 7 7/8 Long Oval. Which means, of course, that I'm basically out of luck entirely on vintage.

I'm in precisely the same boat, Glee -- and I'm no happier about it than you are.

Heck, even modern hats are hard to find in that size. I've started to look around for my straw hat and it seems that easily two-thirds of them, if not more, don't come in our size.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Hey Big Heads! I wear a 7 7/8 and have the exact same troubles you all have.
I sent an e-mail to Peters Bros hats about a Dobbs Dayton hat I really admire.
Unfortunately, the largest it is available is 7 3/4. I received a VERY prompt and courteous reply that they could remove the sweatband, stretch the hat to fit me and sew in another LARGER sweatband for an additional $30.
I haven't ordered this hat yet but I thought that was exceptional customer service and a good option for us huge headed hat wearers!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
My primary hats are all Akubra felts, and I've never had a problem getting them to conform to my head after some wear. Panamas, though - the brim gets all goofy. I like panamas. Wish I could wear them effectively.

I'm always jealous of the awesome vintage numbers sported around here - but I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I may never find one that will fit me.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Atomic Glee said:
My primary hats are all Akubra felts, and I've never had a problem getting them to conform to my head after some wear. Panamas, though - the brim gets all goofy. I like panamas. Wish I could wear them effectively.

I'm always jealous of the awesome vintage numbers sported around here - but I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I may never find one that will fit me.
You can fix the thing with the Panama's. I have a Montecristi from Panama Bob that my XLO head just distorts horribly. It is on its way to Art for a reblocking.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24